Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Project: Teacup Firmware

Posted by Triffid_Hunter 
Re: Project: Teacup Firmware
March 10, 2016 11:55AM
One more thing:
I added upload flags option in Configtool. Should have no problem uploading to Arduino board now.

March 12, 2016 07:39AM
I'm currently testing the movement, almost everything looks good, except some issues when homing:

1. There is some "overshoot" when the carriages are moving upward, despite defining endstop clearance variables to a lower value.
  2. When homing, sometimes the Z carriage moves slightly slower than other carriage. Leftover codes from cartesian movement?

I'm using ramping acceleration with 200mm/s^2 acceleration, lookahead enabled. Tweaked acceleration value and maximum feedrate to various value, nothing effective. Precision endstop searching works fine though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 07:48AM by rollingdice.
March 12, 2016 07:48AM
rollingdice
There is some "overshoot" when the carriages are moving upward, despite defining endstop clearance variables to a lower value.

This is by design. Teacup doesn't try to break laws of physics and decelerates properly after an endstop hit. After doing so it should move back slowly for high accuracy. This "overshoot" can be controlled by ENDSTOP_CLEARANCE_{XYZ} in the printer configuration. The larger, the better (faster homing movements). Higher acceleration also means higher homing velocities.

rollingdice
When homing, sometimes the Z carriage moves slightly slower than other carriage. Leftover codes from cartesian movement?

No idea on this one.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 12, 2016 08:18AM
Maybe, because on any move it enable and disable the z-motor. Any other motor is on by default.
That is one thing i would change. My z-axis is too heavy for the spindle and will move downwards while motor is disabled.

Here and in some other lines of dda.c.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
March 12, 2016 08:18AM
Traumflug
rollingdice
There is some "overshoot" when the carriages are moving upward, despite defining endstop clearance variables to a lower value.

This is by design. Teacup doesn't try to break laws of physics and decelerates properly after an endstop hit. After doing so it should move back slowly for high accuracy. This "overshoot" can be controlled by ENDSTOP_CLEARANCE_{XYZ} in the printer configuration. The larger, the better (faster homing movements). Higher acceleration also means higher homing velocities.
Alright, I think I'm gonna lower the clearance more. Current value is 100, going to try 25 or less.
Edit: I also got rippling on my print result, especially on curved surface. There is stuttering when the effector moves with curved path. Any idea on how to solve this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 08:30AM by rollingdice.
March 12, 2016 08:38AM
rollingdice
Alright, I think I'm gonna lower the clearance more. Current value is 100, going to try 25 or less.

That's in micrometers, so 100 is just 0.1 mm. Even to touch-probe metal surfaces with a milling bit I can use 100 without leaving a scratch. Microswitches without lever should allow 500, ones with lever a lot more.

No idea on the stuttering. Tests to find the cause could include to move very slowly to make sure processing speed isn't exhausted.

March 13, 2016 01:32AM
I've tested with lower speed, under 30mm/s the stuttering is not noticable. However, this speed is unacceptably slow. Will changing acceleration helps lighten computational load?
March 13, 2016 03:10AM
As computations in dda_step() are unchanged for deltas, yes, trying to simplify computations in dda_clock() is probably the way to go.

March 13, 2016 05:41PM
long time no see

I got somewhat distracted by real lifetm on my task to fix my cupcake. I fixed the heater initialization bug with the mainboard/extruder, though that code is not in releasable form.

Still, I have some patches that can be used right now:

- negativ floats regex: the regex only allowed for positive floats, which prevents printers with an origin on the center of the build envelope to use the full space
fix: allow negative floats

- EWMA range fix: found while looking for places that use the float regex; the EWMA tooltip says the valid range is 0.001 - 1.0, the code only allows 0.1 - 1.0
fix: allow the full range 0.001 - 1.0

-tx/rx enable: a fix for the fix for issue 179; reading the tx/rx enable pins in for the mainboard/extruder coms was fixed, printing them out uncommented did not work -> saving such aconfig was broken
fix: allow writing tx/rx enable lines out

-psu always on: probably the most useful/interesting patch; I added a checkbox to the board/pinout page to keep the power supply turned on. I therefore added a flag PS_ALWAYS_ON. When checked the power_off() function will not turn off the power supply. It will still disable the stepper motors though. I have therefore not touched the timeout counters and access. My assumption here is that it is ok if the power_on() function rewrites the ps pin value and does not cause a intermediate drop.

cheers,
Benj
Attachments:
open | download - EWMA_range_fix.patch (439 bytes)
open | download - negativ_floats_regex.patch (578 bytes)
open | download - psu_always_on.patch (2 KB)
open | download - tx_rx_enable_issue_179.patch (656 bytes)
March 14, 2016 06:49AM
Traumflug
As computations in dda_step() are unchanged for deltas, yes, trying to simplify computations in dda_clock() is probably the way to go.
Thanks, I switched to Reprap accel and no stuttering occurs. Homing is not a problem anymore. Acceleration value is too high though. Is the acceleration value customizable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 06:50AM by rollingdice.
March 14, 2016 09:49AM
The #define is, well, "ACCELERATION" in the printer config.

March 15, 2016 01:04AM
Oh, I thought it only applies when ramping acceleration is selected.
Even so, changing that value still did not smooth out manual move (it was still too jerky). The only thing I noticed was slower homing.
March 15, 2016 06:48AM
Looks like the algorithm for deltas isn't perfect, yet. I hope you can find the cause.

March 18, 2016 11:54PM
I'm sorry, but I can't promise to fix the delta algorithm. I've pushed what I've done so far. I'll switch to Due platform for now.
April 08, 2016 04:30PM
I'm building a 3d printer with build platform moving in Z axis and printhead moving in X and Y. Something similar to ultimaker. I'm almost finshed but I have a problem with Z homing. I have single endstop at Z max (build platform at the bottom) but no endstop at Z min. How can I home Z in such setup? I would expect Z homing to move Z to max (down) and then move the platform up by constant hardcoded/configured/sent_by_host so it ends up just below the nozzle. Does Teacup support such setup at all? Thanks in advance for any advice.
April 08, 2016 04:46PM
wsowa
I would expect Z homing to move Z to max (down) and then move the platform up by constant hardcoded/configured/sent_by_host so it ends up just below the nozzle. Does Teacup support such setup at all?

Yes, such a setup is supported. Define a Z Max endstop instead of a Z Min endstop (not both) and set Z_MAX to the height of your build envelope.

May 05, 2016 06:50AM
hi,

i just finished my core xy and tried to use teacup with it.. i got it uploaded and jogged the axis and extruder , everything worked fine. Then i tried a print. the print start at center of the plate , first layer perfect, the next layer is printed shifted both in x and y by 50mm , and the next is also shifted , and finally the head crashed the printer frame...

what stupid mistake am i making..

i am using slic3r 1.1.7

thanks
May 06, 2016 08:46AM
Is it possible you G-code has G0 commands inside?Then having a proper Maximum Feedrate is crucial, see tab Printer, sub-tab mechanical in Configtool.

Now full fledged display support
May 30, 2016 01:55PM
Display support was a bit vague for a long time, now it's well tested and integrated into Configtool:

June 26, 2016 05:32AM
Hi Traumflug,

I just clone the git master branch and am struggling to find out the Display configuration like shown above. Also, I got this error when building with ACCEL REPRAP:

"/Applications/Arduino-1.0.5.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -DF_CPU=16000000UL -mmcu=atmega2560 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -std=gnu99 -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Winline -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-tree-scev-cprop -Os -ffunction-sections -finline-functions-called-once -mcall-prologues -Wa,-adhlns="/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/build/dda.al" -save-temps -o "/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/build/dda.o" "/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c"
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c: In function 'dda_create':
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:378: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:384: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:390: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:394: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c: In function 'dda_step':
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:599: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:600: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:603: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:608: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:609: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:612: error: 'DDA' has no member named 'n'
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c: In function 'dda_clock':
/Developments/Teacup_Firmware/dda.c:766: warning: unused variable 'current_id'
RC = 1 - Build terminated
Build terminated abnormally.

I have to modify the dda. add this int32_t n; under #ifdef ACCELERATION_REPRAP on line 122 to make this work. It looks like this dda->n also calculated under ACCELERATION_REPRAP
June 26, 2016 05:52AM
Hah, this was fixed just 3 days ago [github.com] :-)

Try branch experimental, the commit is there.

That said, ACCELERATION_REPRAP is rarely used, because it requires a different slicer, so you might run into additional issues. The only slicers supporting this kind of G-code I'm aware of is RepRap Host [www.reprap.org] of 2009 and maybe Skeinforge of similar vintage. If you get this working, all the better!

August 06, 2016 01:01PM
Hello ,,i made some tests and i notice that steps per meter for x and y are not right. So i made some tests and found that steps per meter are different for x and y axis. So, when i build i receive the error
#error "Look-ahead requires steps per m to be identical on the X and Y axis (for now)"

i try temporal acceleration but it is like choosing none acceleration ,there is too much stress on the printer. With ramping was working very good, how can i fix it
Attachments:
open | download - sadfasdf.JPG (67.7 KB)
August 06, 2016 02:06PM
You could try this branch. [github.com]
It's close to the current experimental and should be independent in x and y for ramping with lookahead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 02:06PM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
August 09, 2016 11:12AM
hi, i try this but now feedrate is verrry slow. it is like maximun feedrate is adjusteed very low and i cannot try print

edit: i try (dda.c: take same calculation for move duration in ramping from temporal ) there is normal speed fedrate , but it is slow feddrate for homing axis

edit:i canot find a combination for search feedrate and endstop clearence. And on z in ponteraface when i press 0.1 is very quick ,when i press1 is medium and when i press 10 is very slow feddrate

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 01:02PM by alfadex.
August 09, 2016 01:40PM
alfadex
i canot find a combination for search feedrate and endstop clearence.

Search feedrates for the long movement are calculated automatically, no need to set it. The faster acceleration and the larger the endstop clearance is, the faster homing will happen. Still limited to maximum feedrate of each axis, of course.

The search feedrate one can set is for this short movement after the endstop hit, when it moves slowly back out of the endstop to do a precision measurement.

Regarding this refusal to compile with different steps/m for X and Y: if these values are similar, simply remove this test. It's line 21 in dda_lookahead.h. Looks like this other branch needs some additional testing.

August 15, 2016 11:26PM
Hi,
I have built a 3D printer that is model of PRUSA I3 with RAPMS1.4 and Arduino ATMEGA2560(R3) control driver board. It is workable with Marlin FW perfectly.
Now I want to use TeaCup FW on it. But I got trouble in connection with Pronterface printing control AP. It seems that RS232 connection fail between PC and ATMEGA2560.

I follow the installation guild web page "http://reprap.org/wiki/Teacup_Firmware". Get the TeaCup FW from "https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware".
Now I can compiler and upload FW by configtool.py. If I use configtool.py to upload Marlin FW, printer can get connection with Pronterface, but can't with TeaCup FW.

I try many settings by using configtool, still can't get connection until now. Here I attached my setting files. board.ramps-v1.4.h printer.prusai3.h

I need help to give me the hint of debugging this issue. If anyone can, I will be appreciated.
August 16, 2016 01:52AM
Marlin standard setup has a baudrate of 250000. So changing the baudrate in Pronterface to 115200 for Teacup or setting up the baudrate in configtool to 250000.
#define BAUD                     115200

August 16, 2016 02:40AM
Thanks for your advise, but I have already tried the baud rate setting before, whatever the setting value connection still fail.
If any possible reason relative to the setting that is not included in config tool?
August 16, 2016 06:19AM
COM Port also checked?

August 16, 2016 06:24AM
Baud rate of the firmware and baud rate of the bootloader are two different things. For uploading, bootloader baud rate has to be right. AFAIK, most bootloaders use 115200 baud. Bootloader baud rate is set in Menu -> Edit -> Settings -> Upload speed.

If you get timeout errors, changing "AVR programmer" from 'stk500v2' to 'wiring" should help. This additionally toggles the reset pin. Pressing and releasing the reset button shortly before uploading helps, too.

If all this doesn't fit, please copy the messages from the window popping up into here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login