Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware for 5 axes machines

Posted by Fabricate 
Firmware for 5 axes machines
June 25, 2014 04:50AM
Hi,

I wanted to ask if you know any firmware that can handle 5 axes (at least more than the usual 3 axes in our 3d printers).

I would love to establish 5 axes 3d printing, to allow more than 45 degrees of overhang. I have already a proof of concept that shows the possibilities and I would love to develop a 5 axes 3d printer.

Thank you for your help.

Johannes
Re: Firmware for 5 axes machines
June 25, 2014 07:32AM
If you look at the most recent commits to Teacup firmwares' experimental branch, you'll see a number of changes towards supporting an arbitrary number of axes. You're welcome to fill in the missing bits, I'll happily give you commit access.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 25, 2014 07:38AM
Traumflug
If you look at the most recent commits to Teacup firmwares' experimental branch, you'll see a number of changes towards supporting an arbitrary number of axes. You're welcome to fill in the missing bits, I'll happily give you commit access.

Wow, that is great thumbs up ! I will have a look at it!
July 21, 2014 01:23PM
My APrinter firmware has supported an arbitrary number of axes ever since. You are however limited by the hardware, AVR is not gonna do, I recommend Arduino Due + RADDS.
Additionally, extruder axes are independent and not constrained by "tool commands" which APrinter does not implement. The recommended naming for extruders is E, U, V. So you have gcode like "G1 ... E10 U20 V15".
Actually, APrinter knows two kinds of axes, cartesian and non-cartesian. Usually X,Y,Z are cartesian and extruders are non-cartesian. The only difference is that cartesian axes are involved in distance/speed calculations. But a non-cartesian axes doesn't need to actually be an extruder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 01:28PM by ambrop7.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login