Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm looking for a PostProcessor for SprutCam, that will output Gcode for Marlin

Posted by dailafing 
I'm looking for a PostProcessor for SprutCam, that will output Gcode for Marlin
February 18, 2015 11:44AM
As per title, I'm looking for a Postprocessor for SprutCam, that will output Gcode for the Printrbot 1405.

I know the Postprocessors are easy to make, but its not something I've looked in to yet, since I'm almost sure theres someone out there who has already done this.

The idea I have is to mount a Dremel on the nose of the printrbot, and using very slow feedrates, I hope to cut away some wood stock, and sculpt my model out.

I intend to manually home the Axis before printing, then manually position the tip of the End Mill, using controls, at

X[left most of stock, forward of home position]

Y[centre of the stock]

Z[touching the top surface of the wood]

EG. X5 Y50 Z60

The outputted code should be something like:
G1 X5 Y45 F50
G1 X5 Y70 F10
G1 X6 Y45 F10
G1 X7 Y10 F10
G1 Z59.5 F5
G1 X5 Y45 F50
G1 X5 Y70 F10
G1 X6 Y45 F10
G1 X7 Y10 F10
G1 Z59 F5
; ...and so on

Please could someone help, or maybe put my in the right direction. thanks
Re: I'm looking for a PostProcessor for SprutCam, that will output Gcode for Marlin
February 19, 2015 08:57AM
Is there a postprocessor for G-code at all? Likely, because that's what virtually all milling machines use. RepRap firmwares will work with such general G-code. Likely a bit of hand editing is still neccessary, because RepRap firmwares don't support the S keyword (spindle), you need M104, M106 or M42 instead, depending on the particular firmware. Not rocket science.

That said, Marlin is known to make a few assumptions it actually serves a printer, like it doesn't move without without the hotend being on temp. If that gets into your way, try Teacup firmware. Its said this one runs smoother anyways (I have no experience with Marlin).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: I'm looking for a PostProcessor for SprutCam, that will output Gcode for Marlin
February 21, 2015 08:29AM
Hi Traumflung, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm sure there is a PostProcessor available.

There was one guy I was working with who began to help, but fell board half way through, leaving me with a half-finished version (Going to attach)
As you can see, there are two attachments; since he didn't know if my Marlin firmware supported "arcs".

Perhaps someone can modify these to work for my uses?
The main issue is that each line must have G1 or G0 for move operations
There's also some start up code that may or may not be needed, absolute vs. relative co-ords, ect?

I don't need spindle on or off commands, just simple movement commands
I'll turn my Dremel on/off at the wall plug, and do everything manually

One more thing, the attached files are SPPX files for SprutCAM 8+.... I much prefer 7, and so, anyone reading this who may help me out, is there any way that you can make these work for SC 7?

Thanks everyone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 08:29AM by dailafing.
Attachments:
open | download - PrintrBot.sppx (59.6 KB)
open | download - PrintrBot_arcs.sppx (59.6 KB)
open | download - Dremel.jpg (47.8 KB)
February 22, 2015 07:24AM
dailafing
Perhaps someone can modify these to work for my uses?

You are the one wanting to use this, so you're also expected to do these modifications. :-) Doing the mechanical stuff is usually the easier part, it's the soft-/firmware which makes printers so great.

dailafing
The main issue is that each line must have G1 or G0 for move operations

You mean it creates G-code mostly containing only coordinates? Teacup firmware is fine with this, it assumes G1 when no G keyword is present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 07:25AM by Traumflug.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login