Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacup on Sanginololu under Win 7

Posted by OSUFlatland 
Re: Teacup on Sanginololu under Win 7
June 21, 2015 10:55PM
Hmm. Good news and bad news. I tried reinstalling the ArduinoISP firmware to my Pro Micro and now it shows up as "Unknown Device" and I can't even pull a device ID from it. The good news being something changed this time... worst case, I didn't spend much on these things.
June 22, 2015 12:56PM
Other dubious news - I've apparently succeeded in writing something to the Sanguinololu - the menu no longer shows on the display. This will be educational, if not fun...
July 02, 2015 09:02AM
Good news! My cousin helped me out and we got the firmware installed! Now I just need to figure out... everything else. :-)
July 02, 2015 10:48AM
That's indeed good news!

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 03, 2015 01:08AM
For anyone else in my situation, the baud rate was 57600 and programmer should be arduino, not stk500 for the sanguinololu. It may have had the bootloader after all, but we'll never know now. :-)
July 03, 2015 03:48AM
OSUFlatland
For anyone else in my situation, the baud rate was 57600 and programmer should be arduino, not stk500 for the sanguinololu.

This depends not on the controller type, but on the bootloader in use. Most bootloaders use 115200 baud these days. But you're right, trying at different baud rates would have been a good idea.

July 03, 2015 09:18AM
Fair enough. At least now the next person who goes looking will have this as a reference. I guess this begs the question of how hard it would be to edit the bootloader to change the baud rate? Ideally, it seems like the kind of thing which would be set as a global constant. :-)
July 03, 2015 11:21AM
Uhm, there are no "global constants" ... Baud rate is hardcoded in the bootloader. The ones coming with Gen7 Arduino IDE Support are hardcoded to 115200 baud. It's also a number relative to the CPU clock, so a bootloader compiled for a 20 MHz clock won't work on a 16 MHz controller and vice versa.

July 03, 2015 04:31PM
Sorry, not really a programmer, clearly. I meant a defined value like a #define. I realize it's hard coded in the bootloader, but is the bootloader itself closed source? If not, could it be possible to redefine the baud rate?
July 03, 2015 05:12PM
If the bootloader is closed source, where would you put this #define? Write it with a pencil on the back of the chip? :-)

Luckily it's Open Source: [github.com] There are other Open Source bootloaders for the same purpose, another commonly used one is optiboot.

Also, bootloader baud rate is not to be confused with firmware baud rate. These two can have different baud rates. During firmware runtime, the bootloader isn't used at all, firmware comes with its own serial I/O code (and a #define to select it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 05:12PM by Traumflug.

July 03, 2015 07:59PM
Yes, yes, I know what open source means. :-) If I was playing with the bootloader much, I might actually write the baud rate on the chip with a pencil. ;-) Or if I had multiple chips/controller boards.

Yes, I'm aware the bootloader baud rate is different from the firmware baud rate as well. I'm just curious mostly, as programming really doesn't take all that long. I find the most efficient way to learn to be asking questions, even stupid ones. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login