Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LPC port of RepRapFirmware

Posted by sdavi 
Re: LPC port of RepRapFirmware
August 06, 2019 10:54AM
Micktol
I have a SKR 1.3 with the latest firmware and the software spi, the screen and external sd card work without any extra wiring. I have an inductive z probe which needed to be configured in two places, boards.txt and config.g

I am now able to control my machine with the panel due or esp3d. I have set up a few macros in esp3d to mount and read the external sd card, stop and pause. I can print from the external sd card with a M32 command from the command line.

@ dark alchemist, you have not written as far as I can see, which type of Z probe you are using.

@sdavi, is it possible and planned to support the control of the stepper drivers via spi or uart?
No Z probe just a Z endstop.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
August 06, 2019 11:28AM
@Dark Alchemist. You should be able to send M119 to get the state of the endstops and see if the state is changing when you activate each one. In reprapfirmware everything is configured via config.g in the /sys directory.
August 06, 2019 11:44AM
Micktol
@Dark Alchemist. You should be able to send M119 to get the state of the endstops and see if the state is changing when you activate each one. In reprapfirmware everything is configured via config.g in the /sys directory.
Did that as well as m114, m122, m911 and everything was 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 11:44AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
August 06, 2019 04:43PM
@Dark Alchemist-

What are you using for Z Probe?

Is it a BL Touch perhaps?
August 06, 2019 05:23PM
sinned
@Dark Alchemist-

What are you using for Z Probe?

Is it a BL Touch perhaps?
As I replied to Micktol - "No Z probe just a Z endstop."

_______
August 06, 2019 06:06PM
@Dark Alchemnist -

are really homing at F6000, that is 100mm/s for Z, that seems a aweuly quite high.

what was your M203 and M201 set to? put your configs on pastebin and link them here.

what kind of endstop are you using? is it a mechanical switch or an optical sensor or hall effect switch.

since this behavior existed in Marlin as well as in RRF, you might want to debug the sensor and cables from end to end.
August 06, 2019 07:39PM
sinned
@Dark Alchemnist -

are really homing at F6000, that is 100mm/s for Z, that seems a aweuly quite high.

what was your M203 and M201 set to? put your configs on pastebin and link them here.

what kind of endstop are you using? is it a mechanical switch or an optical sensor or hall effect switch.

since this behavior existed in Marlin as well as in RRF, you might want to debug the sensor and cables from end to end.
For the love of God please. I had the jerk off over on the Github close my thread because he had the reading comprehension of a Gnat over this very thing. Come on my guy, please, reread what I said. I said that in Marlin 2.0 I set the default max feedrate of 5mm/s which is 300mm/m but sometimes Marlin 2.0 (Marlin 1.x never ever did) allowed a F6000 to fly through BUT only on Z. Of course F6000 is crazy nonsense for Z but it was a test and Marlin 2.0 failed the test as the default I set of that 5 has always capped the max feedrate regardless if I put in F1000000000000000000000.

I have only tried Marlin not RRF as I am too scared to try RRF since Marlin 2.0 almost broke my bed and my 50 dollar boroglass when it just decided to crash into my nozzle and my hotend bend up and the bed bent down before I could stop it.

edit: M119 is always spot on and when I finally turned the power off to stop it M119 shows Z to be TRIGGERED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 07:40PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
August 08, 2019 11:41AM
Dark Alchemist
I have only tried Marlin not RRF as I am too scared to try RRF since Marlin 2.0 almost broke my bed and my 50 dollar boroglass when it just decided to crash into my nozzle and my hotend bend up and the bed bent down before I could stop it.

edit: M119 is always spot on and when I finally turned the power off to stop it M119 shows Z to be TRIGGERED.

1. take the boroglass off if you are worried about it and put something else in its place. get a dollar store mirror or picture frame for the glass or even a piece of polycarbonate or acrylic to put its place if you are worried about it.

2. if the printer is moving AND the endstop is showing triggered, then you have other electrical or mechanical issues. no matter what the firmware, bad hardware is going to be an issue for you. you need to fix that first.

3 what is your endstop device? what kind of hardware? you still have not answered that question.

4. you are going to have to dive in to RRF to decide if its for you. you have to decide if the current limitations of the port and the SKR 1.3 are acceptable to you.

there is lots of good documentation on Duet's site. you need to look at the commissioning guide [duet3d.dozuki.com]

RRF is not a plug-and-play solution. you are going to have to work through setting it up. personally, I think its worth it., but if you are someone who does not like problem solving and tweaking, then it might not be for you.
August 08, 2019 01:31PM
Repetier on a Melzi 2.0 board has no issues before, or after, my 3 days from hell with Marlin 2.0 so it isn't anything mechanical or electrical since I can print with the Melzi, using the exact same hardware, that I could not with Marlin 2.0.

_______
August 08, 2019 11:18PM
Dark Alchemist
Sigh.

Will this be made for Platform.io so we can use Atom to compile it?

The latest code contains a tasks.json to build under Visusal Studio Code using the one of the extensions windows-arm-none-eabi, linux-arm-non-eabi, or darwin-arm-none-eabi depending on your platform. While it is not PlatformIO it allows you to build the source from within the IDE if you so desire. I have really only needed to built the code when debugging my hardware or want to be on the bleeding edge. Lately I haven't had much of a need (or time) to build the code so often I have been using the prebuilt binary.

- dot_bob
August 08, 2019 11:44PM
Dark Alchemist
Sigh.

DA,

The latest code contains a tasks.json to build under Visusal Studio Code using the one of the extensions: windows-arm-none-eabi, linux-arm-non-eabi, or darwin-arm-none-eabi (depending on your platform). While it is not PlatformIO it allows you to build the source from within the IDE if you so desire. I have really only needed to built the code when debugging my hardware or want to be on the bleeding edge.

Lately I haven't had much of a need (or time) to build the code so often I have been using the prebuilt binary.

-dot_bob
August 09, 2019 12:37AM
dot_bob
Dark Alchemist
Sigh.

DA,

The latest code contains a tasks.json to build under Visusal Studio Code using the one of the extensions: windows-arm-none-eabi, linux-arm-non-eabi, or darwin-arm-none-eabi (depending on your platform). While it is not PlatformIO it allows you to build the source from within the IDE if you so desire. I have really only needed to built the code when debugging my hardware or want to be on the bleeding edge.

Lately I haven't had much of a need (or time) to build the code so often I have been using the prebuilt binary.

-dot_bob
That is what scares me I think as I can't touch the code. I have been told various stories about it not fully working with the board or it does so I really have no idea.

Now I just grabbed (Wed night) another Marlin 2.0 (1 version past my version) and they added stuff but the final code fell by 5k from 153k to 148k. I can see the code if I want to dive into it but can I with this?

I now use Atom, not MSCode as I didn't care for it intermixed with PlatformIO (I had no screen real estate left) so I removed it. Will Atom compile this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 12:37AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
August 10, 2019 02:01AM
sinned
Dark Alchemist

1. take the boroglass off if you are worried about it and put something else in its place. get a dollar store mirror or picture frame for the glass or even a piece of polycarbonate or acrylic to put its place if you are worried about it.

2. if the printer is moving AND the endstop is showing triggered, then you have other electrical or mechanical issues. no matter what the firmware, bad hardware is going to be an issue for you. you need to fix that first.

3 what is your endstop device? what kind of hardware? you still have not answered that question.

4. you are going to have to dive in to RRF to decide if its for you. you have to decide if the current limitations of the port and the SKR 1.3 are acceptable to you.

there is lots of good documentation on Duet's site. you need to look at the commissioning guide [duet3d.dozuki.com]

RRF is not a plug-and-play solution. you are going to have to work through setting it up. personally, I think its worth it., but if you are someone who does not like problem solving and tweaking, then it might not be for you.
Well, I plugged in the latest Marlin 2.0 and now X moves Y and Y moves X but the old compiled firmware moved as it should have.

I don't mind some troubleshooting but too much is too much as I have been trouble shooting a 3d print, in one way or another, for 6 years and by now I should have something that just works. I did not anticipate that the LPC1768 would have issues since it is far from new. Now you say current limitations but what are they?

Will this work - [configurator.reprapfirmware.org] ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 02:10AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
August 11, 2019 04:47PM
Dark Alchemist
Will this work - [configurator.reprapfirmware.org] ?

Yes that will work. But you should go through the configuration files after you generate them to verify and tweak things.

What kind of printer are you trying to configure?

What are your endstops?

What are your drivers?

Those are probably the 2 things that take the longest.

I have most of my notes here- [github.com] you might find them helpful. If you look at places in my config.sys, I annotated the gcode parameters as i went through things to check.

[duet3d.dozuki.com] is helpfull too.

board.txt does the pin assignments for the hardware. start with the SKR 1.3 that sdavi posted.

config.sys has the gcode settings for the system.

if you post your resulting files to a place like pastebin or similar we can help you review them.
August 11, 2019 05:05PM
CoreXY
Mechanical Endstops
TMC2208

I have read a lot but it is so confusing. All of these .g files beats me.

_______
August 15, 2019 02:39PM
Micktol
I found that to enable the paneldue the line needs to be at the start of the list.

Micktol-

Where/which list do you mean? I am trying to get a paneldue going but it gets stuck 'Connecting'

I have that line at the start of the Experimental Features' section at the end of the board.txt file.

I am trying to workout it its hardware issue or config issue.

Any tips?
August 15, 2019 03:13PM
deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 03:45AM by Micktol.
August 15, 2019 09:12PM
Micktol
I put "lpc.uartPanelDueMode = true; //Enable PanelDue Support" as the first entry in my boards.txt file. You can check if it enabled with the M122 P200 output, to see this use the usb connection with the serial monitor in arduino ide.

I assume that you mean that you are communicating with the serial terminal. I can not establish a connection if the PanelDue is connected. And even with the PanelDue connected, it will not communicate with the board. I have double checked the board.txt and the config.g files. I moved that entry to the very first line. If the PanelDue is not connected, then M122 reports that it is 'true'.

Micktol
In the config.g file you need "M575 P1 B115200 S1"
On the panel due setup screen set the baud rate to 115200.
If it still does not connect check the tx and rx are connected correctly. ie rx to tx and tx to rx.

yes to all three.
I am trying to figure out if we have to explicitly set the number of serial ports and define each one via M575. So far no luck.
I am starting to wonder if the FW in the PanelDue needs to be updated, its board rev. 3.0 and the FW is 1.7.

EDIT: are you using Marlin compatabilty mode,
M555 P2
for Marlin compatability?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 10:02PM by sinned.
August 15, 2019 09:21PM
Btw, I got Marlin up and running and the print is the most beautiful ABS print I have ever done before. It has to be because it doesn't pause, like the Arduino would do, while printing.

Come to find out (there is movement on changing this behavior back) that they removed Marlin from enforcing controls so all of those speeds, accelerations, etc... defaults no longer enforced you so someone could put a speed, or acceleration, etc... that was so high they may actually do harm to their machine. Someone brought this up and with our concerns Marlin may go back to enforcing that (mostly for 3d printer companies to prevent end users destroying their machines) but this is why I was having a hell of a time and spent 4 complete days (to exhaustion) tracking down what was happen YET when I brought up what I was seeing it was ignored. Come to find out my slicers had 15mm/s put in for Z because some machines I own can do that (or even faster) and some cant (my CoreXY can do 4-6mm/s on Z) so I stuck 15mm/s since I use the same slicers for running off to various machines knowing Marlin, or Repetier firmware, would cap the max speed. Welp, that was before 2.0.

Just thought I would update people.

_______
August 16, 2019 03:33AM
@sinned.

I have a version 2 but I think the problem is the baud rate.
Here is my setup with the latest firmware.bin:

paneldue set to 57600 baud.
No M575 commands in board.txt or config.g

"Din" on the panel due connected to pin3 tx on the skr serial port.
"Dout" on the panel due connected to pin 4 rx on the skr serial port.

I think there is a problem with 115200 baud because I have been unable to connect at that speed, I have tried with multiple settings!
August 16, 2019 10:14AM
I did get it finally work-

1. Yes, you are right, the baudrate needs to be 57600.

M575 P1 B57600 S1

2. Voltage- after chatting with sdavi, we suspected that the onboard voltage regulator might be overtaxed. After I swtiched the power to the PaneDue, It connects and works.

But now I get a different errors-

I get a message about the firmware not supporting TLS, and then one about the heater being overpower and hitting a high temp if left alone, and then checksum errors.

One step forward, 2 steps back i guess

EDIT:

EDIT2: I think that the TLS error is to be expected from the page. I am pretty sure I dont need TLS enabled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 11:50AM by sinned.
August 16, 2019 11:55AM
@sinned.

I would not worry about the over temp, it is explained on the duet3d site. I have never had checksum errors.
I thought you had a skr 1.3 board which does not have a lan port so you should disable it, maybe that is what is causing the checksum errors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 11:56AM by Micktol.
August 16, 2019 04:37PM
The checksum errors indicate that data from the Panel Due was not received correctly. The other GCode input channels do not normally use checksums.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 16, 2019 11:03PM
@dc42:

thanks for the reply! one thing i find confusing is that the gcode console in DWC does not show the same information that the PanelDue seems to give.
is there a way to make them the same or one them more verbose to see all the info going by?

the checksum errors- can you give me any hints as to where to look for the likely sources of the checksum errors? at least to determine if its something real or just a warning.

I can learn to live with the other warnings- its just a little un-nerving.

@Micktol- My main printer is ReArm. The 'project' printer is SKR. I was helping 4lathe get his going and trying to amass some documentation for the LPC port.
August 20, 2019 07:59AM
Uploaded new binary (just networking fixes). Fixes a bug which caused a hard fault if the ethernet cable is unplugged after the network is up and running. Also fixes a bug when running M586.
August 24, 2019 11:44AM
sdavi-

Are you versioning the updates? I swear up updated the fw to the latest one. It reports as -

Firmware Version: 2.04RC1 (2019-07-14b1)

Thanks

sinneD
August 24, 2019 08:01PM
sinned
sdavi-

Are you versioning the updates? I swear up updated the fw to the latest one. It reports as -

Firmware Version: 2.04RC1 (2019-07-14b1)

Thanks

sinneD

I don't modify the version numbers, I just use the RRF version. Generally I'll keep any changes I make until the next RRF version change, however that last binary fixed a bug that caused a reset if the network goes down so I thought I'd push that out straight away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 08:02PM by sdavi.
October 10, 2019 03:55PM
Hi all,

I got my hands on a ENC28J60 LAN ethernet module. I have a BTT SKR v1.3 and got the RRF working when connected to USB. Is there any way to Connect this module to the SKR now that software SPI is implemented. I don't use a LCD screen.

Thanks in advance for any info.

DocSolo
October 10, 2019 11:54PM
DocSolo
Hi all,

I got my hands on a ENC28J60 LAN ethernet module. I have a BTT SKR v1.3 and got the RRF working when connected to USB. Is there any way to Connect this module to the SKR now that software SPI is implemented. I don't use a LCD screen.

Thanks in advance for any info.

DocSolo

The current build only supports the built-in Ethernet on the LPC.

If your comfortable doing a bit of coding and compiling, you could add a ENC28J60 Network Interface driver to FreeRTOS+TCP (see FreeRTOS-Plus-TCP/portable/ in the source code). From a very quick search, looks like someone already wrote one [github.com] for the stm32f4xx hardware, (if it works) it probably wouldn't take too much to modify it for the LPC, i.e. changing SPI code etc. I would imagine the softwareSPI would be pretty slow, so using the hardware SSP0 port would be best for performance.
October 11, 2019 11:28AM
Hi sdavi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into it even if I'm not comfortable with coding. I'm always up for learning new stuff.

DocSolo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login