Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automated, PrintObject focused bed leveling with probe.

Posted by kiklo 
Automated, PrintObject focused bed leveling with probe.
October 02, 2018 12:26PM
I can not help thinking of this bed leveling scenario.

Why not use the relevant x/y coordinates of the object to be printed to set boundaries for the probing area.

To me that would give tighter/better measurements for small objects and faster probing ?
I see no need to cover the whole bed when doing small objects ?
Re: Automated, PrintObject focused bed leveling with probe.
October 02, 2018 02:12PM
If the slicer provided information on the horizontal size of the print at the start of the file, it would be easy. But slicers don't do that. So the firmware would have to scan the whole of the GCode for the first layer to determine the size. Where the print includes a skirt and it is labeled as such by the slicer, scanning just the GCodes for the skirt would do.

I think it's rare for users to run mesh bed probing before every print. More usually, the height map is saved to SD card or EEPROM so that it can be recalled without probing again.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Automated, PrintObject focused bed leveling with probe.
October 03, 2018 04:26AM
I'd agree that it should not be necessary to do probing every time, but I have a CR-10S5 notoriously known for Z-sagging. :-(

And as for time consumption I guess reading/calculation could be done when heating, so not a big issue ?

I hope someone think it's an idea to try. (not holding my breadth.).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login