Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-3DHex- a new 3d printer firmware

Posted by 3DHexfw 
-3DHex- a new 3d printer firmware
June 14, 2019 06:09PM
3DHex is a new experimental host controller firmware that i have just released on github

I started this project ofline back in 2015 and after a lot of work i managed to get my first prints with pretty sucess. My target was to create an easy to install, easy to configure and use firmware for 3d printers on already existing hardware. I have only made prints with my RAMPS 1.6 + LCD 16x2 with the Host running on windows. Feel free to download my work make tests with others boards modify the source if needed and make pull requests on github.

3DHex is an open source 3D printer firmware. The Host uses the CPU power of any typical desktop computer and generates a binary file. This file then is transfered either via USB or SD Card to the MCU. The MCU sets its outputs according to the raw 0s and 1s that binary file contains.

Features of version 1.0.0

-User friendly configuration ( GUI )
-Jerk free S-Curve velocity profile ( Analytic mathematical equations )
-Either S-Curve or Trapezoid profiles ( Just set Jerk = 0 to switch back to the old classic Trapezoid profile )
-Real arc G02/G03 motion ( Motion accuracy down to microstepping, not line segments used. Also full arc accel/decel either S-curve or Trapezoid profile )
-Jump velocity ( No accelerated velocity to avoid blobing at the corners )
-Basic thermal protection ( Over temperature read, broken or unconnected thermistor detection )
-Tested with RAMPS 1.6 board
-USB printing ( Real time streaming from USB - 15KHz step rate )
-SD Card printing ( Standalone printing, more reliable than USB - 25KHz step rate )
-LCD 16x2 support
-Only for Cartesian 3D printers
Re: -3DHex- a new 3d printer firmware
June 15, 2019 11:36PM
Interesting feature list, I'll see if I can make some time this coming week to install on my spare RAMPS for testing
June 16, 2019 08:39AM
obelisk79
Interesting feature list, I'll see if I can make some time this coming week to install on my spare RAMPS for testing

I will be waiting for your feedback!!
I will also be happy to answer any questions you have.
October 24, 2019 06:44AM
Intersting. Which microcontroller would be supported ?
February 25, 2020 08:13AM
Jad Kas
Intersting. Which microcontroller would be supported ?

For the momment it is only tested with an Arduino Mega 2560 and Ramps 1.6 board.

I have also a 32bit version of the firmaware working with Teensy 3.6 but i have not released it.

I have made many prints for 6 months now with no problems.
April 18, 2020 07:03AM
Hello to everyone,

I have develop 3DHex firmware further and the results are pretty impressive.

The latest feature is the:

Curve detection algorithm.The slicer splits all curves to tiny lines the 3d printer is trying to accel-decel for each line and this leads to a shaking movement. The new algorithm detects the splited curves and the whole curve happens with scurve accel-decel phase. The result is a really smooth printing motion along curves and arcs.

You can find the source code and download free the firmware on github.
source code

I have also made a video explaining in depth the whole process
youtube

If you want to talk to me in personal feel free to send me an email
3dhexfw@gmail.com
April 28, 2020 09:15AM
Any prints to show the real improvments?
I think it is close to klipper ideology. But klipper is able to run on raspberry.
Your code can be used as a plugin in Cura slicer?
April 28, 2020 10:24AM
Dear Karabas

I will have an update video to show the real improvements in the next weeks.
Klipper is also a host controller but with the main differences:
-Klipper runs on linux and needs a rasberry pi instead 3DHex runs on windows desktop.
-Klipper can achieve higher step rates with the 8 bit microcontrollers than 3DHex
-But 3DHex has way better motion planners and speed profiles. The best algorithm is curve detection which leads to higher speed with lower jump feedrates and no jerky movements along curves.

I think you did not understand how this firmware works.
You can use Cura as a Slicer to generate the Gcode and then import the Gcode file to 3DHex firmware. Then you can print via usb realtime or generate and save a binary file in order to print from sd card.
I am at your disposal for any question.
Best regards
Panos
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login