Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacup on Gen6

Posted by jim_blag 
Teacup on Gen6
June 04, 2011 06:31PM
Has anyone got Teacup running on Gen6 hardware? I've been trying to get it up and running this afternoon. I'm using the Config file for Gen6, which appears to have everything configured correctly. I've tweaked the ThermistorTable to use the actual values (x4) from my Gen6 default FW, but I am having several problems.

* With the latest RepSnapper I don't get reliable temperature readings (e.g. switch heat on and temperature stays the same, never indicates correct temp). The value used by the Teacup FW must be correct, since it does start to switch the heater off by watching the flashing of the LED.

* Pressing the home button in RepSnapper doesn't work, it just goes back to the point where the Firmware thinks zero is, not actually using the endstops. I suspect this is to do with the commands that RepSnapper is actually sending, since it is trying to home by sending a G1 X-250 instead of a G28 X0.

* All axis speeds are *very* slow, no matter what feedrate I specify, all moves crawl.

I'm wondering if the Atmega 644 is really up to this? Has anyone else had teacup running on the Gen6? Or, am I just doing something wrong?

Regards,

James

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
Re: Teacup on Gen6
June 04, 2011 06:37PM
It is likely slow because you have the steps per mm or maximum feed rates incorrectly set in your firmware.

Teacup works quite well on all the atmega chips commonly used for reprap.
June 04, 2011 07:04PM
I would say the reason it is slow is because the accelerations default value is far to low. The latest commit of teacup uses the same measurement of acceleration as Sprinter. But for some reason Teacups default is 10mm/s^2 where as Sprinters is 750mm/s^2.

As for the temperature it may be the same issue Stafanst has which seems to be with the latest Windows Repsnapper not Teacup. [forums.reprap.org]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 04, 2011 08:01PM
jim_blag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> * With the latest RepSnapper I don't get reliable
> temperature readings (e.g. switch heat on and
> temperature stays the same, never indicates
> correct temp). The value used by the Teacup FW
> must be correct, since it does start to switch the
> heater off by watching the flashing of the LED.

This is a problem with repsnapper not reading the temperatures correctly from teacup's responses. Teacup is detecting and sending correct temps if your heater behaves. Try an experimental build, or another hostware, or the linux version.

> * Pressing the home button in RepSnapper doesn't
> work, it just goes back to the point where the
> Firmware thinks zero is, not actually using the
> endstops. I suspect this is to do with the
> commands that RepSnapper is actually sending,
> since it is trying to home by sending a G1 X-250
> instead of a G28 X0.

G28 is supposed to go to where teacup thinks is zero then set the offset to the provided values, if you read the gcode spec. G161 and G162 are for homing using endstops.

Teacup ignores the endstops during normal moves by default anyway, as they frequently pick up noise from the motors and ruin prints, far more often than the firmware is told to slam the head into axis ends. I believe there's an option to select behaviour in the config somewhere?

> * All axis speeds are *very* slow, no matter what
> feedrate I specify, all moves crawl.

Yes, the defaults are deliberately extremely slow, this serves the dual purpose of allowing things to work on poorly configured machines, and also providing an incentive to get into the config and fiddle smiling smiley

> I'm wondering if the Atmega 644 is really up to
> this? Has anyone else had teacup running on the
> Gen6? Or, am I just doing something wrong?

The Atmega644 is quite capable, although in a few respects we are approaching the limits of what it can do.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
June 04, 2011 10:50PM
Thanks for the help on this everyone. I've got it all up and running and printing. Still needs a bit of tuning.

However, the current version of RepSnapper appears to have taken some serious steps backwards since v352 (the one I typically use, but won't work with Teacup). It won't print without me kicking it a few times every layer plus the temp issues. I've switched to RepRap Host and can print without it pausing.

I'll keep playing with it now.

JB
June 04, 2011 11:35PM
@Triffid_Hunter: Quick question about G161. It's not listed on the RepRap GCodes page, but based on the comments in the code I get the general gist of what it is supposed to do. However, when I send the command the axis moves away from the Min Endstop.

If I nudge the axis in the positive direction, it moves away from the endstop, and towards it if I nudge it in a negative direction. So the motor is wired the right way around. Have I misunderstood something?

JB
June 05, 2011 01:19AM
jim_blag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Triffid_Hunter: Quick question about G161. It's
> not listed on the RepRap GCodes page, but based on
> the comments in the code I get the general gist of
> what it is supposed to do. However, when I send
> the command the axis moves away from the Min
> Endstop.
>
> If I nudge the axis in the positive direction, it
> moves away from the endstop, and towards it if I
> nudge it in a negative direction. So the motor is
> wired the right way around. Have I misunderstood
> something?

If G161 causes the axis to move the wrong way, but nudging moves the correct way, you need to invert your endstop because teacup thinks it's already triggered, which causes the homing routine to jump straight to the part where it tries to back out of the endstop.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login