Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SKR + TFT35 + TMC2209 --> RepRapFirmware possible?

Posted by Louger 
SKR + TFT35 + TMC2209 --> RepRapFirmware possible?
January 26, 2020 06:49AM
Hello everybody,

I am currently working on an upgrade for the old Makerbot Replicator 2 and would like to use the following components:
  1. SKR V1.3 (already bought, used before with Marlin2.0 in other printers)
  2. BigTreeTech TFT35 V3.0
  3. WiFi-Module for TFT (Is the Web-Interface of RRF usable like this?)
  4. TMC2209 (Do I need a special Version of RRF?)
  5. Pinda-Probe (Should not be a Problem, when im informed correctly?)
  6. WS2812b/Neopixel LED-Strip (seems do be not supported by RRF)

I hate searching for RepRapFirmware in this forum. Sometimes written als RepRapFirmware, sometimes RepRap Firmware and sometimes RRF. If you search for RepRap Firmware you're getting a bunch of topics for e.g. Marlin etc. I did a lot of research without successfully answering my questions. I've seen the Topic to LPC port and to LPC1768/9 but struggle to find answers. That's where I also read of problems regarding TMC22xx... I really would like to dip into RRF because of the web interface, but at some points I'm getting the feeling to just use Marlin2.0 again, even with the awful firmware-flashing. I really appreciate the simple configuring of RRF!

Further I'm searching for an modifiable TFT-Firmware or another but modifiable TFT. As I now have read, the adjustment-possibilities of the touchscreen are limited and won't cover all settings of the old LCDs. Any suggestions here?

Hopefully you can help me with the many questions!

Makerbot Replicator 2, 24V, Stock Hotend and Extruder.
Re: SKR + TFT35 + TMC2209 --> RepRapFirmware possible?
January 26, 2020 09:24PM
Louger
Hello everybody,

I am currently working on an upgrade for the old Makerbot Replicator 2 and would like to use the following components:
  1. SKR V1.3 (already bought, used before with Marlin2.0 in other printers)
  2. BigTreeTech TFT35 V3.0
  3. WiFi-Module for TFT (Is the Web-Interface of RRF usable like this?)
  4. TMC2209 (Do I need a special Version of RRF?)
  5. Pinda-Probe (Should not be a Problem, when im informed correctly?)
  6. WS2812b/Neopixel LED-Strip (seems do be not supported by RRF)

I hate searching for RepRapFirmware in this forum. Sometimes written als RepRapFirmware, sometimes RepRap Firmware and sometimes RRF. If you search for RepRap Firmware you're getting a bunch of topics for e.g. Marlin etc. I did a lot of research without successfully answering my questions. I've seen the Topic to LPC port and to LPC1768/9 but struggle to find answers. That's where I also read of problems regarding TMC22xx... I really would like to dip into RRF because of the web interface, but at some points I'm getting the feeling to just use Marlin2.0 again, even with the awful firmware-flashing. I really appreciate the simple configuring of RRF!

Further I'm searching for an modifiable TFT-Firmware or another but modifiable TFT. As I now have read, the adjustment-possibilities of the touchscreen are limited and won't cover all settings of the old LCDs. Any suggestions here?

Hopefully you can help me with the many questions!

Makerbot Replicator 2, 24V, Stock Hotend and Extruder.

1. There are several SKR 1.3 users of the LPC RRF port
2. TFT32 and TFT28 has been reported as working by some users. I believe that the 32 and 28 send gcodes over UART and if the 35 is the same then it probably will work as well (see the LPC port thread)
4. The latest binary release of the LPC port is v2.05 which doesn't have any support for smart drivers. Some drivers can be configured in "Standalone mode" and have been reported as working. One user has recently started porting the TMC22xx UART support to the LPC port and so far looks promising (keep an eye out on the V3 LPC port thread about this).
5. I've never heard of a pinda probe before but RRF supports both analog and digital signals for zprobes. On the LPC port digital inputs are normally used. If analog signals are used then they must not exceed 3.3V.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 09:37PM by sdavi.
January 28, 2020 03:27AM
Pinda (v1) probe is small 5v inductive sensor originally found on Genuine prusa machines
Pinda v2 also has a thermistor in it to allow software correction of temperature related distance errors found in the v1.
January 29, 2020 03:17AM
RRF2 allows the Z probe trigger height to be compensated for bed temperature. RRF3 allows it to be compensated for any temperature reading. So you should be able to use a Pinda v2 probe with RRF3 if you have a spare thermistor input.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2020 03:26PM
Thank you for the input, everybody!

RRF on SKR v1.3 should be possible using this special version of RRF.
RRF with SKR v1.3 and TMC2209 should be possible with another special fork.
Pinda Probe will be fine with all builds and since RRF3 a temperature-correction is possible. Only possible issue could be the 5V instead of 3.3V. Not finally searched until now, in worst case I will find a solution via Voltage conversion for the digital signal.
Neopixel/WS2812b is not possible with RRF, as i've read here.

Still open points:
  • BigTreeTech TFT35 V3.0 in combination with the WiFi-Module for this TFT: Is the Web-Interface of RRF usable with this? Until now i could not figure it out. Maybe someone already has experience with this?
  • Further I'm searching for an modifiable TFT-Firmware or another but modifiable TFT. As I now have read, the adjustment-possibilities of the touchscreen are limited and won't cover all settings of the old LCDs. Any suggestions here?

Thank you all for your help!
Roland
January 30, 2020 06:58PM
Most pins on the LPC are 5V tolerant (see Chapter 7 of the LPC datasheet) when configured as digital, but when configured as ADC they are no longer 5V tolerant.

The RRF web interface (DWC) relies on certain URLs ( see [github.com] ) that are provided by the RepRapFirmware webserver. You'd have to use the web interface that is provided with the TFT-wifi webserver (unless you can modify it to implement those http requests that DWC uses etc etc).

Looks like the TFT firmware is opensource: [github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login