Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Firmware and Host

Posted by repetier 
Re: Repetier Firmware and Host
November 16, 2011 05:29PM
I've checked the Skeinforge settings, Absolute Extrusion was set on it.
Any other ideas of what could be causing this?
November 16, 2011 06:11PM
ninja0n3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've checked the Skeinforge settings, Absolute
> Extrusion was set on it.
> Any other ideas of what could be causing this?

I need more informations. You already showed that it works with the start code and only ignores your produced G-Code. So I need this code to see whats wrong with it. The start with the first 20 G1 commands should be enough.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
December 01, 2011 12:57PM
New Repetier-Host with Linux+Mac support

After some hard work on the Host I have managed to add two new operating systems. Both use Mono to run the application.

Linux Version

Doesn't look as good as the Windows version due to different fonts, but works very good. Same functionality as the Windows version.

Mac OS X Version

I always taugt, if I can run it with Mono on one system, it runs on every supported system. I was terribly wrong with that. I had to add many tricks to get a workable Mac version. The good news is, it works. It has some limitation I described on the installation page.

Whats new:

* Added Slic3r from Alessandro Ranellucci as default slicer. It is already bundled with the installation package. So no further configuration is required and everybody can start right out of the box.
* You can select, which slicer to use, so Skeinforge is still integrated.
* New log view. It's faster and better readable
* Better connect handling.
* Fixed some bugs.
* Optimized menu structure.

New Repetier-Firmware version

Some people suffered from a reset every now and then. I hope I found the last source for this.

The temperature control was improved. The temperature updates are more precise and the resolution has changed. Check the Configuration.h and wiki on how to change your old thermistor lookup table!

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
December 13, 2011 01:29AM
Does the firmware work on 20 Mhz boards like Gen7 with a 20Mhz crystal? I know some firmware's use libraries that require 16 Mhz crystals. I looked at configuration.h but didn't see a place to specify speed like in teacup. Is it in some other file?
December 13, 2011 02:47AM
Hi,

I had no 20MHz board for testing, but I used everywhere F_CPU for the cpu frequency, so it should work. F_CPU should be defined from the board selection, so selecting a 20 MHz boards should set this automatic.
If you speak of Gen7 in special, I have no PIN-configuration for that. You can copy one existing and set the pin layout from gen7 in pins.h and it should work. If you do so, please send me a copy, so I can add it. Other users would be thankfull for that:-)

December 13, 2011 11:03AM
Hi,

Nice job repetier, while I haven't decided on the firmware yet, I did have repetier on for a while, works nice smiling smiley

Regarding 20MHz I have custom electronics on my Prusa build loosely based on the Gen7 featuring an ATMega644 (yes without the p). I got it to compile and it seemed to work fine but I did not test extensively.

To get it to work you have to change the F_CPU setting in the Makefile and the edit/create the pin definition in pin.h to match gen7 layout.

I think I'll go back to repetier in a while, I'm currently playing with sjfw smiling smiley
December 13, 2011 11:30AM
Good to know that 20MHz worked. I tried always to make sure that a minimum of 32MHz should work as I want to create a xMega board someday, when I have time for this.

Your comment on the Makefile is correct, but confusing for most compiling just with the Arduino framework.

For every board in Arduino you have a definition in boards.txt like this

##############################################################

sanguino.name=Sanguino
sanguino.upload.protocol=stk500
sanguino.upload.maximum_size=63488
sanguino.upload.speed=38400
sanguino.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
sanguino.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDC
sanguino.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD
sanguino.bootloader.path=atmega644p
sanguino.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex
sanguino.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
sanguino.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
sanguino.build.mcu=atmega644p
sanguino.build.f_cpu=16000000L
sanguino.build.core=arduino

As you see, the ....build.f_cpu should result in a correct definition of the CPU speed during compilation, if you use Arduino directly. That of course only works if you have the correct gen7 specification inserted in your Arduino configuration.

December 13, 2011 04:11PM
Sounds good. I'll give it a try.
December 16, 2011 05:54AM
Hi,

I have now Repetier firmware on my gen7 style hardware ATMega644@20MHz. So far Repetier works pretty well wit the occasional hiccup (sometimes I have trouble with Z homing, but this might be a hardware problem), I'm still calibrating and testing things.

So yes it definitively works and I love the fact you can tweak most things at runtime trough the host software.

BTW: I'm running the host on 64 bit Linux with mono, thanks for making this possible , keep up the good worksmiling smiley
December 16, 2011 06:02AM
@TinHead

Z axis is critical with high speed. I had problems with Z-Axis stall and losing stesps if Z-Speed was too high. Using lower speeds for Z-Axis helped with my printer. A problem with the Z-Endstop can of course cause problems with homing, too. Only while going down the Z-Endstop is tested and cause wrong stops.

December 16, 2011 07:54AM
It's not a speed issue, I have the speed on Z set at a 250mm/min max not very fast, no steps are skipped as far as I can tell.

As I said I suspect a hardware issue (maybe noise) on the Z switch. I'm using switches connected to GND on the always ON connection and pullup's enabled so they are LOW as long as the switch is not triggered and get HIGH when triggered.

I don't seem to have any issue with X and Y as long as I don't boot the machine without the axises being homed but with Z I have to readjust often as homing sometimes stops just before actually triggering the switch, and the firmware stops responding waiting for the trigger to happen. If in this case if I trigger the switch manually it starts responding again. It's like the firmware (or the host) is considering the axis at 0 and it disables the motor at that point :/
December 16, 2011 08:04AM
Try lowering your Z speed to 60mm/min max.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 16, 2011 08:18AM
I could try that too, however I used to run those motors in the same configuration as high as 400mm/min with no steps lost on a now dismantled CNC machine (CNC's are soo yesterday smiling smiley ) with a heavier load than the Prusa X axis + extruder. This is the former machine to get an idea: [letsmakerobots.com]

So I really don't think it's as simple as lost steps and unless the firmware does something different about homing Z I can only blame my switch until otherwise proven.
December 16, 2011 08:48AM
The steppers drivers you use now on the gen7 are probably not driving your motors the way your cnc used to.
You should still try what rhmorrison said, even if only for eliminating that possible point of failure.
December 16, 2011 08:56AM
The drivers are exactly the same ... custom drivers based on TEA3718, so they behave the same.

My electronics is all custom, based on the Gen7 design but modular and with custom drivers ... and a lot bigger grinning smiley
December 16, 2011 08:58AM
Here is my build log if anyone want's more details: [letsmakerobots.com] winking smiley
December 16, 2011 09:45AM
If you run the limit switch leads close to the motor wires the axis will stop prematurely. I have a retry loop in my firmware for homing. Once homed I delay and read the switch again. If it is not open I home again.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 16, 2011 09:56AM
@Nopehead

Yes that seems to describe my problem exactly, I'll have a look at the wiring ... which is not completely arranged anyway.
December 19, 2011 12:07AM
Here are my Gen7 enabled configuration and pins files. They work fine as far as I have tested them. I've tested all the motors, the extruder temp control and homing with min end stops. I printed a partial print with it but I need to tweak the speed and acceleration settings and floss my hobbed bolt before I get good prints. It's freaky fast. smiling smiley

Configuration.gen7.h
pins.gen7.h

I couldn't get the gcode viewer to display anything though, so I did my printing from pronterface. I can do all the manual control from repetier host, and it seems to slice, but the build area display seems to freeze trying to display the model. Do I need a specific DirectX or something. This is a winXP setup.
December 19, 2011 03:09AM
Good to hear everything works. Will incorporate the additions for the next release.

Your problem with Repetier-Host is quite easy to solve. The default config requires OpenGL 1.5 or above. With XP there is a good chance your version is just a bit older. In the 3d settings of Repetier-Host is a switch enable VBOs. If you disable it, it should run with OpenGL 1.0 or newer. If your graphic card doesn't have a OpenGL driver, you need to install one. If you can get an upgrade to OpenGL 1.5 even better. With VBOs display is 5-10 times faster.

December 19, 2011 05:00PM
That did it. Thanks.
December 20, 2011 03:47PM
Would love to run this firmware but I cannot get the prusa heated bed configured :-( I have stated heated bed =true and set the thermistor to type 1, added the temp pin to the array but I cannot see the bed temp and cannot turn it on.. I see a value of 350C if I remember correctly..

If somebody has some config for a 'standard' Ramps 1.4 board... please send me the configuration.h and pins.h.

Otherwise some hints on where I am missing out are also appreciated :-)
December 20, 2011 05:07PM
mhensen Wrote:
> Would love to run this firmware but I cannot get
> the prusa heated bed configured :-( I have stated
> heated bed =true and set the thermistor to type 1,
> added the temp pin to the array but I cannot see
> the bed temp and cannot turn it on.. I see a value
> of 350C if I remember correctly..
>
Read https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/wiki/Installation
especially section "Extruder and heated bed with thermistor". I guess you mixed pin and index number to sensor pins.

December 20, 2011 05:14PM
Ok .. i'll check that when I am at the machine.. But I believe I've set those correctly.. But if you are right I have a high reading of the temp so that would be the cause of not being able to turn on the heated bed :-)

Hmm.. always when writing you can answer your own questions and come to the solution..

I will check tomorrow !!! looks good to me :-)
December 20, 2011 06:04PM
Repetier-Firmware version 0.41

just uploaded the new firmware version. Good news for updaters from 0.40: No changes in configuration.h needed!

Whats new:
- Added a simulated PWM for extruder output. This way all boards can use PID control, even Sangiuno boards (not gen 6, gen 6 works already without simulation) which have the output on a not usable PWM, because the firmware needs this interrupt.
- Fixed everything for compilation with Arduino 1.0 IDE. Make sure to use the correct boards configuration. Arduino 1.0 changed some important files, so you have to take the matching version files.
- Fixed Issue 4 - Wrong output monitoring if heated bed is present (thanks Prihan).
- Added pin configuration for gen7 (thanks bryanandaimee)

December 23, 2011 12:19AM
OK so I have to turn off PWM to get my Gen7 board to control the heaters. That makes sense as the firmware states that timer 0 and 1 used elsewhere and Gen7 is using Pins B3 and B4 which are on Timer 0. I assume Sanguinololu has a similar situation since it uses Pins D4 and D5 which are on Timer 1. But just in case I missed something, is there a way to use PWM on those pins?
December 23, 2011 03:18AM
Hi,

you have two possible solutions. You can use SIMULATE_PWM in version 0.41 or you switch the timer usage for timer 0, which gives you hardware pwm for timer 0, which is the better solution. To do so, go into repetier.h line 42 and change
#if MOTHERBOARD==6 || MOTHERBOARD==62
#define SIMULATE_PWM
#define EXTRUDER_TIMER_VECTOR TIMER2_COMPA_vect
#define EXTRUDER_OCR OCR2A
#define EXTRUDER_TCCR TCCR2A
#define EXTRUDER_TIMSK TIMSK2
#define EXTRUDER_OCIE OCIE2A
into
#if MOTHERBOARD==6 || MOTHERBOARD==62 || MOTHERBOARD==7
#if MOTHERBOARD!=7
#define SIMULATE_PWM
#endif
#define EXTRUDER_TIMER_VECTOR TIMER2_COMPA_vect
#define EXTRUDER_OCR OCR2A
#define EXTRUDER_TCCR TCCR2A
#define EXTRUDER_TIMSK TIMSK2
#define EXTRUDER_OCIE OCIE2A
If you are using 0.40 the SIMULATE_PWM define is not present

Thanks to your information I will change this for future versions, so that it will work without changes.

bryanandaimee Wrote:
> OK so I have to turn off PWM to get my Gen7 board
> to control the heaters. That makes sense as the
> firmware states that timer 0 and 1 used elsewhere
> and Gen7 is using Pins B3 and B4 which are on
> Timer 0. I assume Sanguinololu has a similar
> situation since it uses Pins D4 and D5 which are
> on Timer 1. But just in case I missed something,
> is there a way to use PWM on those pins?

December 23, 2011 07:43AM
:-) Running Firmware & Host from Repetier and the only thing I can say is 'THANKS'!!!!!

Printing stuff and no cleaning to do.. sooo smooth .. I only dialed in the steps andthe rest default .. how cool is that!
And stuff comes out better than I ever could have printed before.. so thanks again!
December 23, 2011 06:04PM
mhensen Wrote:
> Would love to run this firmware but I cannot get
> the prusa heated bed configured :-( I have stated
> heated bed =true and set the thermistor to type 1,
> added the temp pin to the array but I cannot see
> the bed temp and cannot turn it on.. I see a value
> of 350C if I remember correctly..
>
> If somebody has some config for a 'standard' Ramps
> 1.4 board... please send me the configuration.h
> and pins.h.
>
> Otherwise some hints on where I am missing out are
> also appreciated :-)

I figured I'd post here because I just spent a few frustrating hours trying to figure this out, and I'd like to save others the headache tongue sticking out smiley In order to add the heated bed sensor support, you have adjust more than one or two variables. Explained below:

The commented lines are the original configuration, the uncommented one is what you need to change it to. Assuming you're using a 100k thermistor

// #define HAVE_HEATED_BED false
#define HAVE_HEATED_BED true

// #define HEATED_BED_SENSOR_TYPE 0
#define HEATED_BED_SENSOR_TYPE 1

// #define NUM_ANALOG_SENSORS 1
#define NUM_ANALOG_SENSORS 2

// #define ANALOG_INPUT_CHANNELS {TEMP_0_PIN}
#define ANALOG_INPUT_CHANNELS {TEMP_0_PIN,TEMP_1_PIN}
December 23, 2011 06:15PM
That did it. Temps are rock steady now.
Thanks

repetier Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you have two possible solutions. You can use
> SIMULATE_PWM in version 0.41 or you switch the
> timer usage for timer 0, which gives you hardware
> pwm for timer 0, which is the better solution. To
> do so, go into repetier.h line 42 and change
>
> #if MOTHERBOARD==6 || MOTHERBOARD==62
> #define SIMULATE_PWM
> #define EXTRUDER_TIMER_VECTOR TIMER2_COMPA_vect
> #define EXTRUDER_OCR OCR2A
> #define EXTRUDER_TCCR TCCR2A
> #define EXTRUDER_TIMSK TIMSK2
> #define EXTRUDER_OCIE OCIE2A
>
> into
>
> #if MOTHERBOARD==6 || MOTHERBOARD==62 ||
> MOTHERBOARD==7
> #if MOTHERBOARD!=7
> #define SIMULATE_PWM
> #endif
> #define EXTRUDER_TIMER_VECTOR TIMER2_COMPA_vect
> #define EXTRUDER_OCR OCR2A
> #define EXTRUDER_TCCR TCCR2A
> #define EXTRUDER_TIMSK TIMSK2
> #define EXTRUDER_OCIE OCIE2A
>
> If you are using 0.40 the SIMULATE_PWM define is
> not present
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login