Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Casting Mendel parts

Posted by foton 
Casting Mendel parts
August 30, 2010 01:15PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 01:24PM by foton.
Re: Casting Mendel parts
September 10, 2010 04:34AM
How good are those parts? Would they be sufficient to build up a mendel and make the mendel build another set of real parts?
I mean, they can only be as good as the master parts the cast mold has been made from, maybe worse.
I am thinking of a low-cost approach to build a mendel and cast parts are one of the key cost-savers.
September 10, 2010 02:06PM
yellobello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How good are those parts?

Lots of people have build Mendel printers using these parts, myself included and I would be surprised if you felt the need to replace them with printed parts at the end, as the finished product is almost
exactly the same, the main draw back is that the assembly takes slightly longer as some of the parts need the holes drilled. These parts are normally available on ebay. Hope that answers your question!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 02:07PM by foton.
yellobello
September 10, 2010 04:24PM
foton Wrote:

> Hope that answers your
> question!

It did! You convinced me! I was partially wrong when stating that the quality of the parts would be equal or worse, which
might be true for the outer shape, but I did not consider stiffness, which can easily be reached by epoxy resins.
I´ve given it a try, thanks for clarifiying!
September 30, 2010 09:56AM
foton,

i've bought your parts and are pretty happy with them for the amount of money i'm paying.

my only question is about the parts that are missing the cavity for trapped nuts, for instance how do you expect people to attach the gears to the motor shafts? Tapping the plastic isn't really ideal (although possible) and also drilling the hole precisely so the grub screw goes directly down onto the shaft can be hard with limited tools.

How did you get around this? If you are tapping the plastic, what size thread are you using?
October 31, 2010 09:12AM
I bought these parts a while back and the quality for the money was ok. There is a lot post processing required, not just the drilling of holes as some of the mold parts look like they have been overfilled requiring filing the parts to thickness.

Parts are strong enough and for €100, which does save quite a bit of money from the other reprap printed parts, it is worth it.

Pity the parts aren't as cheap as the spreadsheet says they would be, I laughed when i saw the prices first!
November 04, 2010 01:15PM
Hi mlagana

To answer your question about attaching the motor cogs, I find the best solution is to simply use self tapping screws, screwing them directly into the plastic which will hold it tight against the shaft, to illiterate this...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 06:38AM by foton.
November 09, 2010 12:35AM
i used to attatch my film-cogs in a similar way, but now am casting a nut encased in the plastic which makes it alot more reliable
November 17, 2010 09:52PM
Is it possible to use a heated bed with those parts? And ABS parts? Are your parts going to mold at a certain temperature?

[zaunerelektronik.net]
November 25, 2010 10:31AM
Hi osterchrisi

The plastic used to make these parts is polyurethane a thermosetting plastic which has a higher heat deflection temperature than ABS (220 degrees), so they should work fine with a heat bed.
June 25, 2012 11:10AM
Hello foton,
Where did you get the mold materials. Where is the cheapest place to get them? I'm new here, but this mold-making is very interesting to me. Thanks.
foton labs
June 25, 2012 11:33AM
Hi 3Der

I purchase my plastics and mold making material from a company called mbfg in the UK, they were the cheapest and best option form me but it depends where you are located, here's the link

[www.mbfg.co.uk]

Good luck experimenting
July 14, 2012 04:39PM
I started with injection moulded ABS parts for the 6 vertex pieces.
In the design, they appear to be the key parts for rigidity of the basic
supporting framework.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login