Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis

Posted by enob 
Z axis
October 22, 2011 01:58PM
Hello,

Trying to finish up my reprap. I have it all hooked up and wired. I am using Sanguinololu electronics with sprinter firmware and replicatorg. My X and Y axis move as they are supposed to but my Z just makes a noise and doesn't actually move.

What do I do?
Re: Z axis
October 22, 2011 02:16PM
Reduce the speed to 50 mm/min.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 22, 2011 02:40PM
It still doesn't work. It goes down but not up
October 22, 2011 03:06PM
Anyone want to make some money in the Buffalo area? I have no idea what to do now..
VDX
October 22, 2011 03:36PM
... check the endstop for Z - if it's active, then the axis moves only in one direction ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 22, 2011 03:44PM
Make sure you have the zaxis wired correctly. The motors will just hum or beat back and forth if one of the wires isn't connected.

The other thing to check is the power output from your drivers is enough. They should be putting out around an amp or so.
October 22, 2011 03:47PM
I checked the zaxis motors by pulling the threaded rods. They both spin in both directions the same way, so they are working properly. When I put it all back together it still doesn't work. I feel like it is binding in some places. It moves if I help it with my fingers
October 22, 2011 04:17PM
You may just need to turn up the current. I personally have run my Z stage on my Repstrap at 95% of maximum amperage on a Pololu A4983 for months and months without any real issues. I have heatsinks and a fan blowing across them, they will overheat and go into protection mode after about 50mm of continuous travel @ 15mm/s (900mm/m) but during printing they never have issues.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 22, 2011 04:21PM
Oh, that sounds about right. I didn't know I could turn up the current. How do you do that?
October 22, 2011 05:06PM
The little dial on the stepper driver board adjusts the current. You should start at about 1/4 of a turn from the lowest setting and turn it up from there. Never turn it all the way up. ( Less = counter clockwise ~~~~ More = clockwise )

Too high and the motors and driver will overheat. You want it just high enough that you never miss steps.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
October 22, 2011 08:59PM
Here is how you change the amp on the drivers:
[www.emakershop.com] 2: Axes
October 22, 2011 09:54PM
zomie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is how you change the amp on the drivers:
> [www.emakershop.com]
> ssioning#Step 2: Axes

This refers to setting the current using a Multimeter and is specified for the motors the E-maker Huxley is using. Some motors will need 2A and some will only need 300mA so just setting it to 1A is not a really good idea. You may just burn your motors out if they can't handle that amperage.

October 22, 2011 11:04PM
YES! Thank you guys so much. It works after turning up the current. I just had to turn it a little less than a quarter turn. The driver doesn't get hot either (well in my little test). Now I guess I am off to calibrating it tomorrow. I have to take a break, I have been working on this for hours straight.

I hope calibration goes easy on me smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login