Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snap-in mendel extruder

Posted by unicoder 
Snap-in mendel extruder
October 23, 2011 03:48PM
Prusa has .scad code for a snap-in x-carriage (the code is in the github repository), but I can't find the code for the snap-in extruder to match. Has anybody made this?
Re: Snap-in mendel extruder
October 23, 2011 04:17PM
I have not seen anybody use that.

There are various snap-on extruders designs on thingiverse, like [www.thingiverse.com] and [www.thingiverse.com]

Personally I prefer just bolting the extruder down, it's only two bolts anyway.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 23, 2011 04:35PM
Really? For me it's at least six bolts away because one of the mount bolts is buried under the extruder motor, how did you fix that? Still I'd prefer to eliminate the bolts, isn't that part of what the Reprap project is all about? That's also what I like about Prusa's imlementation, no magnets required.
October 23, 2011 05:55PM
If you use a hex head bolt under the motor you can get a spanner to it, but it is a bit tedious.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 23, 2011 05:59PM
I use a gregstruder, and yes on my prusa with lm8uu carraige I have to take out two bolts on the motor to tilt it away and access the bolt, because I can't fit a 8mm pipe underneath to unscrew it quickly. So make that 4 bolts.

On the open x carriage on my sells, I just slide a spanner under the extruder motor and use a pipe from the underside of the carriage to loosen the nut.

And I'm by no means discouraging you from using a different design, just saying I haven't seen one personally, so you might have to make it yourself.

One could also combine the extruder and carriage into one part.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 26, 2011 10:16PM
I use Greg's hinged extruder, which has hex-shaped holes for nuts on the extruder block. The bolts screw into the extruder block from underneath. So it literally is just two bolts to remove it.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login