Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End stops not working?

Posted by enob 
End stops not working?
October 24, 2011 06:19PM
Hey guys,

Just finishing it up and you all have been so much help so far.

I am trying to wire up the endstops, well I think they are wired up. I am using mechanical end stops with Sanguinololu electronics. I hooked them up like it says in the wiki. I hooked them to common and NO, and then used the two outside pins on the board.
I did what it says and in the Sprinter firmware I changed this:
//// Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors
// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; //set to true to invert the logic of the

I tried commenting out #define ENDSTOPPULLUPS but that didn't work either. Do I need to put the resistors in or am I just making a mistake with the firmware?
When I load any changes in the endstop settings to the board, the movement of the steppers changes and only moves in one direction, then it won't move at all. If I leave it at the defaults, (inverting is false) they operate properly, They just don't stop if they hit the endstop.

Thanks again reprappers!
Re: End stops not working?
October 24, 2011 07:12PM
October 24, 2011 07:45PM
Is that the same as this statement?
const bool ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true

I guess I am not sure what you mean.
October 24, 2011 07:51PM
Yes that one. And if they only go in one direction then you need to set that to the opposite of what it is currently.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 24, 2011 08:00PM
I have it set as
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS (commented out)
const bool ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false
What happens is the motors move around fine, they move in all directions and when they hit the endstops it is like nothing happened. This is the same behavior as if I was to leave it stock (like the first post where inverting was true).

If I change it to
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS
They jump around and act really weird. They only move in one direction.
October 25, 2011 06:47AM

If I change it to
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS
They jump around and act really weird. They only move in one direction.

Looks like your endstops are pretty unreliable, catching up electromagnetic noise.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 25, 2011 08:35AM
How would you suggest fixing noise? I thought that is why the documentation has pull up resistors, but the Sanguinololu electronics exclude them. Can I put a cap between the two pins on the switch to get rid of the noise?

As a side note, can I just turn off endstops completely in the firmware? Obviously I would have to generate the gcode without homing, is there any other disadvantages?
October 26, 2011 05:26AM

How would you suggest fixing noise?

AFAIK, this noise was the reason why opto endstops were invented.

I thought that is why the documentation has pull up resistors

Nope. Pullups are required to produce a high signal while the switch is open. That said, ATmegas have pullups built in, to the one shown on the wiki page is redundant.

Can I put a cap between the two pins on the switch to get rid of the noise?

It's worth a try.

As a side note, can I just turn off endstops completely in the firmware?

Teacup firmware uses endstops for homing only (ignores them while printing) and has debouncing implemented (see ENDSTOP_STEPS in config.h), so you're pretty safe even with unreliable endstops.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 26, 2011 06:14AM
Opto endstops are just as prone to noise as switches. It is the wiring that picks up the noise.

Built in pull-ups are weak and have a wide tolerance. External pull-ups are better for this application.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login