Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing the Prism Mendel

Posted by Buback 
Re: Introducing the Prism Mendel
April 15, 2012 05:32PM
As long as the motor are on the the bottom, you don't have the prusa's Z flaw. So nice work.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
April 16, 2012 09:22AM
Excellent! Great job!

Now the Prism is an upgrade path for both Prusa and Sells mendels!
April 28, 2012 07:46PM
I have committed to building a Prism,but with a slight change... I'm going to use the Makerslide system for the Y and X axis. I will be designing a vertical mount for the X-axis.

I saw on the Prism wiki that you would like to make OpenSCAD files for all the Prism parts. Is anyone working on this? If not, I would be willing to redo all the parts in OpenSCAD, but I do not want to duplicate efforts if someone is already in the process.
April 30, 2012 10:35AM
Excellent! First, check out this design for a mendelmax makerslide X: [www.thingiverse.com] It might be a good starting point for you to progress from.

And openSCAD would be greatly appreciated. My skills there are lacking so they won't be coming from me, but the basic frame parts shouldn't be difficult at all. Motor mounts and rod holders might be a little trickier. All the parts are on Github, if you want to fork.
May 01, 2012 02:07PM
Hey! I've ordered the extrusions and T-nuts this weekend. Already have most of the hardware, but I worked out a basic BOM for those interested in the cost of the build. Going a bit further and stepping the machine up to 500mm extrusions. As a result I'm going up to 10mm rods on the x and y axes. Still looking for a good 10mm x-carriage. Hoping Richrap will put out a parameterized version of his quick-fit carriage soon. Printing out the parts now...

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - PrismMendel BOM.xlsx (16.1 KB)
May 04, 2012 02:00PM
Just popped this up on thingiverse if anyone needs a y-axis rod holder for 10mm rods.

- akhlut

May 15, 2012 12:47PM
Hi everyone, I have been following the reprap projects on and off for a few years now and I finally decided to jump in.

I am going to build a Mendel Prism but im affraid im going to need some help/guidance. I was wondering of someone in here is familiar with the Prism and could assist me now and then.

For the moment im trying to source all the parts for the frame, once i got that done Ill dive into the electronics and the X axis + carriage.

I have found these Nema 17 on ebay and was wondering if you guys think they will be ok for this, I have read some place about the shaft being too long on some models and there may be other things to watch for when purchasing those so i could use a hand here too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Nema17-for-12VDC-2800g-cm-34mm-length-4-Lead-1-8-Wantai-Stepper-Motor-/180832900096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1a7b1400#ht_3417wt_1163

I was also wondering if someone in here would print and sell me the printable parts for the Prism, if so PM me.

Thanks a bunch! Can't wait to get printing and help design a better printer with you guys.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 12:59PM by thecrazy.
May 15, 2012 01:12PM
thecrazy,
Welcome to the club!
I bought mine rods at vxb.com, the price probably not the cheapest but quality is good and supplier is reliable. So I bought 2 pcs of 330mm for Z (that fits perfect on prism, no need to cut) and 4 pcs of 406mm for X and Y. 406mm could be little bit too long for Y, but if you would use mine Y holders that not a problem, as it does not have to fit inside frame. Same story for X.
I also bought some 608/624 bearings there, but that could not be the best price easily.
You probably also forgot LM8UU - you would need 9-12pcs, depends on your config. I just bought them on ebay for ~$1.9 each
May 15, 2012 01:24PM
Hi there rGlory,

I had no clue i was going to need the LM8UU are those part of the X axis? I am not there yet, im just trying to find the parts for the frame at this point.

Buback was kind enough to answer a few of my questions, he suggested I take a look at [ultimachine.com] as they literaly have ALL the parts I need except for the aluminium frame and the special nuts that fit in to its grooves.

I dont know what im going to do for the carriage and the X axis yet... this one will be a puzzle for me, not sure which one to build for the Prism. I guess ill have to build the one from the mendelmax and mess around till it fits.
May 15, 2012 03:15PM
> I had no clue i was going to need the LM8UU are those part of the X axis? I am not there yet, im just trying to find the parts for the frame at this point.
Normally you would need 4 LM8UU for Y bed, 4 or 2 for X ends (depends on model) and 3 or 4 for X carriage. That's why I said 9 to 12 pcs.
For X ends on Prism I used Adrian's prusa ends from here [reprap.org] but looks like standard Prusa ends also have stepper motor moved and should work fine on prism (older Prusa X motor end had issue with motor hitting the frame).
For ultimachine I also bought some stuff from them and very happy with their service.
May 22, 2012 09:32PM
Got all main parts made in Openscad and made most of them parametric. I have also started designing the makerslide parts. You can find the fork at [github.com]. Let me know if there is anything that needs changing. I will post pictures of the progress of my Prism build in a bit...

Egenoup
May 22, 2012 11:49PM
Hooray!

Thanks egenoup!

- akhlut

May 23, 2012 05:26AM
Great job Egenoup. I can see many easy modifications that I can derive from your work, thanks.

May 23, 2012 02:59PM
Here is the link to the build photos...

RepRap Prism Build Photos
May 23, 2012 03:45PM
Looks great! The makerslide looks very interesting - can't wait to see how you tackle the build.

- akhlut

May 23, 2012 04:07PM
Wow nice!
I already want to switch to makerslide smiling smiley
May 24, 2012 04:07AM
Great looking build so far!
May 24, 2012 10:48AM
I've been occupied elsewhere the past couple months, but I'm glad to see that Prism development is self-sustaining now!

Excellent work, everyone! And thanks especially to Egenoup for his SCAD work.
July 02, 2012 06:18AM
I've been a bit long but my Prism is finally complete. Still struggling with settings, but had a couple of nice test prints already.

It's so great when fiddling with some nuts at the back of the machine to be able to reliably bend myself over the top extrusion without fear of crushing the machine like I would on a Prusa spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I need to take some pictures, in the meantime I've published 2 of my hacks :

Little blocks to attach a handle to the top extrusion : [www.thingiverse.com]
Z belt springy idler that I've discussed here before : [www.thingiverse.com]

July 02, 2012 11:52AM
Congrats and thanks for the upgrades!
July 04, 2012 12:31AM
It is fun to build the Prism!
I could not help myself but to assemble another one smiling smiley So as I do not need two I am selling the second one on ebay. Also it would be interesting to see if people would want it. Here is the item [www.ebay.com]
July 04, 2012 04:59AM
Nice build rGlory, looks like you're far more efficient than me.

Can you give the source of your adjustable endstop holders ? I'm going to mount my endstops soon, my Prism would love to print herself some parts winking smiley

July 06, 2012 03:29AM
As promised, some pictures of my Prism.

Overview :

Z belt path with my custom idler :

X idler, I should do something to make the belt nearest to the axis, it currently limit my Z height around 10 cm.

X motor mount hacked out of spare metal bits laying around. Was needed to push the motor out of under the extrusions, which was a severe limitation to my Z printable space. Prusa Z/X axis parts are not really optimized for a Prism.

Details of the bed mount. The champaign cork is here to stick the thermistor right in the heated bed pcb center hole.
The base plate was hand sawed out of a kitchen cutting plate. They say it should resist 120°C (machine washable), and it was a piece of cake to cut and drill, but it's a lil bit too much flexing, I'll have to replace it with something more rigid sometimes.

Ramps mounted on the right hand side of the machine, using [www.thingiverse.com] :

Printing in progress :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 08:18AM by DeuxVis.

Attachments:
open | download - Prism_overview.jpg (233.8 KB)
open | download - Prism_Z_Springy_Idler.jpg (200.3 KB)
open | download - Prism_X_Idler.jpg (173.2 KB)
open | download - Prism_hacked_X_Motor_Mount.jpg (186.1 KB)
open | download - Prism_bed_mount.jpg (184.3 KB)
open | download - Prism_Ramps_mount.jpg (235.1 KB)
open | download - Prism_Printing_ifrisbie_Mendel_Clamps.jpg (190.6 KB)
July 06, 2012 09:32PM
DeuxVis,

Looks fantastic! I really like your alternative use of everyday items - the X-axis motor mount hack is great! I also like the way you used the telephone cord - brilliant!

- akhlut

July 10, 2012 10:36AM
Looks great! I guess my next big design project will have to be working on prism specific axes.
July 10, 2012 11:18AM
Kinda already did that. Just need to resize the rods and drive nuts for standard machines.

These X-ends are for 10mm X rods, LM8UU's and a 3/8" ACME leadscrew and nuts.

Got alot on my plate right now, but if anyone needs a specific setup just let me know. I can modify the files fairly quickly now.

- akhlut

July 10, 2012 11:26AM
Looks nice akhlut !

Did you make it using openscad ?
If so, just publish the sources, we'll modify it ourself for our needs smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 11:27AM by DeuxVis.

July 10, 2012 11:32AM
It was made in 123D. Sadly, I am not a programmer so no openscad...

the files are on my github.

Let me know if you have any trouble with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 11:35AM by akhlut.

- akhlut

July 11, 2012 02:01PM
Nice!
July 11, 2012 02:46PM
There are several new parts on the github.

Use the BASE - xxxx v20.123D files rather than the ACME9505 files - the lm8uu holder has been tweaked a little bit.

These parts are not final-tested, but should be pretty close. There is a new Z-axis on there as well that goes on the outside of the frame.

Just some of the things I've got in the pipeline. A new release of every part should be out in about a week or so, as well as a minor change to the frame to allow for a split top.

- akhlut

Attachments:
open | download - Split top.jpg (160.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login