Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thermistor issue

Posted by morrist 
thermistor issue
January 12, 2012 06:14PM
hello, recently i have got sprinter to work on my techzone monolithic electronics. i added a thermistor from the approved list and i have been making a few parts here and there. but i am having huge temperature fluctuations that is preventing me from making more progress. any ideas on what might make the temperature vary plus or minus 10 degrees consistently? Thank you

Morrist
Re: thermistor issue
January 12, 2012 06:35PM
Be default, sprinter uses bang-bang control for the heaters. Bang bang always fluctuates. A high thermal mass heater with the thermistor positoned close to the heating element will fluctuate less than one which heats very quickly with a thermistor that reads temperature changes only after the propagate across the entire heater block.

You can enable PID control which will, when properly tuned, stabilize any heater. If not properly tuned, it may oscillate as badly as bang bang control, or be entirely unstable. The relevant defines start at line 121 of configuration.h. You may want to read 'PID without a PhD' if the default settings aren't right for your heater.
January 12, 2012 07:06PM
i noticed the PID section in the firmware, is that the general consensus in the community to use that type of control? im going to move the thermistor and see if i can get better results that way. It makes sense as they aren't very close to each other( the core and the thermistor). thanks for these suggestions, i will post how i make out
January 14, 2012 12:52PM
so i have yet to change any of the settings and have been getting fairly successful prints. i have to move back to school tomorrow, so i will wait until then to take it apart and make more changes. but here are the pictures of the couple prints i have made. these are the best in quality that i have made, and i would like to thank the community for help received now and in the past.
Attachments:
open | download - successful prints.jpg (25.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login