Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about belts in prusa Mendel

Posted by terramir 
Question about belts in prusa Mendel
January 31, 2012 12:30PM
Hi it's terramir,
Okies looked into the belt issue, and I have read that for smoothness etc. it would be better for me to have mxl or t2.5 gears.

Here's the catch since I live in the USA I have a choice of 4.8 mm mXL or 6.4 mm mXL considering the loading strength is determined by width,
6.4 might be the better option since the loading capacity is 33N/mm breaking strength is 41N/mm, 6.4 would be the safer choice.
And the bearings that we use have a 7mm wide rolling surface (for lack of a better term since we are misusing them).
Are there any caveats that I am not thinking of? Any downfalls I should be looking at?
These belts are made out of fiberglass re-enforced neoprene 4.8 is a little cheaper, but really the few bucks difference
doesn't matter as long as the belts lasts a longer time.(I'm thinking 6.4 would stretch a heck of a lot less relatively since it is stronger)
BTW any hints on care of these neoprene belts?
Let me know and thanks for your comments
terramir
Re: Question about belts in prusa Mendel
January 31, 2012 11:50PM
still need some input on this subject help
will 6.4 work and if so what problems may I encounter
terramir
February 01, 2012 03:41PM
Here, check out this page on the mendel max site. This same info would apply to any mendel:
Choosing Belts and Pulleys
February 02, 2012 05:31AM
very well priced MXL pullies:
[www.ebay.com.au]

very well priced MXL belt:
[www.ebay.com.au]
February 02, 2012 01:25PM
actually decided to go with gt2, found some polycarbonate pulley's with 14 teeth and a 4mm bore I'll have to drill that out to 5mm but that should not be a problem.
it's actually a good thing I read all of this smiling smiley I ordered 6mm gt2 belts.
But honestly I still don't have an answer about my original question will wider than 5mm belts cause problems and if so which ones

terramir
February 02, 2012 02:55PM
Shouldn't cause any problems as long as the belts and pulleys match.
February 02, 2012 03:38PM
yes but what about the bearings on the other side or in case of the y axis both bearings I mean the surface of the bearing is 7mm across therefore widing it from 5mm to 6mm does reduce the tolerances a bit. Do you guys see any problems with this?
6mm will be stronger than 5mm therefore it will reduce the wear on the belts overall and increase the lifetime usabillity, however there is a limit to extending the lifespan due to the fact that the neoprene will degrade over time, so going any higher and using snap on guide wheels for the pulleys may be not advised once it gets to a certain point where and when those factors come into play I do not know.
terramir
February 03, 2012 01:12AM
you have no need to worry about the wear and lifetime of the belt, since we'll have moved on to something different or a different size by that time. smiling smiley

with 608 bearings and fender washers you'll be fine. you'll be able to print no problem. If you find it rubs too much for your liking, you can away stack a second 608 to the nut, making it double wide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login