Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

z axis calibration

Posted by thirty 
z axis calibration
February 22, 2012 10:57AM
Hello, there is a problem with my calibration, when the axis is supposed to move 10mm it moves only 2.3mm
I have looked for topics in the forum about how to adjust the firmware,but no success.
Its an old Mendel with Sprinter,Printrun and Slic3r that I'm finally getting to print.
Thank you in advance
Re: z axis calibration
February 22, 2012 11:32AM
Could be a couple of things. Have you set the steps per mm value in the firmware correctly for the Z axis? In Sprinter it will be in the Config.h file. The other potential problem could be the z-axis motor is stalling due to either insufficient current or insufficient torque. When the z-axis does move, is it jerky or does it move smoothly?

Also, try turning the z-axis with the Mendel powered off and pulling on the Z-belt, does it move freely? When I built my original Mendel I had to spend a long time tweaking the Z-axis to get it to move freely. A combination of a bad M8 nut, non-parallel threaded rod and printed parts that need better cleaning caused me problems. In the end I had to beef up the stepper on the Z-axis too.

Good luck.

James

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
February 22, 2012 01:13PM
If it is a Sell's Mendel rather than a Prusa you have to take the gearing down effect of the pulleys into consideration. IIRC 8 : 22. The default will be for direct drive.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 23, 2012 10:05AM
So I did 8/22=2.75*3200=8800 and it appears to be the number I needed. 8800/1.25
Thanks
February 27, 2012 03:10PM
After getting the correct number of stepps for the z axis in Printrun. Is it a remaining problem to get it to work to together with gcode generated by Slic3r or SFACT.When I run the calibration _33x10.stl I only get 5 to 7.5mm in height. I have set the speed low so it will not miss steps. Where is the problem?
February 28, 2012 12:18PM
Make sure you regenerate the gcode after making any firmware changes.
February 29, 2012 02:28AM
grog
Make sure you regenerate the gcode after making any firmware changes.

eye popping smiley WHY? You only need to regenerate the gcode after making changes to the parameters to your slicing program!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 04, 2012 08:31AM
My Z-axis belt was to tightconfused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login