Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What happened to the calibration part in Prusa iteration 2?

Posted by spaztik 
What happened to the calibration part in Prusa iteration 2?
January 05, 2012 06:12PM
I noticed that the calibration part disappeared a few commits before iteration 2 was officially released. I am unsure how to fine tune the hole sizes without this part except to print and then reprint large parts, wasting a lot of plastic and time. I have printed some of the smaller parts with default values and the hole sizes came too large. I tried downloading the calibration part from an earlier commit and was able to fine tune the hole sizes on that part. Even so, when I tried to print the x-end-motor part the M8 nut hole was far too large. The smooth rod holes were too small but I forgot to change those in the configuration though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fine tune the hole sizes for Prusa iteration 2?
Re: What happened to the calibration part in Prusa iteration 2?
January 06, 2012 03:49AM
I think I saw a bug report about the M8 nut size being wrong.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2012 11:23AM
I see bug #44 m8 nut diameter in metric.scad is wrong, but that is referring to the default value in metric.scad. I have entered a different value in configuration.scad which should override what is in metric.scad but the hole is still too big.
January 08, 2012 01:35PM
I printed the LM8U Prusa Iteration 2 X end idler part on my prusa to build a Mendelmax and, as you have observed, the 8mm nut hole size is too big. I imported the stl file into an stl viewer (minimagics) and measured the size of the 8mm hex nut hole to make ensure that my printer
was properly calibrated. There was no problem with calibration. I have the personal version of Alibre for altering the design, but this version of the program will only import Autocad files.

Any suggestions?
January 11, 2012 04:59PM
Was the size of the 8mm nut hole that you measured in the STL viewer different than the value of the m8 nut hole value in metric.scad? The trouble I had is that I adjusted the size of the 8mm nut hole (in configuration.scad) to the correct size and it was still to large. If the measured value is equal to the value in metric.scad then you can override the default value by enter the size you want for 8mm nut hole in configuration.scad.
January 20, 2012 12:15PM
The nut hole size diameter was the same as measured in the stl file viewer as given in metric.scad. I changed the value for the size in
configuration.scad to 13.1 from 14.1 and the metric hex nuts that measured about 12.85 from flat to flat fit perfectly in the newly compiled
and printed lm8uu newly printed xendmotor.stl. For those who are also new to this, as I am, do not forget to uncomment the line where
you change the value (remove \\) and if you want to compile a part that holds the linear lm8uu bearings, change linear = false to linear = true.

Thank you SPAZTIK for the pointers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login