Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob hardware questions

Posted by darryn 
Noob hardware questions
October 08, 2012 12:36PM
Hi all.
I am busy getting together my list of supplies to build a Prusa I2 printer.
I have decided to source the parts myself and I have a few questions:

M8 Threaded Rod: Is there a particular pitch that it needs to be? Is there any specific materical it should be made from? I have been given the option of galvinised ready bar from a supplier. Would this be the correct threaded rod?
M8 washers: What metal should these be, or would any type be fine? What size should their diameter (OD) be?
M8 fender washers: What metal should these be, or would any type be fine? What size should their diameter be (OD)? I read somewhere that that should be 30mm.
M8 nuts: I suppose any nuts that match the threaded rod should be fine? Any specific metal they should be made of?

I am sorry for the really painful questions, but i would like to get this right the first time, without wasting money and time.

TIA
Re: Noob hardware questions
October 08, 2012 02:33PM
M8 threaded rod: pitch :1.25mm, material, your choice, but stainless is good if you're going to be in an environment in which things rust readily (basements, garages, for instance). Harder rod will hold its thread better over time for the z-axis.

zinc plated steel should be fine for the washers. As far as the specific diameters, not exactly sure, but since most are used for assembly, their sizes shouldn't matter a great deal. One thing I see omitted from most parts list are lockwashers. I picked up a box of star washers as well.

Don't run off and order parts just yet though. Wait for another reply to confirm or deny the specifics of mine. I'm barely beyond newb status to reprap myself.
October 09, 2012 03:20PM
Zinc plated rods are fine for the frame and on my first printer I used them for the z-axis lead screws too. On the second one I use stainless threaded rod for the lead screws as it is straighter. I also used nyloc nuts on the ends of the rods on the second one just to make it last longer although the first one never came loose even without spring washers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 09, 2012 05:38PM
washers diameter does matter smiling smiley. :Look for 14 or 16 mm od
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login