Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie need some help...

Posted by The-ez 
Newbie need some help...
February 07, 2013 06:05PM
hey everybody.

this morning i finished the assembly of my prusa mendel v2.
using marlin on my RAMPS 1.4
slicer and pronterface on an iMac

everything works fine, i mean i can move every axes by pressing the buttons, i ajusted the distances in marlin
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {76.91,79.777,1770.7,760*1.1}
so it appears to be in order.

i tried to print without PLA just to see if the movements were correct and they were.
i made a few more adjustments than started a real print with PLA and everything went wrong...
each motor tried to go the opposite way, i had to unplug the printer to stop it
i replugged it, tried to move each axis individualy everything was fine, i restarted a print and i faced the same issue than before...

anybody knows what i've done wrong?

it's my first 3D printer

and something i forgot to tell you : i removed the endstops i had way to many issues with those, motor only moving in one direction or none, and sometimes the carriers went further after the endstop...

thanks
Manu
Re: Newbie need some help...
February 07, 2013 06:21PM
#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

around about lin 235 in configuration.h of the firmware. give it a look
February 07, 2013 07:30PM
it's worst actually
the carriers goes the good way but never stop
i have to unplug the printer

is there a way to set the home position manually?
February 07, 2013 07:34PM
Have you got the end stop plugged into the correct socket. If you have the min plugged into the max it won't stop
February 07, 2013 07:48PM
at first i wired everything according to [reprap.org].
at least i think i did
but i had issues so i unplugged all the endstops.

i ran a test with a different socket and it's weirder : my Z axis won't go down unless i press the endstop
isn't it supposed to do the opposite?
February 07, 2013 09:57PM
can it be related to a slic3r setting by any chance?
February 07, 2013 11:32PM
I had trouble with axis directions at first, too. I spent a lot of time with trial and error, changing INVERT_?_DIR and other settings until I took a deep breath and stopped to think about what was going on.

The reason that your axes are only going in one direction is that your firmware is concerned about the endstops, which are absent. My advice would be to try this:

0. Put your endstops back on!
1. One by one, make sure your axes all home in the correct direction.
2. One by one, make sure your axes move in the right direction using manual commands in Pronterface. (The at-first-confusing part, for me, anyway: +y in Pronterface should make the bed move towards you. Think of (x=0, y=0) as the front left corner of your bed.)
3. Make sure a real print works. If this is where things start going wrong, try a different slicer. If another slicer works, it's not your firmware.

Here's what I have. Mechanical endstops at left of x, back of y, and bottom of z. Keep in mind that your settings might be different, and mine might not be perfect:

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z true
#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
February 08, 2013 07:15AM
just to say that you dont have to run with endstops! i have ramps 1.4 with marlin, the only changes i had to make were in slice3r, where i changed the start and end gcode, all i do to run a print is manually jog the head down to the bed, set the height with a piece of paper, then hit the print button.

i had tried the opto end stops but these were very unreliable! with the slightest of touches to the alu flags the home position would be out, or it would completely miss the flag and just keep on going..

if you are not going to use the end stops, i would completely unplug them from the ramps.
February 08, 2013 11:47AM
Thanks sweaving
that was the answer i was looking for!
i ran a dry test (without PLA) and all the movements were accurate
as soon as i find some time later i'll try a real print
thanks a lot
February 08, 2013 09:22PM
seems like i have another issue....
i don't know yet what i have done wrong but there's a problem with my extruder or my hot end (or both)
i put the PLA in, press the extrude 5mm button on pronterface, everything seems to works, i manage to have matter going out of the hot end (it also work if i do it manually but pushing the filament with my hand)
i set my home position, start a print, the first layer prints "perfectly"
than it jam.. the wheel of the extruder turn but no filament goes in

when i remove the filament it has a weird shape like the end is solid 1,75mm then 1"1/2 melted then solid again (new)
i don't know if i'm clear...

what i use :
1,75 mm filament
0.35 mm nozzle
GREG extruder
JHEAD made out of PTFE (not sure about the name)
185°C hotend
extrusion speed 5mm/s

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 12:28PM by The-ez.
February 09, 2013 11:33AM
here's a picture of the filament :
Attachments:
open | download - photo1.JPG (526.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login