Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3mm filament with Reprappro's Mendel

Posted by carldr 
3mm filament with Reprappro's Mendel
April 26, 2013 07:21AM
Hey guys,

I've got a Reprappro Mendel with a 1.75mm extruder, and I'm looking into adding an extruder which can handle 3mm filament (so I can take advantage of the cheaper-per-cc 3mm filament from Faberdashery.) I'm new to the Reprap (and 3D printing in general) so I'm not sure if this is something I can do off the shelf, or just how much I'll have to sort out for myself. That said, it seems pretty simple.

I have no plans to go multi-colour, so I am thinking I'd attach the 3mm extruder to one of the spare mounts on the x carriage, and then switch round the wiring on my PCB when I want to switch between the two extruders, as opposed to moving entirely to 3mm filament.

Will this [reprapworld.com] be suitable as a starting point? Is there something better to use as a starting point? I realise I'd need a bunch of other hardware components too, but I can basically use the design of my existing extruder for as the basis for that.

Regards,
Carl.
jcr
Re: 3mm filament with Reprappro's Mendel
May 01, 2013 10:37AM
Hi Carl,

Those v5 style hotends seem to be EOL-ed and for a few bucks more, much better hotends are available. So if you don't mind spending a little extra on a hotend and want a good one, get a 3mm J-Head mkV
Re: 3mm filament with Reprappro's Mendel
May 02, 2013 01:02PM
Hello,
I think you would find it easier to use a hotend/3mm nozzle from reprappro as there are subtle differences between machines supplied by various companies.One of theirs should fit onto the carriage
alongside your other head.
trustytrev.smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login