Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Top Speeds Achieved on an i3?

Posted by danfinlay 
Top Speeds Achieved on an i3?
July 10, 2013 03:33AM
Hey there,

I've been tuning my i3 a lot lately, and have been keeping the speed low (around 50mm/s) while I sort out other issues, but at the same time I'm looking forward to pushing that speed barrier.

What are the top speeds you've coaxed out of your Prusa i3? I guess I should ask about the quality in the same breath, since I'm not curious about total garbage prints, but fastest practical, reliable speeds you've achieved.

If you've hit particularly impressive speeds, I'd love to hear your thoughts about what it takes to get extra fast prints, be it stability out of your frame, maintaining temp from the nozzle, or what have you.
Re: Top Speeds Achieved on an i3?
July 21, 2013 12:02PM
I assume for a given motor nothing much changes between printer designs.
Or is the speed limit to do with flex or vibration or something?

Anyway I have no experience. I run at 60mm/s on my standard prusa mendel because thats what slic3r defaulted to i believe.
Re: Top Speeds Achieved on an i3?
July 21, 2013 05:32PM
I'm just coming to the end of my first i3 build (just waiting on a new hot-end, so I can print the part needed to connect my other hot end...messy!) and my main goal is going to be to get performance as best as I possibly can.

IMO Its going to come down a lot to the structure as there's a lot of room for improvement. If you can get the frame a lot more stable, you should be able to push some good speeds. Right now mine shakes around like crazy if I do a print even with no extruder attached (so no real weight on the X axis). The biggest weakness will be getting the X and Y to stay stable. I'm thinking something a long the lines of some rubber dampers on all bolts, and something to better connect the X to Y. Ideally the Y needs two more supports under it, going along opposite corners to keep it square.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login