Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Mendel I2 Y axis

Posted by CS-137 
Prusa Mendel I2 Y axis
December 15, 2013 04:00AM
Hello everyone,

I just built my I2 and started calibrating it, when I tell the y axis to move 100 mm it only moves aboy 3.5 no matter the value set it marlin. The controller is a melzi. The x axis has been calibrated correctly. The y axis also won't move down more than about 15 mm from the limit switch.
Re: Prusa Mendel I2 Y axis
December 15, 2013 06:47AM
Check if the endstop is properly wired.
December 15, 2013 01:12PM
Checked the end stops not the problem though. It still doesnt want to go more than 10 mm down or up.
December 15, 2013 02:06PM
I'd bet something is slipping. The set screws on the gears would be the first thing I would check.

1) The settings in Marlin should be done off of the physical construction of the printer. You have a gear / motor / belt combo that gets you to xxx steps / mm
2) The speeds in Marlin should be in the 100 to 500 range for X and Y, 2 or so for Z. Pronterface will let you fiddle with speeds.
3) What happens when you tell it to move:
a) The head moves continuously and stops
b) The head moves / stops and the motors keep going
c) The head moves and all the lights go out after a few mm
4) Does the Y axis move freely with no motor powered up?
5) Have you set the Vref voltages on your stepper drivers?
December 15, 2013 04:06PM
1) The settings in Marlin should be done off of the physical construction of the printer. You have a gear / motor / belt combo that gets you to xxx steps / mm

It that way for calbirated axes.

2) The speeds in Marlin should be in the 100 to 500 range for X and Y, 2 or so for Z. Pronterface will let you fiddle with speeds.

I don't think it would be the speed but I'll that anyway.

3) What happens when you tell it to move:

a) The head moves continuously and stops

b) The head moves / stops and the motors keep going

c) The head moves and all the lights go out after a few mm

D) None of the above. See video below.

[youtu.be]

4) Does the Y axis move freely with no motor powered up?

Yes it does.

5) Have you set the Vref voltages on your stepper drivers?

Yep. The Y is a little high currently due to more sporadic movement when its lower.
December 15, 2013 06:03PM
Are we talking about the Y axis or the Z axis motors? In your video you seem to be playing with the Z motors rather than the X or Y motors (Z is up and down, X is left and right, Y is front and back).

Do you have a spec sheet on your motors? If so:

How much current are they rated for?

How much torque are they rated for?

What is the rated voltage or winding resistance?

Are they 4 wire bipolar steppers or have you fiddled with (rewired) them?

You mention the drivers being at 180 degrees (hopefully F not C). Is that at the heatsink or somewhere else?
January 07, 2014 04:11PM
Sorry for the very late reply I went on vaccation to a place with out internet.

I don't have a spec sheet for them. I changed the axes to the proper driver mistake on my end wiring them wrong. I'm still running into the same issue as before and yes F on the heatsinks. I've changed out the melzi board to a new one (ripped off the SMD USB connector on the old one) so I'm starting all over again. They are also just normal 4 wire steppers.

EDIT: The issuse has been fixed. I wired the motors incorrectly the first time. hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 09:23AM by CS-137.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login