Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Circles Quality

Posted by Joberr 
Circles Quality
January 08, 2014 04:13PM
Hello to all

I just finished assembling my Prusa I3 and I am having quality problems when I print circles.

As you can see, in the image attached, I have small gaps (see the arrows in the image) and until now I could not solve this problem.
I think is the spacing between perimeter and infill but I do not know how to solve this problem.

What could be causing this problem?

I've followed these tutorials and apparently it's all right.

[forum.seemecnc.com] and

[reprap.org]% 27s_Calibration_Guide # E_Steps_Fine_Tuning

I am using Marlin firmware, Ramps and Repetier host.

Thank you
Attachments:
open | download - Circulo.JPG (254.5 KB)
Re: Circles Quality
January 08, 2014 06:10PM
Never ever rule out a slicing error. I'd check it with another slicer.

Are you running a heated bed? If so, how hot?

What kind of filament are you running?

How hot are you running your hot end?

How fast are you printing?

Are you printing a skirt? If not, I'd try it.
January 09, 2014 12:18PM
Hello Uncle Bob,

So far I only used the slic3r. I'll try another slicer to see what happens.

Yes, I am running a heated bed (MK2) and 3mm glass on it at 90C but I tried even at 110C and I have the same result.

I am using a 3mm filament. (Wade's Geared Extruder) Nozzle 0.4, retraction 1mm

For the hot end I tried temperatures between 220C to 235C with no significant variation, I have always the same "gaps".

Very slow.

Perimeter 20mm/s
infill 50mm/s
Solid infill 40mm/s
Top solid 30mm/s
First layer 30%

yes I am printing a skirt

Loop 2
Distance 6mm
Skirt heigh 1
minimum extrusion lenght 0

Thank you for your help
January 09, 2014 05:53PM
Try Cura instead of slic3r. You won't have those gaps.
January 10, 2014 03:20AM
It's not the slicer. This is a mechanical issue. Small backlash, tighten your belts a bit or slow down your print. It could also be play in your hotend mount. Try a print with 30mm/s for all settings after you have tighten up your belts and if that's good, then up the speed in steps of maybe 5mm/s. When you have a good compromise between speed and quality, then start playing with different speeds on permiter, fill and so on.

Edit: Maybe you also underextrude just a bit. You can see that when theres small gaps in your top layer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 03:22AM by Kenzu.
January 10, 2014 12:29PM
Hi,

@Jefhei uncle bob told me the same thing, I downloaded Kisslicer and Cura, I'm trying to find a good tutorial for these programs and I will test them on Saturday.

@Kenzu I had a felling that could be something mechanical like that or the axes orthogonality, but after measuring the axes right angles they were fine. The backlash I think it is not so easy to measure it. I even thought about it and did not do those measures.
Do you think if I increase the "multiplier" in slic3r I could eliminate the underextrude?
I'll try anyway.

Thank you.
January 10, 2014 08:00PM
Hi Joberr,
Had the same problem with my Prusa i3, circles was ellipses.

In my case, it was mechanics, the belt attachment under the bed was loose. I remember I was able to move the bed (slightly but surely), when firmly holding the belt.

Check this out!

Christian
January 11, 2014 11:26AM
Thank you Christian for the tip.

Problem solved, I tested the Kisslicer and Cura, in both slicers the problem did not show up, now I'll see if I can put those parameters in the slic3r. ( I like very much Slic3r )

An interesting thing, Cura printed twice faster than the Slicer and no problem at all, no gaps, no lines everythinh ok.

Thank you to all for the tips and suggestions. Now let´s go print smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login