Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sae prusa mendel which stl github files to use?

Posted by rrr7 
sae prusa mendel which stl github files to use?
June 28, 2012 06:00PM
rrr7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> due to some broken links at
> reprap.org/wiki/sae_prusa_mendel and mostly lack
> of user experience, i am having trouble finding
> which files in github are the most current for sae
> prusa mendel. a buddy at work who has agreed to
> do some prints for me has a makerbot, but no
> github experience either.
> i also have already purchased parts for metric
> greg/wade's geared extruder and plastic parts in work ,so i probably cannot use
> just all standard plates with extruder, i could use direction to individual parts.
> i found these directories there, but which if any
> are right?
>
> [github.com]
> pment/stl-sae
>
> [github.com]
> mental/stl-sae
>
> [github.com]
> ter
I am making a sae prusa mendel v1(i think), (no IM8UU) with bushing inserts. Also a greg-wade-accessible extruder v2+ guideler.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 02:24PM by rrr7.
Re: sae prusa mendel which stl github files to use?
June 29, 2012 09:11PM
The latest sources for the prusa in github don't distinguish between SAE and metric - instead, they are designed to work with either.

I suggest, however, that you avoid 5/16 smooth rod, and spend the extra couple of dollars on metric smooth rod - you'll appreciate why when you price 5/16 linear bearings vs 8mm linear bearings.
June 30, 2012 01:31PM
It is not that I cannot find any files in github, I find several sae prusa mendel directories.
but I am not sure which which are the best to use, or even if I have found them all.
I looked at github info and could not find adequate definition of how it is structured.
Thanks for the other suggestion but I already have 5/16 rods cut and am not planning on purchasing linear bearings.
I guess that you would call mine a sae prusa mendel v1-modified build (no IM8UU).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 01:36PM by rrr7.
July 07, 2012 02:10PM
Well, I just selected files myself, and hopefully they are a workable set:
These should be all the required plastic parts to get me up and running.

I saw a thread with recommendations for reprap rp parts to be printed at least using 3 surface layers, 15-20% infill for most parts and 30-50% infill for gears if anyone is printing parts for you.

Note there are extra files in the github directory specified below, some of which are combined parts plates and some are the wade extruder parts but I prefer the greg-wade variant parts (although I changed the extruder body hole diameter to 5/8" from 13mm). Also I believe they changed the repo to use greg-wade at some point). The most recent files in github for prusa is said to accomodate either metric or sae hardware according to spacexula, but also switches to ball bearing slides(im8uu) which drives up the cost. The im8uu also required extensive other part changes making them not suitable to use other PLA, PTFE or brass bushings, so I opted-out to a prior build.
I only need the parts and quantities listed below though. This model is an sae prusa mendel with pla bushings and a greg-wade-accessible-extruder with an idler w/ guide, sae belt gears and better z-couplings (less wobble and slip).

Qty name
Extruder parts:
1 gregs_accessible_wade-mendelparts_v6_mount-2 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8252 )
1 large_gear (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8252 )
1 small_gear (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8252 )
1 guidler (idler with a filament guide, [www.thingiverse.com])

Main frame: (except as noted below use only files from here [github.com] )
8 bar-clamp
4 frame-vertex-with-foot
2 frame-vertex
1 y-motor-bracket

Stages and moving parts:
2 coupling (actually the z-rod-coupling, [www.thingiverse.com])
3 endstop-holder
1 x-carriage
1 x-end-idler
1 x-end-motor
2 z-motor-mount
4 belt-clamp
2 rod-clamp
2 XL10t-pulley (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7454, use 2 thingiverse parts to replace 2 metric belt pulleys in SAE Prusa build list. They may have updated this in repo, but not sure when.)
12 PLA bushings (12 total, I think this file may have all 12)

If anyone is interested, I can let you know how the build went.
December 23, 2013 03:49PM
just wondering if you ever completed this build and how it went? up and running today? How did not using the linear bearings go?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login