Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aquarium hose instead of springs

Posted by nic0laz 
Aquarium hose instead of springs
September 03, 2012 09:47AM
Hi guys.

I was wondering if its possible to replace the heatbed and wade's accesible extruders springs with aquarium silicon hose.

Has anyone tried?.

Not the crystal clear hose (its too stiff), im thinking about the other one, that is softer.
Re: Aquarium hose instead of springs
September 04, 2012 04:27PM
Any material that is strong and springy will work. I've seen extruders done with rubber tubing before and it seems to work well.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 21, 2012 08:48PM
I use silicone tubing on the bed. Short pieces, about 3/8". Works fine.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
September 22, 2012 04:13AM
Typical aquarium hose is PVC and PVC looses it's springiness pretty quickly. Like in a month.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 24, 2012 05:31AM
Remember that your heated bed gets hot. (hence its name). What ever tubing you use must stand the heat which probably rules out everything except silicone.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
September 28, 2012 08:25PM
Are you looking at the Blue hose? That would work better than clear, but you have a limited distance you can use, and overall it would just be better to use springs and use them to the tighest setting you can while not flexing things to much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login