Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had enough with CubeX, looking for reprap migration confused smiley

Posted by duckfriedrice 
Had enough with CubeX, looking for reprap migration confused smiley
September 26, 2013 01:32PM
Yes, unfortunately I'm another unhappy customer of CubeX - 3D Systems

The filament cartridge is a rip off,
I have been using the cartridge hack method since first day of 3d printing (Cartridge plugged in & external bulk filament)

My mainboard of CubeX shorted a while ago, but managed to get it replaced and as usual,
have to wait for the parts to arrive for 2 months.

And guess what, the firmware has been updated from 1.03 to 1.07 ....
The above hacking method no longer works ....

My original cartridge with original filament inside is full
(coz have been using bulk filament since first day of printing).......

Anyway, the CubeX is saying that all my four cartridges are all almost empty when they are actually fully loaded.

I'm now looking for alternatives unless there is another hack available out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been browsing this site for few days, I love the idea of open source community.
I'm very new to reprap, but have been studying the Mendel Prusa i3 for these few days.
Since the CubeX also consist of similar parts
(i.e. stepper motors, controller, ramps, endstops with magnetic sensors etc)

I'm thinking if it is possible to get the electronic kit for Prusa i3,

and then migrate the whole set into my CubeX Duo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I'm going to get for the electronic parts

- Arduino Mega2560 x 1
- RAMP1.4 controllers x 1
- A4988 stepper drivers x 5
- Heat sinks for the drivers x 5
- 2004LCD monitor panel
- Ramps microSD module
- Ramps microSD ( in case I failed to figure out how to use the magnetic sensors)
- Heat Bed (Upgrade for existing CubeX Duo)

Will there be any catch somewhere in the process like,
there may be chance of altering settings or to white scripts in order to make this work etc

I'm not familiar with scripting and software settings for reprap,
hope that you guys can give me some advice.

P.S. If this migration doesn't work, I will just build a Prusa i3 instead.

Thanks Reprappers ! smiling smiley

Mega2560
Ramp1.4 Controller
Heat Sinks
2004LCD
Ramps microSD
Endstops
Heat Bed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 01:39PM by duckfriedrice.
Attachments:
open | download - T2Em.DXdpXXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (22.5 KB)
open | download - T2n93DXchXXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (84.5 KB)
open | download - T2NSgCXhBaXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (2.2 KB)
open | download - T2NyQCXX0aXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (45.9 KB)
open | download - T2oloCXgtaXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (70.4 KB)
open | download - T2oloCXgtaXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (70.4 KB)
open | download - T2sqENXdlXXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (42.8 KB)
open | download - T2whEMXk4XXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (66.6 KB)
open | download - T2y0kEXXRXXXXXXXXX_!!559183107.jpg (44.4 KB)
open | download - Rampswire14.pdf (81.5 KB)
Re: Had enough with CubeX, looking for reprap migration confused smiley
September 30, 2013 04:01PM
So your plan is to use the existing mechanicals of the CubeX and perform brain surgery on it? You will need some technical specs on the stepper motors (degrees per step, amperage, hopefully bipolar windings). I would assume the CubeX has endstops...are they mechanical switches, opto-interrupters, hall effect? What about the extruder motor, and what voltage is your hotend? Does the thermistor match the Epcos most reprappers use?

You will need to pick an opensource firmware (I like Marlin, I think Sprinter is still widely used too) and edit the configuration.h file to make sure it matches your hardware. The answers to the questions I asked above will be entered/updated in this file.
October 02, 2013 12:22PM
Hey Duck,
Can you keep us informed of your progress in converting? I'm in the same situation. I'd like to swap out the electronics on my CubeX Trio, too. The CubeX mechanism is really sturdy and precise, but the electronics are a nightmare of proprietary moose droppings. The Trio seems to be an even bigger problem because there are 7 stepper motors, total. There are three extruders, two Y axis steppers, and one stepper each on X and Z. I've looked for a board which supports 7 steppers natively, but can't find anything. I don't know enough about the electronics to modify a board or alter the firmware to support this configuration, either. Perhaps the two Y steppers can be driven by the same driver? I have no clue.

I keep hoping one of the super printer hackers on here will create a drop in replacement that I can just buy from them. smiling smiley I'd pay $500 (maybe more) for a plug and play open source electronics replacement with pre-configured Marlin firmware, so I could use Cura. I'm sure other CubeX owners would pay the same for that option.
October 02, 2013 12:39PM
You guys seen this thread: [forums.reprap.org] ? He is using [reprap.org] which has 6 outputs. Prusa Mendels do slave the two Z motors together on one channel so it does work, but can't say if it'll work on Cube mechanics not know how well they run.
October 02, 2013 01:10PM
Yeah, I had found that thread after posting in this one. It seems like there is a lot of interest in doing this, but people are struggling to get it to work. I wish I had the mad skillz some of the geniuses on here have. I'd take a stab at doing it myself. I just don't know enough to attempt it.

[Edit]
My apologies. I got to both of these threads by searching for CubeX in the forums. I just noticed they're both in the Mendel section, rather than the electronics section. Sorry I replied to threads which are in the wrong sections of the forum. Maybe somebody could move these threads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 01:14PM by BillDempsey.
October 02, 2013 05:30PM
Another option RUMBA

up to 6 motor driver with easy micro stepping setup (micro switches) which can be used for:
TRIPLE extruder
DUAL Z driver and DUAL extruder
5x temperature ADC connectors for thermistors:
e.g. 3x extruder thermistor + 1x heated bed thermistor + 1x chamber thermistor
5x PWM capable power mosfet outputs (3 with voltage selector for MainPower/12V):
e.g. 3x (MainPower) extruder heater cartridge/power resistor + 1x (12V) fan + 1x (12V) light
February 10, 2014 01:30PM
I'm in the same position and slowly piecing my kit together. I'm torn between modifying my existing Cubex Duo, or building a new printer from scratch. My main goal is to have a printer with a heated bed, which is quite the hassel with a CubeX unless you want to spend $850 for a stand alone solution. I just finished a RAMPs 1.4 / Mega bundle and I've used the Repetier configurator to create a custom firmware build , I verified it in the Arduino IDE, loaded it, and connected Repetier-Host. Seeing as how I just have the board and drivers connected with no thermistors, Repetier will only go into dry run but it seems the x,y, and z motors would work if they were connected.

One thing I've noticed is that RAMPs has outputs for 2 Z motors and Repetier can allow you to 're-label' or re-assign motor outputs. So I was thinking when you assign what board outputs go which motors in Repetier's Configurator, couldn't you label the Z's to actually run the 2 Y motors, and have the single Y output run the single Z motor in the Cubex? There's even an option for one of the dual motors to operate 'mirrored'. My next move is to start piggy-backing plugs to an extruder and hot end to start experimenting with settings so that I could still use my CubeX as-is while I make the switch.

Lastly, the CubeX stepper motors are NEMA 17's with a 23 for the Z axis. They're labeled on the motors, and the website with some documentation is www.motioncontrolproducts.com, and the X and Y motors are M42STH47-1684SC-S and the Z is M57STH51-3008DC-S. Both are 1.8 deg / step, but only the Z motor has a data sheet that I could find.

Other information I need is CubeX's hot-end spec's and thermistor types/tables and I'd like to have nozzle size.
March 11, 2014 09:08AM
Hey Duck,

We have a CubeX Duo here where I work. We haven't run out of filament yet, but there IS a way to use Firmware 1.07 and bypass the cartridge issue....

If you download KISSlicer, and then the CubeIt (Cube-it) patch (see CubeX forums on google), there are specific instructions on how to do it.

Judging by your pursuance of a reprap, I bet you've already heard of KISSlicer, but it's really a great solution to the Cubify junk software to give you more control in your part, raft, supports, etc... After you generate your slice with KISSlicer and convert it for the CubeX with CubeIt, you can access the G-code file and delete the lines which tell the printer to check the cartridges before printing.

I'm not sure how set you are on going for a reprap or if you already have (as you posted this in October of last year)...but it IS possible to have firmware 1.07 and bypass the cartridge check. KISSlicer is free (Pro version for only $45.00 for multi material) and CubeIt is also free.

Check them out!

Richard
September 29, 2014 03:54AM
Free? That's a laugh!

December 19, 2014 05:55PM
I've begun this as well. The information in this forum is quite useful. I've removed the cube's board, touchscreen panel, usb plug, cartridge filament chip sensors and locking latches, as well as the hotend and filament tensioning assembly mechanism. Check out these optical sensors that watch the extruder gear and filament tensioning wheel turn.

I've begun removing systems from my bukobot for transplant. I've prepared the connectors on my bukobot's Azteeg x3 controller board to accomidate the double y-axis motor design of the cube.

Researching compatibility of motors. Tried to remove left y motor and simply replace with bukobot's axis motors, but those cube's motors are stuck in there with cement or something. Screws not coming out. Need better tool or to learn that the motors are fine to use. Will my corded drill strip those screws?

Data sheet for Cube M42STH47-1684SC-S axis stepper motor? Sent email to www.motioncontrolproducts.com
Saw another user mentioned finding the Z axis motor data sheet. Can I get that?

Modifying x carriage assembly to accomidate bukobot hotend and extruder assembly.

Will need to lengthen ceramic cartidge heating wires, thermistor wires and motor cables. Does anyone know where I can get that red woven insulated wire for the heater cartidge wire lengthening?

Instagram hashtag:
#cubelobotomy
December 08, 2015 05:35AM
Bit late to the party but you might want to join the OpenBFB google group. Some people (me included) have converted BFB Rapman & bfb3000 printers to RepRap electronics. Since the CubeX shares tones of DNA with the bfb3000 (which shares DNA with the Rapman) there might be some useful info there for you.
September 28, 2018 02:54PM
Hey did any of you guys finally converted your CubeX to Merlin?
September 29, 2018 02:56AM
Cleme_o
Hey did any of you guys finally converted your CubeX to Merlin?

Indeed, the Rolls Royce Merlin engine was one of the very best but time flies you know, we are in the jet era. Its like for 3D printers and forum, time flies smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login