Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Testing Motorsangry smiley Ramps1.3 Arduino Mega

Posted by Justinjjhcs1 
RepRap Testing Motorsangry smiley Ramps1.3 Arduino Mega
November 26, 2012 11:45AM
Having so Much Trouble. The Build of the Physical Frame went well, but in testing the Electronics I have run into a snag. No matter How I twiddle the Power I cannot get the Motors to run.
Sprinter.h is installed. Set for Ramps 1.3/1.4 and I did not touch Anything else...
do you Delete all the Info in the "//.." or is it OK to leave it?
I have touched no part of the script. It sould still run right?
what am I doing wrong???eye popping smiley
Or was my Ramps assembled correctly or have I some how Burned it out?? though I cant see how Yesterday was the First time I hooked it up to power from my ATX power supply. Followed the wireing off the Website to the LETTER and Labled everything to make sure I wired it right and also Omes tested the Coils of the Motors they are 1.1 Omes.
Do I need to change the Pin settings in Sprinter.
Or do I need to change more of the Script in Sprinter Configuration.h to get the shield to run.
Re: RepRap Testing Motorsangry smiley Ramps1.3 Arduino Mega
November 26, 2012 12:49PM
I assume you managed to compile and upload the firmware?
November 27, 2012 01:33AM
I used the Arduino Uploader to install the Scripting.. I know what Compileing a Program means but when you first use a New Arduino Mega do you have to install a Boot Loader too?? and then Burn it in?
I thought you Only Compiled to save Memory space...so Without compileing the Script the Arduino Mega Cannot use it?? Or how dose that work?.
I cannot get Anything but ReplicatorG to run on my System I have serpentine and slicer no Run-it maybe this is why there is no Responce... Can you give me a List of Programs that need to be installed in the PC for XP Home SP3 And Mac OS 10.5.8 I tryed following the Youtube Instructions but I think you need to be familiar with the Software and Know how and where to paste the Plugins into Serpintine.
Have some suggestions for a None Programmer?
Shouldn't have to install a bootloader, but you would have to compile and load the firmware as mentioned by jbernardis. I'm using Arduino v0023, Sprinter firmware, Pronterface, and Slic3r for software, but there are alternatives for each. To test the motors, you'll need the first 3 software packages installed. Open up the Arduino software, load up the Sprinter.pde file for firmware package...adjust settings for motherboard and leave the rest for now. Make sure your USB is plugged in, verify and upload in the Arduino software to your Mega. Now, open up Pronterface, ensure the correct baud rate is set (usually either 115600 or 256000?...or at least something close to those numbers) and connect to your board. Once connected, you should be able to click on the + and - buttons for each axis and see if the motors move. If you don't hear any noises to the motors, confirm your 12V/5A connection to the RAMPS board and make sure they are getting the juice they need to move.

Hope that helps you get started on the troubleshooting.

Justinjjhcs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used the Arduino Uploader to install the
> Scripting.. I know what Compileing a Program means
> but when you first use a New Arduino Mega do you
> have to install a Boot Loader too?? and then Burn
> it in?
> I thought you Only Compiled to save Memory
> space...so Without compileing the Script the
> Arduino Mega Cannot use it?? Or how dose that
> work?.
> I cannot get Anything but ReplicatorG to run on my
> System I have serpentine and slicer no Run-it
> maybe this is why there is no Responce... Can you
> give me a List of Programs that need to be
> installed in the PC for XP Home SP3 And Mac OS
> 10.5.8 I tryed following the Youtube Instructions
> but I think you need to be familiar with the
> Software and Know how and where to paste the
> Plugins into Serpintine.
> Have some suggestions for a None Programmer?
December 05, 2012 09:16AM
I saw some experts last night and we found not the right VDC 5VDC and not 12VDC just started moving then.eye rolling smiley
December 09, 2012 09:55PM
I'm in the process as well and this is what I did and used. I have the Arduino mega 2560/Ramps 1.4 I downloaded Marlin, Arduino software, Ramps test file, compiled version of Pronterface that comes with Slicer.

Setup the Arduino drivers using the software
Used a 12v 1A wall wart power supply to test.
Brought the Ramps test file into Arduino, compiled/ uploaded and got one motor to test.

Then i hooked up everything to my printer, brought the marlin file into Arduino, changed a couple things in the configuration.h file
compiled and uploaded into the arduino and opened up Pronterface. Hit connect and boom, I was rockin n rollin. Was able to test out all the motors one at a time but thats about it because I am waiting for my power supply I ordered to show up as the hot end is coming as well.

Set it up on Win 7 64 bit system no problems and xp sp2 system that will actually be the mule for the printer.

Had to choose which board to use in the configuration.h file
December 14, 2012 09:53AM
have any body have a link for the firmware(software) for ardino. I'm new on this and need to get this printer running Thank you.
December 14, 2012 11:15AM
Justinjjhcs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw some experts last night and we found not the
> right VDC 5VDC and not 12VDC just started moving
> then.eye rolling smiley
I also found that my end stops where plugged into the wrong terminals there is a MinX and a MAX X and a Min Y and a Max Y and a MIn Z and a MAX Z on my RAMPS 1.4
Also and this is critical your Nozzle cannot be closer to your build surface then your Nozzle Diameter mine is 0.35mm any closer and you will clog your Nozzle. also install ALL 6 of your End-stops it will save you headache and stripped Belts.
December 14, 2012 11:15AM
you need a Max 20 Amp power supply a 1Amp will do but you will burn it out quicker and your Hole unit will over heat dew to resistance try to get an 11Amp Supply that is the Maximum the Heaters will draw. I have been told by engineers to over supply just a Bit. my current supply is Just adequate 250Watt 12Vdc 20Amp ATX.
Remember you can Stove cook your heater core too but it is a good Idea to allow the cement to cure at room temp for a Day after the three hour period between applications Otherwise you will get Voids in the cement and you hot end will take forever to heat up like mine did... J Heads are easyer to make and install but the Power resistors burn out quicker. and they use more juice and your unit is only rated for 11 Amps MAX but to be fair calculating it is actually 16 to 20 amps Min for having all the Fans and Heaters running at once I have found that printing my Supply is Barely adequate you might want to spring for a 25 to 30 just to be safe.
December 16, 2012 12:10PM
can I ask where did you get the firmware I try loading the firmware and have not got any luck.

I have every thing connected and have not got any motor to run I try the windows vist and now I'm trying the window xp and have not got any luck on any of them (I downloing the software from arduino website ) hope you guys can help Thank you for all help I receive.

My set is the same as yours Thanks.
December 17, 2012 02:07AM
How is your Ramps Board connected and do you Only have one side connected?? side closes to the Arduino power connector has the 12VDC 11Amp and 5 Amp 5Amp is the Motors and 11Amp are the Heaters and Bridge Fan Make SURE YOU HOOK THEM UP RIGHT you can Fry your Board if you reverse them.
Use 18 gauge automotive Wire for the Supply and 16 Gauge from Heat Bed to Ramps 12DCV ONLY!!!
Make sure if you have Mechanical endstops hook them up between S and - never + and - you will have a short then.
also the Pins are as Follows (looking at the Board from supply,Heater and fan connectors on the Left to right) X high low Y High low Z High low . Defaults are Reversed endstops are on motor side for Z and Opposed of Motor for X and Y

[github.com]

See Links on this Page Scroll down and you will see a Windows Links Install them in the order they say you sould get your Motors Working also Make sure you have your Motors Wired correctly if you cross connect the Motors and try to run them you will rune them also if you just try 1.5V DC without a controller you will rune them.

FirmWare Scripting Note Backup your Sprinter FOlder that way if you Eff up you can just Reload a Backup also keep the RER / Zip File for ferther protection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 12:24AM by Justinjjhcs1.
December 23, 2012 05:25PM
Thank you justinjjhcs1 for the info. Where to get firmware(software).
April 05, 2013 10:36AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login