Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 or PrusaAir2

Posted by patlink72 
Prusa i3 or PrusaAir2
December 22, 2012 06:21PM
Hi
I am new to the forum and interested in build my own 3D printer.. I have access to a lasercutter at work and at DoES Liverpool a 3D printer to make parts.

Please could have some input pros and cons comparing both models

any links to blog's, site etc with files, were to source parts ...................

find me on twitter via my user name

thanks
pat
Re: Prusa i3 or PrusaAir2
December 24, 2012 04:40AM
I reckon Prusa i3 will get you printing sooner and faster. You can cut your frame out of aluminium and get your parts 3d printed out. You can get required files from github: [github.com]

There is not much written documentation at the moment about Prusa i3. But having built one, I'd say you can likely do the same if you Google a bit.

Prusa i3 is also easier to put away in a small form factor (the two parts of their inverted T shape can easily separated to form a flat package, easier to store or to carry around. The frame also seems to support higher printing speeds.
December 24, 2012 05:55AM
Thanks misan

so a i3 it will be now
found you blog and the youtube video for ikilledkenny
I dont have any access to cutting Alu only by hand. so might go with birchply wood design or even acrylic but not sure how acrylic stand up to many stresses
December 24, 2012 06:12AM
Sorry, I thought you cut laser-cut Alu.

These guys are selling a wooden frame: [shop.seemecnc.com]

And this others made their own mash up: [www.ebay.com]

But you could also go the Mendel90 route: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com.es]
December 24, 2012 06:26AM
So what i3 v Mendel90 any ideas?
December 24, 2012 06:33AM
If you want a kit, go Mendel90. If you want good documentation, go Mendel90. If you want "designed in the UK" go Mendel90.

I just do not have any experience with Mendel90 as my last build was a Prusa i3, which I am happy with too (and so is my wife as I can put it away easily).

My advice is that you keep on reading about what is available till you figure out what might be best for you. You mentioned earlier PrusaAir and I guess Printrbot LC might also be mentioned to add a bit more choices :-)
December 24, 2012 06:44AM
I would like to build the best printer for the least amount of money real. I am a Design and technology teacher and would like my students eventually to build their own printers.
the electronics that i play around with are these http://shrimping.it/blog/
December 24, 2012 07:09AM
As you can laser cut birch and 3D print plastic parts, you can build any of the four printers mentioned above: PrusaAir, Prusa i3, Mendel 90 and Printrbot LC.

I'd say the cheapest one (provided you can cut for free) would be the Printrbot LC.

Printrbot or Wallace require more plastic parts but fewer laser cut ones (only the bed holder).

The Mendel90 having the strongest frame I would say is the one that might give you the best print quality.

Motors, studding and electronics will go for around 200 pounds though. So it won't be cheap even if you can source some of the parts yourself.
December 24, 2012 07:23AM
the Mendel90 seems to be the closest option so far. As for electronics I am seeing how much of it I could make myself.
Shame that I can't source the motors for old electronics product.
Do would if I could make a smaller printer using just free sourced parts and home made parts. To demonstrate to pupils the world of re-engineering
April 06, 2013 08:11AM
patlink72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Mendel90 seems to be the closest option so
> far. As for electronics I am seeing how much of it
> I could make myself.
> Shame that I can't source the motors for old
> electronics product.
> Do would if I could make a smaller printer using
> just free sourced parts and home made parts. To
> demonstrate to pupils the world of re-engineering

If you want to use recycled parts you can. Make a wolfstrap.
It is made from timber, drawer rails etc.
My first printer (wolfstrap) I made from scrap, including hot end and extruder.
Used it to make parts for my own designed printer...which I now have used to make parts for my first Prusa i3.
BUT it is a lot of work and tinkering.
I really like Prusa's i3 design for simplicity but have not seen any prints up close yet so can't comment on print quality and print speed, but I assume it will be as good as any other printer out there.

Cheers
Jan

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
April 06, 2013 09:23PM
This is not a Prusa Air2, but the idea of the design was based on that machine. www.regpye.com.au
It may give you some ideas on how to go about building a solid and well sized machine using a few different approaches to parts and assembly.

Cheers
Reg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login