Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

possible Slic3r problem im having

Posted by JT 
JT
possible Slic3r problem im having
March 23, 2013 04:52PM
My printer is an own built machine
I have a sanguino running sprinter firmware and im using Pronterface as a front end.

I can print perfect hollow shapes (calibration STL files) both cylinders and squares.
when i run the 20mm solid box if prints the first 5 Z layres perfectly but when it fills the 5th layre it jumps about 10mm to the right and starts to print the shape from there, then another layre or so it jumps again sometimes left sometimes right.

the x and y axes appear to be ok and the fact it prints hollow parts ok leads me to think its the way the Gcode is being interperited.

Ive google searched the planet for anything that might answer the question - but have not had any luck.

any advice/help will be very much appreciated.
Re: possible Slic3r problem im having
March 24, 2013 01:18PM
Every time I've had that occur, it was insufficient stepper current. So tweak the pot on the driver to increase the current a bit for that axis.

To make sure it's not the gcode, in pronterface, click on the grid and use [alt]+[up arrow] & [alt]+[down arrow] to view the layers.
JT
March 27, 2013 03:33PM
I have added the file i have been working with.
The layers looked ok in the viewer but when i when to print the part the two end shoulders were printed next to each other.
i downloaded a G code viewer last night and it showed the part as it should be.

i have turned the pololu for the X axis up from 0.33 to 0.9 and so far no change.

The problem seems to go across the bed and not from rear to front - so i have convinced myself its the x axis
if you would like to try and print the part and let me know it would be much appreciated.

jtmarineservices@gmail.com
Attachments:
open | download - New Fluxgate.STL (81.2 KB)
March 27, 2013 10:44PM
This sounds like a classic loss of steps. If your certain about the current output from your stepper drivers, make sure your belts are sufficiently tensioned, and that your pulley grub screws are tightened. I've experienced all three of these issues.
JT
March 29, 2013 08:12AM
Hi all,
im not convinced the problem is mechanical.
i am pretty sure its the STL files.
if i load certain examples from the web they print (not all) if i create my own design in Autocad 2006 and use sketchup to convert it to 3ds then use netfabb (basic pc version) to create fixed STL
i still get miss prints - infact the design aboce takes forever to slice in slic3r.

Is there a basic tried and tested method of creating a drawing in solidworks/autocad or any solution of converting a part/solid dwg into an STL.

i would be interested to hear from somebody who tries my attachment above and can pin point the issue OR prove their is nothing wrong with the file.

your help would be much appreciated
JT
April 06, 2013 05:44AM
ok quick update,
it is the stl files or at least was.

I discovered that the solidworks script has spaces and slicer likes commas between coordinates
so i manually fixed the file.
and guess what - it still prints garbage.

I am desperate for someones help to move on from this issue
i cant print my own models only the Reprap calibration stl files, my files just print all over the place.
i have ruled out mechanical issues - it prints the calibration pieces
if i open my stl files in blender etc they look perfect and exactly how they should look

please please please help me im going nuts and managed to destroy half my house in a fit of rage.

the file i desperately want is in the thread above
cheers
Jason
Attachments:
open | download - former.stl (530.2 KB)
April 06, 2013 12:55PM
STL files have spaces between coordinates, I don't understand why you say slic3r likes commas, it works with spaces.

Your file looks fine and slices correctly with Skeinforge.

Have you tried looking at the gcode with with a host program? Does it look sensible? Perhaps your speed or acceleration is too high for your motors to keep up except with simple shapes.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
JT
April 06, 2013 03:55PM
Hi nophead,

i know better than to try and convince you that it needs commas. you are someone i respect as a guru when it comes to 3D printing
i did a search on Google for a method of converting solid works stl to work on reprap (3D printers)
and unfortunately i was suckered in to a false truth.
I have had a little success this afternoon on getting my part to print, its now starting to print in the right place even though it throws the odd wobbly.

my speed is set at 35mm/min but funnily i had better results 30 mins ago when it was at 45mm/min.

I am now converted all those people out there who have mentioned check voltage/belts etc are bang on the money.
I now have the task of setting up a pololu between 0.390 mV and 0.400 mV to get anything like a part printed.
Its damn hard getting the cheapy pot adjusted with any sort of accuracy and then the damn machine gets hot and its all up in the air again.

Thanks for proofing the file for me at least i now know the STL files i create are not the problem.

J.

I have attached a picture of my printer politely called Jasons LetRip printer because its arse.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0151.jpg (97.1 KB)
April 09, 2013 06:51AM
When you create STL file with SolidWorks, you should always run it through netfabb. Slic3r does not like scientific notation, so exporting the STL again in netfabb makes the model compatible with Slic3r.
I had exactly the same problem, with exactly the same test shape.

It was resolved by pointing a small desk fan at the stepper drivers. The problem was overheating.
The small heat sinks just don't do the job without assist from moving air.
April 29, 2013 02:04PM
bit late on the scene i guess but here goes

Solid works can "save as" an STL file so can autodesk inventor

Sketchup has a free import / export plugin
[www.mastersketchup.com]

ive used all 3 of the above without problems with the exception of the sketchup exporter doesn't like it when you change the save as name
leave that alone when exporting and you,re fine ( you can always change its name later no problem.

Good luck

JT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
> im not convinced the problem is mechanical.
> i am pretty sure its the STL files.
> if i load certain examples from the web they print
> (not all) if i create my own design in Autocad
> 2006 and use sketchup to convert it to 3ds then
> use netfabb (basic pc version) to create fixed STL
>
> i still get miss prints - infact the design aboce
> takes forever to slice in slic3r.
>
> Is there a basic tried and tested method of
> creating a drawing in solidworks/autocad or any
> solution of converting a part/solid dwg into an
> STL.
>
> i would be interested to hear from somebody who
> tries my attachment above and can pin point the
> issue OR prove their is nothing wrong with the
> file.
>
> your help would be much appreciated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login