Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

makerfarm v2 linear or 8" i3?

Posted by jackal24 
makerfarm v2 linear or 8" i3?
May 13, 2013 08:55PM
Looking at the kits available on MakerFarm. The 'v2 linear prusa' and the 'prusa 8" i3' kits are basically the same price. What are the advantages of one over the other?
Re: makerfarm v2 linear or 8" i3?
May 14, 2013 06:12AM
i'd go for it i3 the other is threaded rods and bolts vibrations things come loose...........
May 14, 2013 11:44AM
Also less parts on an i3 and the frames take less time to build and square. The 8" also has a larger build envelope compared to the traditional i2 and i3.
May 14, 2013 07:43PM
I ordered a V1 linear Prusa kit from Makerfarm last year (and subsequently printed and built a V2 Prusa with linear bearings). All in all, they were good printers. But they were kind of a pain to transport and there were some ripples in the prints when I tried printing faster that I interpreted as being due to the frame resonating.

The Makerfarm Prusa i3 looks like a much better design in terms of portability, rigidity, ease of assembly (and more importantly ease of disassembly for repairs), and the ability to print from an SD card instead of a host computer over a USB connection. Anyway, I just ordered an i3 kit from Makerfarm over the weekend.
May 15, 2013 05:55AM
you sure that the makerfarm 8" is bigger build envelope than the original i3 as i make makerfarm the sizes at 203.2 x 203.2 x 184.15 and the original is 200 x 200 x 200 for the single plate version
May 16, 2013 01:20AM
chris33 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you sure that the makerfarm 8" is bigger build
> envelope than the original i3 as i make makerfarm
> the sizes at 203.2 x 203.2 x 184.15 and the
> original is 200 x 200 x 200 for the single plate
> version

Good catch. For whatever reason I was thinking 200 mm was 6"...
May 16, 2013 08:26PM
I bought my first printer from Makerfarm and I was impressed with the quality of all the parts and how well it went together. At that time the I3 hadn't come out but if it is as well made as their V2 Prusa kit then it is the better printer. One of the things I liked about the Makerfarm stuff was the quality of the build instructions plus the fact that it worked first time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
May 18, 2013 03:41PM
Ive just ordered the i3 8" kit last week. Delivery is this week but Just from communication I think MF is stellar. I had a question for the wife about shipping and Colin replied back with a clear explanation of the goings on (wasnt his fault the wife is impatient) in 10 minutes time. MF has business hours posted and while Im certain that is effective for a call he will jump all over email almost instantly to help support his customers.

Much like any large investment of this nature you always have some doubts but to be honest I havent gotten the device/kit yet and feel completely comfortable and at ease with both the store and device choices.

S.Machado
June 03, 2013 03:32AM
hey harsh reallity did you get yours in yet i just ordered mine a couple days ago and i had the same experience with the fast response im supeer stoked
I bought a 6" from maker farm a few weeks back. Excellent customer service, and the machine is working as expected. My only issue is no fan mount, so I've been using a room fan for pla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login