Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob question about prusa i3 parts

Posted by Seanisonfire 
Noob question about prusa i3 parts
May 20, 2013 06:05PM
I'm building an i3 with my friend who recently bought a commercial printer. We're both fairly capable and tech savvy, but I'm trying to buy mostly kits so I know I don't miss anything on my first build. He's going to print the plastic set, but I'm curious if I have compiled everything else I need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frame and motors - [www.ebay.com]

Ramps - [ultimachine.com]

Hot end - [ultimachine.com]

Heated Bed - [ultimachine.com]

PSU - [www.amazon.com]

Does that all look fairly straight forward, or am I making any glaring errors. Again, thanks for anyone that even looks.
Re: Noob question about prusa i3 parts
May 20, 2013 08:09PM
I'd recommend getting the mechanical endstops option with the ramps board ( rather than the optical ones)

and you might want to consider some alu Z couplings. Z couplings
Check they fit the out put shafts of your stepper motors

Id also recommend sourcing some good quality silicone cable to power your heated bed ( and double check the ramps kit includes the connectors)
A good source for cable is your local RC ( remote control) hobby shop. With the RC world now using high power lithium polymer batteries most RC shops stock red/black silicone cable in various gauges

Enjoy your build

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 08:21PM by bigfilsing.
May 21, 2013 02:17AM
hi
Am a ramps 1.3 " DIY kit "fan, my biggest problem with Rambo board if you lose," destroy" one off the stepper driver the whole board is useless UNLES you A smd solder savvy. As for the frame you cant go wrong with that supplier I use him when ever possible,

not knowing which part of the woods you live in [www.emakershop.com] maybe helpful.

have fun.l

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 02:36AM by jinx.
May 21, 2013 03:48AM
Just to add what Jinx said, the board in the link is a RAMBO and not a RAMPS. It uses the same processor family but has a different form factor.

As for Z couplers, if you are building an i3 the Z drive rods are M5. All of the couplers I've seen from printer suppliers are for 5mm motor shaft to 8 mm (or 5/16") rod. I was looking over the weekend to replace the tubing I'm using on my i3. I haven't yet found couplers but I'm sure they're out there if not in a Reprap application perhaps another machinery provider. I've considered printing a 5 mm to 5 mm coupler but just haven't gotten around to designing one or even looking for something online. I use printed couplers on my i2s and they've worked well. When I get some time in the next day or so I'll troll through the usual suspects on the Pacific Rim and see if anyone over there has something.

Edit: That was quick, several on Aliexpress including one of my bearing guys. You can get near anything in Guangdong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 04:07AM by vegasloki.
May 21, 2013 04:00AM
didnt realise the M5 Z drive rod ...apologies

heres some printable ones from thingy verse ( maybe get your mate to print you some)
prusa i3 Z coupling

good luck
May 21, 2013 05:36AM
here's a link to 5mm coupling [www.ebay.co.uk]
May 21, 2013 04:02PM
Thanks for all the quick replies. Im in America, so i ended up looking around some more and sourcing closer to home. Something about giving the postal service 150 dollars didnt sit well with me. As for couplings, i'll look at printing them up, thanks for the tip. Am i correct in thinking the rambo is all preassembled with drivers and any electronics id need? The goal was to do zero soldering. I guess if i break it i'll learn to solder too, no big deal. Thanks again for the help. I'll be back with updates when i have them (and surely questions).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login