Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa mendel stop while printing

Posted by hugo411 
prusa mendel stop while printing
June 03, 2013 12:01AM
Hi, i got a prusa mendel i2 from makerfarm.com and sometimes the printer stop printing for nothing... any ideas?
The baud rate i use for communication is 115200, i am using pronterface.

Thanks
Re: prusa mendel stop while printing
June 03, 2013 10:51AM
first guess would be your computer is going into power save / hibernate mode. I had this problem once with an old lap top
June 03, 2013 11:08AM
Also disable auto updates, disable sleep mode, backups, scans
Happened to me enough times I bought the Panelolu2, best thing I've done in ages

Please support W.Afate 3D printer project in Togo at [www.ulule.com]
June 03, 2013 06:00PM
Same issue.

I ended up buying a few 6 ft usb cables and a powered usb hub. Never stops now.
June 10, 2013 05:34PM
This is going to sound crazy, but it's repeatable. I've got a paper shredder plugged into an outlet on the same circuit into which my RepRap's ATX power supply is plugged. If I use the shredder during a print, the print immediately hangs and does not restart.
June 11, 2013 12:53AM
That's not crazy. Its not at all strange for a nearby motor or fluorescent light to kill a USB connection. Sometimes a ferrite choke on the cable can help, but the best solution is to separate the printer from the offending appliance.
June 11, 2013 10:18AM
As everyone else said its most likely the PC, if its a laptop make sure you are not in the "Balanced or Power Save" scheme these will put your computer into standby after 20min, in vista or above you can click on the battery icon and then choose high performance, that will prevent you from going into standby, make sure your AC cord is plugged in. If its a desktop or even still a laptop, make sure the computer is fast enough to send the printer commands. If you have a lot of programs running in the background close them out. Last option would be to print off an SD card

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 10:21AM by Jc61990.

-------
Makerfarm Prusa 10" i3V | Ramps 1.4 | Pololu A4988 | Hexagon | Marlin 1.0.2 | Autolevel
Printrbot Simple Maker 1405 - Sold
RepRap Prusa i2 - Decommissioned
June 11, 2013 02:23PM
Based on what you said about the paper shredder, I would bet with almost 100% certainty that it's interference on the USB line. I had this exact problem with fluorescent lights. I would leave the room and turn out the lights, and the printer would stop immediately and everything had to be restarted.

I made my USB connections shorter, user higher quality cable, and added ferrite chokes, and I haven't had a problem since.
June 11, 2013 03:35PM
Thanks, jbernardis. I occasionally have my printer stop for other obvious USB-related reasons, and I don't have the EE experience to know what to do about it. I know it's a USB issue because I can no longer disconnect/connect to my printer, and the python errors make it clear why. It works again if I unplug the USB for 10 seconds, and then put it back. With your help and a quick couple of web searches, I see that a ferrite choke is available to me at a radio shack not very far from where I'm sitting. I'll give that a whirl soon.

(Apologies for this, but it might be interference-related, too: does anyone have an answer to my odd "Heated Bed Won't Start Without Hotend Being On" issue over in the Electronics section?)

Thanks again!
June 23, 2013 03:34PM
Just a quick update over here. A ferrite choke on its own was not enough to end my problem with my printer freezing. But a new, shorter cable, onto which I placed the choke for good measure, has now rectified the problem. I can shred documents to my heart's content while printing is going on. Thanks for the suggestion, jbernadris!
June 30, 2013 11:06AM
hey, thanks for response, what you mean by ferrite choke and where can i know if the usb cable is high quality, thx
June 30, 2013 11:09AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login