Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax - why self-tapping screws?

Posted by carl67lp 
MendelMax - why self-tapping screws?
June 10, 2013 07:32AM
The extrusions and rods for my MendelMax arrived last week, and I gave them to my cousin's husband to do the tapping and cutting. I've also got plenty of M5 fittings to put the thing together...but what I don't yet have is the self-tapping screws for the diagonal extrusions (I forgot to order them).

That got me to thinking: Why is it that the design calls for self-tapping screws in those ends, rather than just tapping the extrusion normally and using a similar-head screw? Is there a reason to do it this way that I'm completely missing?

My local hardware store doesn't sell the proper size screw, which means I'd have to order from McMaster-Carr...and that means I'd end up with way more screws than I need.

Are there alternatives?
Re: MendelMax - why self-tapping screws?
June 11, 2013 01:13PM
Having just placed the self tapping screws in the top of the frame this weekend on my MendelMax 1.5 I will forward that this is done because you tightening these screws blind and are not seen after installed. You could always tap the extrusion ends and use a thin head bolt.

In fact I had to get a star bolt hex set (from Advance Auto $6.49) that had a long, thin shaft to make in thru the hole in the top extrusion piece.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login