Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Mendel I3 Y-Axis Rods

Posted by darryn 
Prusa Mendel I3 Y-Axis Rods
June 23, 2013 03:40PM
Hi All.

Can someone please tell me if the long threaded 400mm rods for the Y-axis on the I3 are M8 or M10?

I am putting together a BOM and am confused as to which rods these should be.

TIA
Darryn
Re: Prusa Mendel I3 Y-Axis Rods
June 23, 2013 04:09PM
I forgot to mention that I am looking at the boxed frame version, if that makes any difference.

TIA
June 23, 2013 09:28PM
The box frame Y rods are longer than the single plate rods. I see M10 being used. Have you looked for a BOM in the Wiki? There is a fair amount of info on the box frame i3.

[reprap.org] Prusa's Github is accurate as well with Kliment's additions.
June 24, 2013 08:05AM
Yes, long Y-threaded is M10

You might want to check configuration.scad.dist (at the end of file) on the git hub for the smooth rod lengths, they differ from the wiki.

z- smooth is right

x-smooth is 14mm shorter on the wiki

y-smooth is 100mm shorter on the wiki ?

Not sure why yet, only noticed in last day or 2 and have had no time to look into it.
June 24, 2013 03:58PM
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I ask is that in the wiki build manual is says "2x 400mm M10 threaded rod", but in the build thread at http://78.47.92.212/i3_documentation_pics/04-yaxis.md.html it shows using M8 washers and nuts on these long threaded rods.

So I am not sure which rods to use.

TIA
June 24, 2013 04:27PM
Think M10 is the default now ,design is still undergoing improvement, hence the difference to the pictorial build guide you linked to. Why they needed the added strength of M10, I'm not sure.

If you do go for M8, make sure you ask the person who prints your parts to alter the configuration.scad to M8, otherwise you get Y-Corners and frame base clamps for M10.

Personally I'd stick with the M10.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 04:41PM by Masnachu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login