Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax wired up, but X carriage binds up at the ends

Posted by carl67lp 
MendelMax wired up, but X carriage binds up at the ends
August 20, 2013 08:54AM
Last night was exciting--I finally got my MendelMax wired up and plugged in, and the firmware loaded up. After a couple of false starts (mainly due to the motors being plugged in backwards, and the Z motors being plugged in opposite to each other), I was able to verify that all of the linear motion was working as expected.

With one caveat.

Here's my X axis setup:

X carriage: [www.thingiverse.com]
X ends: [www.thingiverse.com]

The carriage seems to move fairly well for about 80% of the length of the rods, but when I get to either end of the travel, the whole thing binds up and I can't move it by hand. When the motor engages at that position, it fails to move the carriage as well, with a horrible racket to boot.

I used my digital caliper to verify that the distance between the 8mm rods was consistent, or at least as close as I could get to an accurate measurement with the X belt in the way. It seems very odd to me that I'd be getting binding like this just on the ends.

Before I rip the entire X axis apart, is there something obvious that I might be missing? This is the last piece of the puzzle before I actually put filament in the thing, and I want to make sure I don't destroy my stepper motors.
Re: MendelMax wired up, but X carriage binds up at the ends
August 20, 2013 09:26PM
Seems I solved my own problem. The igus pillow bearings weren't quite lined up, so I loosened them, slid the carriage back and forth a few times end to end to straighten them out, and tightened them back up a bit. No more movement issues!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login