Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which CAD program? Autocad frame DXF

Posted by proticus 
Which CAD program? Autocad frame DXF
August 22, 2013 07:08AM
I'm new to all of this, so please forgive me if I ask a stupid question. I tried searching for the term dxf and stl and didn't know how else to search for the answer to my question.

What CAD/CAM program do I need to view the dxf file for the i3 frame? I've tried opening these dxf's:

[github.com]
[github.com]

with both DWG Trueview and Mastercam X6 and neither see any geometry. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just a regular old dimensioned drawing.

David

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 07:26AM by proticus.
Re: Which CAD program?
August 22, 2013 09:47AM
Hi David

I cant open them in Autocad 2007 either ...must be something going on

Just thought i d let you know its probably not you

Good luck

Phil
August 22, 2013 11:01AM
If I could somehow get ahold of a normal dxf, iges, or step file, something that can be opened by mastercam, that would be awesome. I'm completely lost on the openscad stuff. I can't even get openscad to compile scad files from the links I posted previously. I read somewhere that FreeCad can be used to convert a scad file to something usable, but the frame files aren't in scad. They are only posted as pdf, eps, or dxf. The dxf wont open in anything I've got, mastercam shows an error when trying to open the eps file (something about compatability), and the pdf sure looks nice, but is completely useless.....well....I suppose it COULD be usable. If someone gave me one known dimension from the final part. hmmmmmm.......ok....

If someone could look at the pdf for the frame, in the upper left corner there is a hole. Tell me the EXACT diameter of that hole and I'll be good to go. And maybe a second dimension just to be safe. The width of the frame would be great.

So two dimensions. That upper left hand hole, and the width of the frame. If someone could get me those exact numbers, I should be able to post a usable dxf of the frame later today.
August 22, 2013 12:40PM
first thing that comes to mind is the prusa Air 2 . I know for a fact that those DXF files work

Good luck
August 22, 2013 04:32PM
Unfortunately the Air 2 does not use the same frame as the i3.

Ok, I've made some progress in converting the pdf to a dxf, but I'm hung up on one little thing. Maybe it's supposed to be this way, I don't even know what's supposed to attach to it. It could also be caused by the pdf to dxf conversion, though all of the other geometry seems to be exactly the correct size and location.

The holes to the left and right of these slots are half a millimeter off of center. Are they supposed to be centered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 05:04PM by proticus.
Attachments:
open | download - off center.JPG (28.4 KB)
Re: Which CAD program? -- i3 frame question --
August 22, 2013 05:01PM
I've found that sometimes getting dxf from github to be problematic. The dxf format is text and depending on how you download it and to what platform it could be grabled. What I do is view the raw source then use BBEdit to "zap gremians" to a .dxf file. I then open that result in either Autocad or LibreCAD. I just did one and have opened it in LibreCAD but it's too big to attach here. I'm on holiday so I don't have a full set of tools with me but try this link.

[docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 08:37PM by vegasloki.
August 22, 2013 05:13PM
Cool. Thanks.

I've got it all done up in mastercam. I'm just still curious about the offset hole-to-slot relationship. Anyone know?
Attachments:
open | download - i3-mastercam-screen.JPG (169.9 KB)
August 22, 2013 08:43PM
proticus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool. Thanks.
>
> I've got it all done up in mastercam. I'm just
> still curious about the offset hole-to-slot
> relationship. Anyone know?

That looks like it's the bearing location for the print bed (Y axis travel). There are printed bearing holders but many, including me zip tie the bearings to the plate. It shouldn't be an issue.
August 22, 2013 08:48PM
proticus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately the Air 2 does not use the same
> frame as the i3.
>
> Ok, I've made some progress in converting the pdf
> to a dxf, but I'm hung up on one little thing.
> Maybe it's supposed to be this way, I don't even
> know what's supposed to attach to it. It could
> also be caused by the pdf to dxf conversion,
> though all of the other geometry seems to be
> exactly the correct size and location.
>
> The holes to the left and right of these slots are
> half a millimeter off of center. Are they
> supposed to be centered?

Yeah i know the air 2 is different was just suggesting you try some dxf files that work and would prove your cad set up is working.

Interesting comments by vegasloki .. i wonder why git hub downloads are problematic

Good luck
August 23, 2013 12:04AM
Aaaaaand I now know that the holes i was worried about are for zip ties and not bolts. Lol. So I'm good to go. Thanks for the heads up vegasloki.
August 23, 2013 02:07AM
Even though dxf are text files, they have to be interpreted by the client. Different platforms have different line breaks and sometime those can be problematic when the file is interpreted.
August 23, 2013 07:25AM
DXF for autocad/mastercam/etc...
Attachments:
open | download - PRUSA I3 FRAME SINGLE PLATE.DXF (571.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login