Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-Axis Sticks, Then Skips Ahead

Posted by MaFraL 
X-Axis Sticks, Then Skips Ahead
September 15, 2013 12:33PM
When I'm printing with my Prusa Mendel, the print head will be moving along its rails then stick in place for a second or two and then begin moving again, ruining the print by offsetting all layers printed after the stick, resulting in a bifurcated piece. I don't know the cause of the problem. My thoughts have been either that the rails are bent, there is an electronics malfunction, or there is a problem with my firmware. I'm currently using Gen6 electronics with Sprinter firmware. Any advice would be appreciated.
Re: X-Axis Sticks, Then Skips Ahead
September 15, 2013 01:28PM
I had this same issue with my mono Mendel, after researching a bit I read that it could be the motor wasn't getting enough current so I upped the current, only by a very small amount and the problem went away, I hope this helps you too.
September 15, 2013 01:45PM
Okay, thanks. I'll have to try adjusting the potentiometer for that motor and run a few prints. I'll post with results once I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 01:46PM by MaFraL.
January 18, 2014 02:53AM
I had the same problem.
First I checked the belt wasn't rubbing against its guides on both sides.
Then I loosened the belt to the most it could be loosened to.
Then I drilled holes in the extruder to mount the X axis on bearings using tie-down straps.
Then I cleaned the rods with circuit-cleaner. Then I lubed the rods with lithium grease (the person and JCar said he uses Lanolin).
Then I tried adusting the setting on the driver board.
Then I tried using 3 bearings instead of 4.
Then I tried using Marlin instead of Sprinter.
After all that I noticed that the hex screw holding the gear onto the motor shaft could do with a 1/4 turn extra tightening (be careful not to strip your thread, it's not a very strong thread).
Problem solved.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 03:07AM by Sandstorm.
January 18, 2014 11:33AM
Okay, thanks. I adjusted the potentiometer for the stepper motor and haven't had the problem again. Although I haven't printed much with it since I posted last. I checked that screw after I read your post, but it seems to be tight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 11:35AM by MaFraL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login