Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out

Posted by AlexBorro 
Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out
September 17, 2013 12:32PM
Hi Guys,

I have upmerged the larsbrubaker Bed Auto Leveling code to the latest Marlin version...
It makes the printer setup and operation way easier!!

check these videos:

System demonstration: [www.youtube.com] (English subtitles available)

Printing in a really uneven bed: [www.youtube.com]

Do you want this amazing feature??

[github.com]

Best regards.

Alex.
Re: Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out
September 17, 2013 08:30PM
Wow, this is great, I really want this, can you elaborate on how to implement it? I'm trying to imagine how this could be implemented without requiring a servo motor. Anyway that could be acheived?

Thanks for posting
September 17, 2013 08:38PM
All the code and the instructions are available on github, check it out.

About the servo.. humm.. We are about to test a IR sensor, but it is not an easy task... so far the only way I see is using a servo motor to lower and raise a mechanical probe.. But it is quite cheap.. you can get a regular servo for about $10...

Best Regards.

Alex.
September 17, 2013 08:59PM
Where does the servo attaches to the Ramps? Can't find it in the instructions
September 17, 2013 09:16PM
The RAMPS 1.4 has 4 output for RC servos..

Please check at [reprap.org]

If you don't find, I can provide some pictures.

Alex.
September 17, 2013 09:48PM
Got it !

September 20, 2013 10:32AM
This is a really neat project, and certainly has a high 'coolness' factor. But I don't know that it's really worth the effort, unless you just really like hacking.

Since I designed and installed my Z coupler supports, I haven't had to re-adjust my bed for a month now. Nothing changes over time.

[www.thingiverse.com]
September 20, 2013 12:02PM
I don't know what printer you have neither your bed material, but once you have an adjusted printer, you don't need to re-level the bed unless you change something..

The question is: it's really boring leveling the bed, specially if you have a 4-screws one... With auto leveling, the system do the dirty job for you... and the Z-high as well...

It took me about 30 minutes to mount the servo+endstop in the X-Carriage. It is the same time it takes to perform a good bed manual leveling.. and I never have to care about it again... but in the end, it's up to you...

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 06, 2013 11:57AM
Very nice work
Thank's a lot

[vslot-europe.com]
Forums and Ressources : [mytechno3d.com]
October 06, 2013 03:59PM
Would a "switch on a stick" work with your code? I'm thinking of a one time leveling rather than a fully automated process. Mount the stick, run the code, remove the stick.
October 06, 2013 04:55PM
Yes, it will work, but you need to run it always before a printing, because leveling data are not stored.. and are erased after a G28 command (homing)..
And be sure to keep the sensor always in the same position, specially Z-Offset (vertical distance of probe and nozzle).

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 06, 2013 05:07PM
Ok, could the data be extracted (or displayed) after the level process and then input to one of the header files? Put another way - could an "initial leveling" be compiled into the code? Obviously, I'm looking at getting rid of the normal initial level process.
October 06, 2013 05:17PM
Yes, I got it.. If you have programming skills, you can modify the EEPROM data structure and add the planning information there..

Besides that, I will try to implement such feature in near future...

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 06, 2013 06:13PM
Ok, sounds great. I'm simply thinking about a binder clamp holding the Z stick on. Probably some cute little printed part to go between the clamp and the stick(or simply print the stick as well). It would need to be rigid enough to trigger the microswitch. That's not a real demanding design constraint ...

Thanks!

Bob
October 11, 2013 08:16PM
Wow this is great, leveling my bed has been such a nightmare, I switch between several glass plates and have to re-level every time.

I'd like to implement this but I'm having some issues. I've followed the instructions on github, but I'm not sure how to actually get it to work.

After I home, it reports the position as
X:0.00Y:0.00Z:7.70E:0.00 Count X: 0.00Y:0.00Z:7.70
with the Z parameter corresponding to the offset I entered into the config, but after that the nozzle will not move lower than that point, I can't move it to Z0. Also, after I home it, if I try and do a 3-point leveling with G29 it just probes the home position 3 times, but reports the X and Y positions it was supposed to have moved to. Any idea what I'm screwing up?
October 12, 2013 04:55AM
James123, I'm having the reverse problem lol.
Auto home works perfect but when I g29 it will probe all 3 spots fine but
My Z axis reverses. When I try to move my Z it will not go up anymore it moves down into the bed it thinks its going up because the counter is going +. If I only auto home the Z axis works like its suppose to but after I run m29 its reversed? Anybody got any ideas?

edit I re-downloaded firmware and started over all is working great now smiling smiley time to do some test prints

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 09:18AM by skew.
October 12, 2013 09:28AM
@James, you should set the following line to false:

#define min_software_endstops false

@Skew, your Z axis get reversed ONLY after performing G29?? Have you tried moving the Z axis after a G28 ??
It doesnt make sense since G29 don't affect anything related to axis movements..

It is a bug, I have just realized.. I will try to fix it asap.

Alex.
October 13, 2013 07:39PM
That did the trick, thanks Alex!
October 13, 2013 08:17PM
@James, I have updated the Marlin official version with a fix for this issue in Bed Auto Leveling.
Please download the latest version and look at configuration.h BAL section.

Alex
October 14, 2013 08:34AM
Just a noob question.... (still waiting for parts for my I3) so can't play and test yet. But for sure this is going to be on the I3. Its awesome...

Question..... i quess you dont need a z end stop any more when you have this?
And how did you mount the servo on the extruder part?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 08:39AM by Justintime.
October 14, 2013 08:46AM
Hi Justintime,

Actually the Z-Probe becomes your Z-Endstop... you can have both as well (Z-Probe and Z-Endstop)... in case of servo failure, the Z-Endstop will avoid a bed collision. You just need to wire them in series (if using Normally Closed contacts).
I don't have the Z-Endstop...

About the servo mounting on X-Carriage, check the mount I made: [www.thingiverse.com]
You can make a similar for your printer..

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 15, 2013 03:12AM
It would be awesome if someone made a tutorial with especific parts and step by step instrucctions on how to mount this,I think is a really cool addition to any reprap.
October 15, 2013 12:43PM
Except for the probe it's self, most of the information on doing this is in the Thingiverse instructions for printing the mount. I suspect that the switch is either glued to the end of the probe or there's another printed part description coming "real soon now".

Bob
October 15, 2013 01:01PM
While the instructions were generally clear, it did take me a while to figure out that I needed to jumper Vcc and 5V on my RAMPS board to power the servo. If you bought your machine in a kit like I did you may not realize this.
October 17, 2013 05:03PM
Hi everyone!

First, here's my contribution: I whipped up a quick endstop mounting arm for a 9g servo:

[www.thingiverse.com]

I also copied Alex's fine servo mount into openSCAD, so you can make parametric adjustments:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Now, my question:

I managed to get all the hardware apparently working, but when I run a g29, the Z-axis homes once and the probe retracts. I get an "endstop hit: Z" message, and pronterface echos three lines, indicating that it probed Z at three locations, but nothing has actually moved. Marlin also seems to think the probe was left at one of the far probing locations.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have gone over my configuration.h, and I sure can't find anything weird, but I've attached it in case there's anything I've missed.

Thanks everyone!

-Z
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (25.2 KB)
October 17, 2013 05:11PM
Hi Zenn,

First thanks for the models... the endstop mounting seems nice... does it have a tight fit in servo output axis??

About your issue, if you are using my branch firmware, please download the official Marlin version. The BAL is already integrated

I guess you forgot to attach your configuration.h, but try with official version. If the issue were still there, please shoot a video and upload to youtube.

Let me know your progress.

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 17, 2013 05:37PM
Hi Alex, and thanks for the quick reply!

On the mount, it holds the servo arm pretty tightly, but I recommend using a small screw to keep everything secure.

I saw that the changes were integrated into the official Marlin, so that's what I was using (Congratulations!).

I got my configuration.h attached in my previous post, I guess I forgot to push the button smiling smiley

I think I might have some other endstop issues going on, which might be the root of the problem. If I can't get it sorted in the next couple hours, I'll get a video uploaded.

Thanks again!

-Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 05:40PM by zennmaster.
October 17, 2013 05:51PM
Your configuration.h seems ok regarding BAL... just change NUM_SERVOS from 3 to 1.

Best Regards

Alex.
October 17, 2013 06:08PM
Sorted it!

Somehow in all the firmware updating, I manged to get some nonexistent max endstops working. When I homed the extruder, both the max and min endstops would go high, so nothing moved.

I uncommented "#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS" in configuration.h and now everything is working great!

Thanks again for getting this great feature ported over!

-Z
October 20, 2013 02:22AM
Anyone got a mount for the mendelmax 1.5+????
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login