Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out

Posted by AlexBorro 
Re: Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out
May 03, 2014 11:49AM
Why is there a difference between doing a G29 from Pronterface and doing G29 from the Smart Controller?
May 03, 2014 03:50PM
None. Well, if you "do a G29" from the Smart controller - your G29 has to be in your gcode file - inserted there by your slicing software, or inserted manually yourself. I don't have a G29 option on my LCD.

When you do a G29 in pronterface, it's the same thing - it's just sending G29 to your Arduino/Ramps board.

In slic3r I have it set to add G29 after a home, on every print. Then I put the gcode files on an SD card and use that in the LCD unit.
May 03, 2014 07:04PM
I cannot "do a G29" from my LCD either. I have the RepRap Discount whatever one, not the full graphic one though.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
May 07, 2014 02:14PM
I inserted the G29 into my start gcode.

But doing a G29 thru Pronterface and doing on via the smart controller seems to be different. I don't see HOW.
May 08, 2014 03:02PM
Am having issues with my servo.
When i plug it in and power on, it moves to 0 degrees and it sounds like it's trying to move past it.
In pronterface when i check the angle with m280 p0, it returns 0.

Then when i try to move it to any angle, m280 p0 s100, it'll rotate it to that angle, then the USB connection to arduino dies & proterface connection gets broken. I need to unplug/plug usb to reconnect via pronterface.

Also, where do i connect the probe switch on a ramps 1.4?

Thanks
May 08, 2014 03:16PM
This seems to be more a hardware issue than anything else... Is the servo a new one and did you test it outside of the printer? For me the servo is somehow faulty, at least it´s electronic.

The switch for the probe is your new z-endstop winking smiley It simply replaces the original z-endstop of your printer.
May 08, 2014 03:58PM
Yes it's a brand new servo from the hobby shop.
How can i test the servo?

So currently i'm using the Z-min end stop, i'll swap it over to the one on the probe?
May 08, 2014 04:07PM
If you don´t have a servo tester maybe your hobby shop has one - just to make sure...

I forgot to ask if you have the 5V power connected to the pin where the servo is powered from or at least bridge the jumper on the RAMPS board to get the power directly from the board? The jumper is located next to the power input of the RAMPS board.

As long as the servo makes troubles I would use the original z-min endstop. If the servo works properly you can swap over.
May 08, 2014 04:23PM
intosite
Am having issues with my servo.
When i plug it in and power on, it moves to 0 degrees and it sounds like it's trying to move past it.
In pronterface when i check the angle with m280 p0, it returns 0.

Then when i try to move it to any angle, m280 p0 s100, it'll rotate it to that angle, then the USB connection to arduino dies & proterface connection gets broken. I need to unplug/plug usb to reconnect via pronterface.

Also, where do i connect the probe switch on a ramps 1.4?

How is the servo powered? If it's off the arduino, change it to use a 7805 to power the servo. The Mega 5v power is near its limit with a RAMPS.

I have the probe switch wired to the Z-min endstop.
May 08, 2014 11:14PM
i'll won't be able to go by the hobby shop anytime soon.

I connected a jumper on the pins just beside the reset Switch.

[reprap.org]

Based on that schematic, it's the 5V & VCC pins, just left of the reset switch.

Servo is connected to the first 3 vertical pins on the right of the reset switch.
May 08, 2014 11:34PM
intosite
i'll won't be able to go by the hobby shop anytime soon.

I connected a jumper on the pins just beside the reset Switch.

[reprap.org]

Based on that schematic, it's the 5V & VCC pins, just left of the reset switch.

Servo is connected to the first 3 vertical pins on the right of the reset switch.

Using those connections will work, but will give you big problems because there is simply not enough power available for many servos.
You risk loosing some big prints because of failure to supply the needed current.
The 7805 chip can be bought from most electronic supply shops and there are millions available online and through ebay. Not expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 11:34PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
May 08, 2014 11:38PM
regpye
Using those connections will work, but will give you big problems because there is simply not enough power available for many servos.
You risk loosing some big prints because of failure to supply the needed current.
The 7805 chip can be bought from most electronic supply shops and there are millions available online and through ebay. Not expensive.

I'm totally new to electronics and reprap. I was following a guide i found online to setup the servo. Thus I'm not aware of another way to hook it up.

What's the 7805 chip and how would i hook it up to the RAMPS & Servo?
May 08, 2014 11:47PM
intosite
regpye

I'm totally new to electronics and reprap. I was following a guide i found online to setup the servo. Thus I'm not aware of another way to hook it up.

What's the 7805 chip and how would i hook it up to the RAMPS & Servo?

For the 5 volts I used a 7805 regulator and put the 1 and 2 pins in the power plug of the 12 volts input to the RAMPS board. Pin 3 (output) I took a lead to the 5 volt point on the RAMPS board.
Works easy and the correct voltage.

[regpye.com.au]
May 08, 2014 11:54PM
Thanks alot!
I think i get what you mean.

Let check if this is right.

Remove my jumper that connects the 5V to VCC pin.
7805 - Pin 1 - Connect to 12v input.
7805 - Pin 2 - Connect to Ground.
7805 - Pin 3 - Connect to the 5v pin i just disconnected
Servo leave it as it is.

(edited)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 12:00AM by intosite.
May 08, 2014 11:55PM
intosite
Thanks alot!
I think i get what you mean.

Let check if this is right.

Remove my jumper that connects the 5V to VCC pin.
7805 - Pin 1 - Connect to 12v input.
7805 - Pin 2 - Connect to Ground.
7805 - Pin 3 - Connect to the VCC pin i just disconnected
Servo leave it as it is.

That is not correct. Connect the 5 volts to the 5v pim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 11:56PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
May 08, 2014 11:56PM
Awesome!

Will need to go find the 7805 chip. Will post back my results.

Thanks!
May 08, 2014 11:58PM
intosite
Awesome!

Will need to go find the 7805 chip. Will post back my results.

Thanks!

Make sure you connect the 5v to 5v. Do not connect to the vvc you will blow something.

[regpye.com.au]
May 09, 2014 12:00AM
Oh.NOTED.

7805 Pin 3 - to 5V pin.
May 09, 2014 12:02AM
intosite
Oh.NOTED.

7805 Pin 3 - to 5V pin.
correct

[www.ebay.com.au]

[regpye.com.au]
May 09, 2014 01:08PM
I think i might have a faulty servo.
Got the 7805 and a new servo just in case.

Wired the 7805 up with the first servo i was using. Now the USB connection doesn't disconnect, but i still hear the sound like the servo is trying to go past 0 (trying to turn but getting jammed).

When i issue any m280 commands, nothing happens.

Replaced the servo with a new one. I can control it with m280 commands. Though i still hear sounds like it's trying to go past 0, but it's much softer (first servo has metal gears, new one is all plastic)

Question: Occasionally the servo "jumps" very minutely, like a degree and goes back. When the steppers moves x,y, or z, the 'jumping' happens more frequently. Is that normal?
May 09, 2014 09:02PM
intosite

Wired the 7805 up with the first servo i was using. Now the USB connection doesn't disconnect, but i still hear the sound like the servo is trying to go past 0 (trying to turn but getting jammed).

Replaced the servo with a new one. I can control it with m280 commands. Though i still hear sounds like it's trying to go past 0, but it's much softer (first servo has metal gears, new one is all plastic)

Question: Occasionally the servo "jumps" very minutely, like a degree and goes back. When the steppers moves x,y, or z, the 'jumping' happens more frequently. Is that normal?

Make sure that the servo arm is in the correct position before you screw the arm onto the servo.
Best way to do this is to leave the arm off, andthen turn on your power and let the servo home, then attach the servo arm while in the home position.

[regpye.com.au]
May 09, 2014 11:46PM
I just added a 7805 to my RAMPS board for the servo, as well as a switch to control the motor cooling fans. Now whenever I turn the fans on, the servo jumps about 10 degrees. smiling smiley

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
May 10, 2014 12:08AM
AbuMaia
I just added a 7805 to my RAMPS board for the servo, as well as a switch to control the motor cooling fans. Now whenever I turn the fans on, the servo jumps about 10 degrees. smiling smiley

Try putting a small disc capacitor across the fan connections to stop any back EMF being sent out. It sounds to me like a spike is being sent and causing the servo to jump when to connect the fans.

[regpye.com.au]
May 10, 2014 01:00AM
regpye
intosite

Make sure that the servo arm is in the correct position before you screw the arm onto the servo.
Best way to do this is to leave the arm off, andthen turn on your power and let the servo home, then attach the servo arm while in the home position.

It's not the arm that's hitting. My arm can rotate 360 unobstructed. Even without the arm, i can hear like the gears still trying to move even at 0.

What value disc capacitor should i try?
May 10, 2014 02:14AM
intosite
regpye
intosite

It's not the arm that's hitting. My arm can rotate 360 unobstructed. Even without the arm, i can hear like the gears still trying to move even at 0.

What value disc capacitor should i try?

It doesn't matter much about the exact size, a 0.1uF is probably a good one to try.

[regpye.com.au]
May 10, 2014 05:47AM
[www.youtube.com]

A video of the servo. You can hear the gears moving, when i move any servo.
May 10, 2014 06:01AM
intosite
[www.youtube.com]

A video of the servo. You can hear the gears moving, when i move any servo.

Have you changed the time off for the servo? It is a setting in configuration.h
The setting is designed to allow the servo to be on and available for a short time, enough for doing the probing and then turn off to stop any of this interference.

[regpye.com.au]
May 10, 2014 07:29AM
No i did not change any settings for time off. It wasn't mentioned in the tutorial i followed.

I believe it's this line?
// #define PROBE_SERVO_DEACTIVATION_DELAY 300

Will give it a go tomorrow when I get access to my printer again.

Cheers
May 13, 2014 09:09AM
Hi Alex,
great work. I am making an electromagnet operated stick with switch, rather than RC servo. Using Melzi with Panelolulu2 interface, where are two switches available as P27 and P28, one of them I want to use to switch on the elmagnet.
Any suggestions how to implement your firmware?
Greeetings
otas
May 15, 2014 07:00AM
can anyone help me with my auto bed in the start of my G28 and just the start! my printer just gos to fast but everything else works fine see video as video speaks a 1000 words [www.youtube.com]

thanks Carl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login