Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out

Posted by AlexBorro 
Re: Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out
August 15, 2014 09:06AM
does anyone have the files for auto bed leveling on prusa i3v i tryed following the videos directions and it keeps comming up with endstops inverted when i verify the file in arduino old and updated version i would like to try someones who has it working
August 15, 2014 09:45AM
Can you explain a little more about your problem? You said it keeps coming back with end stops inverted on arduino old and updated. I don't understand, do you mean it won't compile in the arduino IDE or are you having a problem when you issue G29? Why not try inverting the endstop if that's the problem? Taking someone else's files might help but probably just be easier fixing yours. Have you already been printing without auto bed level?
August 16, 2014 10:18AM
its in arduino i havent uploaded to the board yes ive printed without the autoleveling i just want to see if a good file goes thru arduino verification or if i get the same error
Thanks Don
August 16, 2014 10:19AM
sorry im not good at programming board but i am at proggraming cnc machines
August 16, 2014 12:24PM
When I get a chance to be at my PC/printer later I will post my files for you to take a look at if you want? I will have a totally different set up to you so you can't use it unless you modify it to suit your machine, but if you want to use it as a comparison that's fine. I would also have to tell you I have some extra code in my setup thanks to Roxy which makes things work more smoothly and with greater control when issuing G29.

Which version of arduino do you have and when did you last download a fresh copy of marlin? I had problems getting auto levelling to compile at first as some of my files were from an older version and they didn't like each other.
August 16, 2014 03:54PM
ddutch
its in arduino i havent uploaded to the board yes ive printed without the autoleveling i just want to see if a good file goes thru arduino verification or if i get the same error
Thanks Don

If you downloaded a fresh copy of Marlin, can you verify that in the Aruduino program before you make any changes for auto bed leveling?

Which version of Arduino do you have? You probably should be using at least 1.0.5 for compiling a new Marlin firmware.
August 16, 2014 04:22PM
i did that it works fine but i entered all the stuff from videos and instructions then i verified it and i getthe error endstops inverted
August 16, 2014 04:36PM
ddutch
i did that it works fine but i entered all the stuff from videos and instructions then i verified it and i getthe error endstops inverted

Can you the before and after copies of your Configuration.h so we can see the difference. Maybe we can pinpoint what the issue is. I think you may have just entered something wrong causing the compile error.
August 16, 2014 05:35PM
heres before
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38v.zip (168.1 KB)
August 16, 2014 05:36PM
heres after
Attachments:
open | download - configuration.h (30.5 KB)
August 16, 2014 08:10PM
Ok, I'm a little confused. The two configuation.h files are very different, not just the auto bed level part. What marlin were you using before and where did you get the version you are trying to use now? Since the name is Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38v, that doesn't look like it came from the main Marlin git repository. The configuration.h does not even have any of the ABL stuff in it, so it looks to be a very old version of Marlin that probably doesn't have any ABL support in it.

If you can, you should get the latest Marlin firmware from the github repo, [github.com] and download that. After you get the latest version, the first thing to do is go through the configuration.h file line by line and put in whatever changes you have in your current working copy (minus the ABL stuff) and make sure it compiles and loads. Then try to add the ABL modifications from the videos. I recommend Zennmaster's ABL video series, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
August 16, 2014 08:17PM
Sorry I still haven't been back at my computer but I just had a quick look at the 'after' (I can't view .zip files on my phone but .h is fine) at first glance I can't see why it wouldn't compile but I think you may want to check your bed level variables. You have z raise before homing at 4 but your probe offset is -12.35 which isn't enough clearance when it extends (I'm assuming you have a retractable probe?) it should be 15 like z raise before level. Also you have z raise between probes at 0.01 which could cause you problems if your bed is out by more than 0.01 at it's next probe point, which it likely will be. Roxy's code keeps the probe down during the routine to increase accuracy and repeatability and a raise that small would break my probe. If it works for you that's all good just thought it worth mentioning.

I'll keep looking for an answer to your actual problem. Someone will work it out.

*Also have you got all new fresh copies of all the files in the marlin repository or are you copying a new configuration.h file into your old setup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 08:27PM by Brainscan.
August 16, 2014 09:20PM
i got all new files from github and made the changes from the maker farm firmware like it said then i followed the directions from zennmasters website part 1-3 but didnt get to upload it to printer
August 16, 2014 09:43PM
here is the prusa i3v file from makerfarm
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38v (3).zip (168.1 KB)
August 17, 2014 12:42AM
ddutch
here is the prusa i3v file from makerfarm

Ok, again, where is this firmware coming from and is this what you are using? Because this firmware has no support for auto bed levelling.
August 17, 2014 01:35AM
That's the firmware Colin offers for the MakerFarm i3v. I don't think he's used any of the updated Marlin code since he started making the i3 kits.

MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v
RAMPS 1.4
0.4mm E3D v6 for 1.75mm
August 17, 2014 04:46AM
AbuMaia
That's the firmware Colin offers for the MakerFarm i3v. I don't think he's used any of the updated Marlin code since he started making the i3 kits.

Ok, well ddutch, you aren't going to be able to use auto bed leveling with that firmware.
August 17, 2014 12:01PM
i updated to the new marlin from github with the autobed leveling and changed it like the website said thats where i get the endstops inverting this is then config .hfile
Attachments:
open | download - 8-17configuration.h (30.5 KB)
August 17, 2014 05:56PM
ddutch
i updated to the new marlin from github with the autobed leveling and changed it like the website said thats where i get the endstops inverting this is then config .hfile

Ok, so when you were using your printer before you started doing anything with auto bed leveling, which configuration.h were you using? Were you using the one from the zip file you posted earlier with no changes made by you? You just downloaded from the Makerfarm website, loaded it into Arduino, and flashed it as-is?

And what version of Arduino are you using with the new Marlin?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 05:58PM by brucehvn.
August 17, 2014 08:31PM
If it is the case you were using the stock configuration.h from Marlin_RAMPS.....zip, then I do see some problems. The motherboard define is set to a different number.

Old config
#define MOTHERBOARD 33

New config
#define MOTHERBOARD 34

But most likely your compile issue comes from here where it looks like your copy and paste didn't get the two slashes for the comment

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
   fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
 #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
 #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

That should be "// fine endstop settings: ..."

You also missed the bed size settings:

// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 200
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 317.5
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 185
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

Check your old configuration.h. The max values were all set to 200 before.

You also have EEPROM support in the new configuration.h and it was turned off in the old one. However, it's probably good to have that on for ABL.

I would suggest you go through the files with some kind of diff program to show the differences between the two.
August 17, 2014 08:31PM
i didnt have autobedleveling at all i was using the makerfarm file that didnt have the auto bed leveling in the config.h file it worked and also verified good .i tryed the one from makerfarm firmware download and i used the updated Arduino
both said same thing enstos inverted
August 17, 2014 10:58PM
Thanks that is the size of my bed around 8inch x 12 inches i made my bigger ,as for the #ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
#endif

I didnt change anything there i just changed #ifdef as instructed not sure what happened in the #ifndef section (.Comment out the top three, which are the ones involving XMAX,YMAX and ZMAX endstops. When you’re done, the whole section should look like this:

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#endif

i did try following what you said but still did same thing. I just wanna say I really appreciate the help i will go thru and compare both again tommorow .the motherboard is suppose to be 33 for the makerfarm
Thanks i hope im not confusing you i sure am confussing me
August 17, 2014 11:10PM
Ok, well in the stock configuration.h that comes with Marlin, this is what the endstop pullup section looks like:
#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

Can you give us the exact error message you see in Arduino when you try to verify and which version of Arduino are you using?
August 17, 2014 11:31PM
i copied yours in now im getting( const unsigned int dropsegments=5; //everything with less than this number of steps will be ignored as move and joined with the next movement)from /Marlin.h:22,
from cardreader.cpp:1:
Configuration_adv.h:240: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before 'const')

Ill attach file
Attachments:
open | download - configuration.h (30.6 KB)
August 17, 2014 11:40PM
this file here that i an attaching is from makerfarm it has

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (16 KB)
August 18, 2014 01:17AM
I wasn't saying to make yours look just like the stock configuration.h. I was just showing that the "// fine endstops" was commented in the latest file.

Again, so what version of Arduino are you using to compile with?
August 18, 2014 02:04AM
Ok, this is a configuration.h file I made by taking the latest Marlin version and merging in the original Makerfarm changes plus your ABL changes. It compiles with no problem for me in Arduino 1.0.5. I did change your raise z between probes as .01 didn't make any sense there as Brainscan pointed out, but everything else should be the same.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (32.1 KB)
August 18, 2014 04:58AM
I have a problem with auto leveling.
It is working and I can print (although I want to design a hall probe for the i3 rework for more precision/repeatability)

Problem is that with G28 it homes X and Y against the MIN endstops that I have and it probes the bed height with the probe.
After G29 and probing the whole bed, going to 0 with G1 X0 Y0 does not return them to the endstops but about 50 mm out.
Also my prints are setup to print at X100Y100 center of the 200x200 bed (pretty standard) but they are printed offset from the center by the same amount ~50 mm.
August 18, 2014 05:16AM
Draob
I have a problem with auto leveling.
It is working and I can print (although I want to design a hall probe for the i3 rework for more precision/repeatability)

I would be interested in working with a hall effect sensor too,but so far I can't work out how to implement it.
My i3s are all using servos and micro switches, and sometimes I have to re-calibrate because the settings have changed.
I think maybe the constant touching the bed with the micro switch causes some movement or strain somewhere and puts things out.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
August 18, 2014 05:33AM
I am planning to base it off this design:
Rostock Z-Probe Automatic Bed Leveling with Hall-Effect

Only thing is that you need to pull out the probe tip manually, but since you need to remove prints anyway and prepare the bed this is not a big problem for me.

If you do auto bed leveling with G29 a couple of times in a row you can see how much the mechanical switch deviates everytime.
Some printers who have a metal bed use a magnetic sensor directly on the carriage and get the same results with +/- .05 precision everytime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login