Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out

Posted by AlexBorro 
Re: Bed Auto Leveling.. check this out
October 22, 2013 05:25AM
How to implement mechanical z probe end stop with optical end stop?

Can i put it in series with optical end stop?
And what about the empty slot (end stop position) on the right on the Ramps?
Is this usable? Can't see a description on the Ramps drawing.
October 22, 2013 06:58AM
In order to have both Z-Endstop and Z-Probe I suggest you using both mechanical. It is possible having a mechanical and optical endstops but it make things a little more complicated.
I didn't get what you mean on "empty slot on the right of the ramps".

Best regards.

Alex.
October 22, 2013 08:18AM
Thanks I will do that then... Both mechanical.
What lines in Marlin do I have to change? It was a long story for me to get the optical end stops working. Found the right optical config on the forum and copied to that.

I mean the pins on the Ramps the connection for the end stops fx. Z endstop. The left is used and next to it there is one unused.... Is this a position for max endstop then?
October 22, 2013 08:22AM
RAMPS have 6 endstop connections, Max and Min for all 3 axis (X, Y and Z).
Wire both endstops (Z Endstop and Z Probe) in series, connect to Z-MIN and enable pullup for Z-MIN....

Check the original configuration.h for endstop section... the original config should work fine for you..
October 23, 2013 05:13PM
Designed a servo holder for my extruder... i have a single plated x carriage and no holes in the extruder... i will upload the stl. to Thingyverse

Followed the instructions..... but the servo is not responding. On the commands.
You said i could use the standard Marlin. But that wasnt working for me in the first place. (when i had three end stops)

I have one on the left for the X. and i have one for the Y on the front of the Y bed....

Could it be something with the endstops so the servo dont respond to commands?

Its a new servo so i doubt it could be that. is there a way to test it.

I have attached the config.h, maybe you see something?
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (25.2 KB)
October 23, 2013 05:42PM
Justintime, many people are asking about similar issue..

I have just added this note on Marlin Readme. Check if it solves your problem:

For RAMPS users: By default, RAMPS have no power on servo bus (if you happen to have a multimeter, check the voltage on servo power pins). In order to get the servo working, you need to supply 5V to 5V pin.. You can do it using your power supply (if it has a 5V output) or jumping the "Vcc" from Arduino to the 5V RAMPS rail. These 2 pins are located just between the Reset Button and the yellow fuses... There are marks in the board showing 5V and VCC.. just connect them.. If jumping the arduino Vcc do RAMPS 5V rail, take care to not use a power hungry servo, otherwise you will cause a blackout in the arduino board ;-)

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 23, 2013 09:17PM
If you do have a power hungry servo, you can get small switchers off of eBay for about $2 to $4 (delivered from China) to generate far more +5 than a servo ever should use.
October 25, 2013 03:13AM
I really love this idea, and I am attempting to implement it on my 3d printer using my Printrboard.

Some internet chatter indicated that the latest, greatest Marlin software, which is set up to run this new Z-probe, was configured for gen 6 / sang. I purchased the Printrboard, and set up my printer with a servo that mechanically works, and all the wiring is ready to go.

Alas, once I have everything connected and ready to go, I realize I need a servo connection on my Printrboard.. the only thing I see that remotely looks plausible is a "1 N-MOSFET for low power Fan or motor." This is a 2 pin, 12v / ground mosfet, where the servo I bought is a 3 pin, +/-/signal device.

Are there any other options for setting up the z-probe servo on a Printrboard?

James
October 25, 2013 03:25AM
Haha.... Auto bed leveling is working now.

Thanks Alex for your help.

Btw it's only working in Pronterface. Maybe worth mentioning, for Repetier users (like i was/am)
Will there be support for Repetier - host?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 03:42AM by Justintime.
October 25, 2013 04:19PM
@kurgancd: Actually you need just one output for your servo, the Signal one... The others are power supply (GND and 5V). You can find some unused output in your board and use it. Of course you still need to supply 5V to the servo.

@Justintime: The BAL works independently from the Host... it is done in the firmware.. just send G28 and then G29 commands to the printer and you will see the magic. You can do that in Pronterface, Repetier Host or whatever PC software you have... it just need the ability to send commands to the printer..

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 26, 2013 06:32PM
Hi

Sorry but i didn't understood every thing in english winking smiley

Can you confirm me, the servo should be wired in the 3x4 plot in the ramp (what is the wire order, from a brand of servo to another, it is not the same), and for the endstop, i have to wire it in parallel with the Z endstop ?

Thanks by advance winking smiley

par avance merci !!
A plus
elicend

--> si vous voulez découvrir le Slot :
www.miniend.com
October 26, 2013 07:05PM
If your Z end stop switches are set up as "normally closed" then you wire the new switch in series with the old one. If the switches are wired to the "normally open" contact on the microswitch, then you wire them in parallel. Both switches must be wired the same way for things to work. Both should be wired normally open or both should be wired normally closed.
October 27, 2013 08:52AM
Thanks for precisions.

This hack will work even if the job is sent from a SD card?

par avance merci !!
A plus
elicend

www.miniend.com
October 27, 2013 08:57AM
Hi Elicend, this is not a hack, it is a feature ;-)

And sure it will work with SDCard. I don't even use PC to print!!!

After you perform a G29, the printer will apply the rotation for all incoming move commands like G1.

Best Regards..

Alex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 09:11AM by AlexBorro.
October 27, 2013 09:09AM
The amazing thing about this is that it's all in firmware. There's nothing going on outside the Mega to make it all work. I suspect the Z axis steppers get a bit more of a workout running this. It might be worth paying a bit more attention to them when doing the auto leveling. Normally they just sit there doing nothing 99% of the time. With the leveling that might go to only 90% of the time. A lot will depend on how level the bed is before you start.
October 27, 2013 05:30PM
Well, translation mistake when i say hack winking smiley

I don't know why, but my bed level is never the same from one day to another... it will be very helpful

par avance merci !!
A plus
elicend

www.miniend.com
October 27, 2013 05:46PM
If your bed level changes day to day, it may change during a print. I would take a close look at how mechanically stable your printer is. You might want to think about bolting / gluing / clamping it to a flat surface to stabilize it some more.
October 27, 2013 05:54PM
I have to say that my printer is in... the "under house', don't know the translation winking smiley
So the T° is not stable, day by day is a little more, but, one week to the other, yes, not a lot, but you are right, i expect the bed to grow up maybe with vibration too.

I often move the printer too (that why i made a 50x50 carter, includind every thing needed) to take it to events.

par avance merci !!
A plus
elicend

www.miniend.com
October 27, 2013 06:08PM
"under the house" = basement.

If you keep your filament down there, be careful about humidity. All of these filaments soak up water from the air. It does them no good.

I would see if you can get a piece of thick plywood (> 13 mm) to mount the printer on. That should help the bed level while it's in one place. Any time you tear it down and set it back up, you will have to re-level. Loss of level that way is not a concern. It's an expected thing. It's the unexpected that concerns me.
October 27, 2013 07:59PM
thanks fr translation, and advices

par avance merci !!
A plus
elicend

www.miniend.com
October 27, 2013 08:38PM
..... you *very much* do not want to hear me try to speak French..
October 28, 2013 03:13AM
Hi Alex,

Is there anyway to pause the system after the calibration?

I don't have any servo right now. Was thinking to use manual L angle bracket with the end stop.

Attached it to the head during calibration.

Once done, remove it and then continue printing.

Thanks.
October 28, 2013 12:18PM
Hi danlyc, yes, you can..

If you use the PC to print, you can do like that:

1) Run G28 for homing;
2) Attach the probe and run G29;
3) Remove the probe;
4) Start Printing... Take care to REMOVE THE G28 COMMAND FROM GCODE!!! Otherwise, it will clean all the leveling information.

Best Regards.

Alex.
October 28, 2013 03:16PM
I thought mine was working okay..... but it isnt......mechanicaly yes.... calculating No

He does the probing but in a wrong sequence (then in the YT video).....when i press G28 it homes and probes... then i press G29 it probes again on the "home"spot and two different places. Not on three.

The leveling is way off.... i see the z rotating.... when moving x axis etc.....

I dont have a makerfarm Prusa....and my home switches are on other places than the Makerfarm.

My Home switch for Y is on the back and home X is on the left.
I dont know it has something to do with probing order and the sequence in the firmware.

I hope its a bit clear.....what i mean....for the meantime. I will probe with a piece of paper ;-)
October 28, 2013 08:42PM
Update, New autobed level firmware is working great! prints are better than they ever have been since having my i3 for over a year. Also I started using the new CURA slicing speed is unreal. The 128mb yoda is almost an instant slice smiling smiley

Prusa i3
QUBD extruder
1.75 abs
Marlin autobed level

Pics of Yoda last night as soon as printer was finished almost no clean up 1 hair on his chin and a couple on his ears
Prusa i3 Yoda
October 30, 2013 03:47AM
Could you post a picture of how the servo is connected to the RAMPS module? When sending the commands my servo does not respond.
October 30, 2013 04:17AM
@hawk

Zennmaster made a hardware video. Where he is explaining the hardware setup.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 04:32AM by Justintime.
October 30, 2013 04:22AM
Thanks for that Justin. I got it working where the servos moves when I turn on the RAMPS, but thats it M280 P0 shows the correct position, but M401 and M402 do nothing.
October 30, 2013 04:38AM
Did you set the angles in the firmware?

And be sure you have the wiring correct from servo to the Ramps. I had to rewire.
October 30, 2013 04:46AM
So simple. Thanks I wasnt even thinking about that since it jerked when I powered on. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login