Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Z-nut heat fit advice

Posted by THE_SHRUB 
Prusa i3 Z-nut heat fit advice
September 25, 2013 10:04AM
Hi all,

I am currently building a Prusa i3 and I encountered a problem where the m5 z-nut will not seat into position on my x-end parts. I read somewhere that the nut can be "Heat fit" but I saw no mention on how to do this. Can anyone suggest how best to go about this so that I don't end up turning my parts into a pile of molten abs?

Also, I think I ruined two of my z-axis linear bearings by forcing them onto my smooth rod while trying to fit the x-assembly on (a couple of ball bearings fell out of them). I was wondering if anyone has a good method for removing the linear bearings from the X-end parts so I can replace them?

Thanks!
Re: Prusa i3 Z-nut heat fit advice
September 25, 2013 06:12PM
If you have a soldering iron, just hook the tip into the middle of the nut and push them into x-end, holding them for a while. ABS is relatively heat tolerant, and a typical electronics soldering iron isn't going to heat up a nut enough to damage it. Generally, you don't even need to do that, since the nuts are being forced down by gravity.

Which version of the x-ends do you have? The box version, or the single plate? The box version you can just loosen the nuts and pry them out with a segment of smooth rod. With the single plate version, you'll have to gently work them over the small ledge and slide them out. Neither should be too difficult. Also, if you're losing bearings, make sure you have linear motion rod and not drill rod (which may be slightly oversized for LM8UU's), and that your parts are very cleanly printed and well aligned.
Re: Prusa i3 Z-nut heat fit advice
September 25, 2013 09:10PM
The x-ends are the single plate variety. I will try to work them out as best as I can. I am also considering inserting the new bearings with them already on the smooth rod, that way they are already aligned properly.

Thanks for the advise! I will do these things and hopefully all will be well smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login