Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax printing help (weird prints)

Posted by cyrus104 
MendelMax printing help (weird prints)
October 29, 2013 12:36AM
I've got a mendelmax 1.5+ that I've built and have been using for about 6 months. I'm in the process of printing the parts to build a second one but recently started having issues printing. The top, bottom, and front come out great. The back and the back to edges (back left and back right edge) have been coming out really really terrible. I've tried to physically trouble shoot and have come up short. I have not changed anything in my marlin firmware in months, I've been pretty much using the same slic3r config for months too. Of course I'll change the infill based on the object. I've included some pictures of a 20mm hollow box. The pictures included do not have the top on it but I have two of these object printed and the top prints fine, I just didn't want to waste any more filament.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0118 (1).jpg (159.5 KB)
Re: MendelMax printing help (weird prints)
October 29, 2013 07:32AM
Since noting has changed I'd check:

1) Cleaning the rods
2) Lubrication
3) Loose bolts
4) Y table hitting the under structure of the frame
5) Y end stop wire (or other wires) catching the table.
October 30, 2013 10:48PM
I have checked all of the items above. I've popped off the belts and can slide the X and Y axis without any resistance. I have a buda 2.0 nozzle and replaced the tip with a brand new one to see if that might be the issue, but no change. For testing purposes I am able to extrude 100mm @ 400mm /m and it's very fast and smooth, I know this isn't really a useful test but it's something I tried.

The box on the left was printed at 100% flow and the box on the right was printed at 90% flow. The top and bottom on the 90% flow does not fully create a flat surface but looks like planks due to the gap.

Right now I'm printing at:
Dia: 3mm
Extrusion Mult: .9
Layer height: 1mm (never given me a problem before)
Infil: .4
Infil every: 2 layers
Temp: 230
Speeds are all the Slic3r 9.10b defaults
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (396.6 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (483.9 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (422 KB)
October 31, 2013 09:13AM
As you are printing, what's going on?

My guess would be that you get blobs of plastic on the print head and the motion you have set up in Slic3r pushes them to the back of the print. I know that watching a print for an hour isn't all that exciting... The reason could be moisture in your filament. You might try puting it in a warm oven (< 150C for ABS, lower for PLA) for a few hours to dry it out.
October 31, 2013 06:23PM
What size nozzle are you using?

October 31, 2013 06:29PM
October 31, 2013 06:56PM
A layer height of 1 mm with a 0.35 mm head means that you are pushing a *lot* of plastic on each layer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login