Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing items that need support, what are my options?

Posted by vetteguy112233 
Printing items that need support, what are my options?
October 30, 2013 12:50PM
I bought my Makerfarm 8" I3 kit in hopes of making AR15 magazines. I've since realized that I can't do what I want, due to the plastic sagging in areas without support. I can rotate the magazine so that it is standing up and possibly get it to print that way, but I worry that it's going to warp from being so tall. I thought printing it laying down would be best and had modified one drawing so that one side of the magazine is completely flat, but then I realized that printing the top isn't going to work without support material.

What options do I have at this point besides getting a printer with dual extruders?
Re: Printing items that need support, what are my options?
October 30, 2013 12:57PM
Ummmm ..... errrrr.... that's only the start of your problems. I doubt you can print plastic accurately enough on one of thes printers to do mags. They need some very close tolerances to work properly and some very smooth surfaces to not jam. You probably want a laser based stereo lithography machine for something like that.

The alternative is to include supports in your print (by design) and then take them out once the print is done. This is what was done on the printed extruder parts that came with your kit. I suspect you remember breaking off the extra plastic and cleaning out the holes.
October 30, 2013 01:21PM
I figured right now that would be my only option. Currently I've only been using Sketchup and I've modified several files for better printing, so I guess I'll play around with that. I've seen others that have printed ABS magazines and got them to work. I have no plans on selling them, I just want to have this capability and turn out a functioning product. Maybe someday even try an AR lower.
October 30, 2013 07:01PM
I've spent a lot of years doing gun smithing. I think you are going to run into some problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login