What decides how my item prints
November 19, 2013 09:57PM
I assume it's a setting in Slic3r, but I recently made a hollow cube and put a marble inside. I noticed that my printer was printing the posts diagonally, see attempted diagram.

1________2
4_________3

It prints from 1 to 3 then 4 to 2 and repeat.

I noticed that I could have put the marble in much earlier, but because it was going diagonally it would have hit the marble, where if it was going 1,2,3,4 it would always work around the marble.

Hopefully this makes sense. So what causes it to print diagonally instead of in straight lines around the model?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 09:58PM by vetteguy112233.
Re: What decides how my item prints
November 20, 2013 10:38AM
I suppose it is a slic3r and the way it generates a g-code.

I just started printing with my i3 yesterday. First print was on slic3r. Part was tube like, going along Z axis, 115mm high. Tooks 4hours and 10 minutes. Today I tried the same part with Cura. Pretty much the same settings- speed, layer, etc... Took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Just half the time. And made it in better quality. Slic3r was not able to completely print letters that were along Z axis. Cura had no problem at that.

And cura has a spiral setting. It is in expert settings. It did not made made any infill then I tried it. Just went around the part in a spiral fashion. Should work perfect for you.
Re: What decides how my item prints
November 20, 2013 10:45AM
It IS the slicer that determines this, and to my knowledge you really have no control over it.

If I understand what you are doing, you are not building a closed cube, No faces, just vertices and edges, and the ball/marble sits inside and cannot be removed. If this is what you are doing, then the vase option will not work for you. Vase is for a single object with a single perimeter that is only 1 extrusion width wide. There are no real layers in a vase object, it just continuously rises as it works its way around the perimeter while continuously extruding. Your object would have 4 perimeters on each layer, so it's incompatible with vase.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login