Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wooden Mendel

Posted by trystanlea 
Re: Wooden Mendel
November 30, 2009 06:05PM
Trystanlea: yep they're one piece - router bit in a pedestal drill, makes a crude mill smiling smiley
December 02, 2009 10:10AM
Nice idea Triffid_Hunter, I think I might have some router bits someware will have a go at using them for some of the next parts. Thanks again for the print outs, just finished making the z-motor-bracket, z-tensioner, z-bar-top-clamp, y-motor-bracket and y-idler they were of great help smiling smiley

Uploaded some new pics of the build on the picasa album here:

DSCF2006.JPG
From reprap build
January 02, 2010 02:35AM
Triffid_Hunter, trystanlea, Grogyan, Adam,

I've created Mendel/Wood on the wiki:
[objects.reprap.org]

Would you guys like to start copying over your text, images, and files over into that part of the wiki? I think it would help a lot of new wood-mendel builders to have your work in our documentation.
January 03, 2010 04:45PM
I'm not too sure what you mean by project lead on the wiki Sebastien, all i've done is produce accurate drawings for the 3 non replicable pieces.

This was something that I was doing on the side to get quotes from CNC companies in my area, as the plan was, and I hope still is, to have a point of sale for NZ for the RepRap Mendel.
January 04, 2010 01:29AM
I was fuzzy and still am fuzzy on who's done what. No matter.

I've changed "Project Leads" to just "People".
January 12, 2010 10:51PM
Perfect. We're looking at bootstrapping ours with metal as well!

Thanks!
January 21, 2010 04:43PM
Hi Trystanlea,

Awesome work on the wooden Mendel! I've created a Development page for you on the new wiki - if you link to your stuff or even better post it there that would be very helpful for Sebastien and I who are trying to make it a central point to easily access any and all Rep Rap related development.

Your Wooden Menden Development Page: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Development:Trystan's_Wooden_Mendel

Cheers,
Rob
January 21, 2010 04:46PM
also for those confused by 2 messages about development pages by both myself and Sebastien, the one I posted above is specific to Trystanlea's work - eventually pages like this should be created for each individual's repstrap project (feel free to do so yourself! instructions are in the wiki).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 04:48PM by theOtherRob.
Sci
February 01, 2010 07:22PM
I'm looking at making wooden versions of the parts too, but for making moulds to then cast plastic ones.
You may find the shareware software Pepakura Designer 3 helpful. It's made to take 3D files (including STL) and output a layout you can cut and fold to produce a replica.
Just untick "2D Menu > Show Tabs" and go to "Change Scale > Scale Factor.." and make sure the scale's set to 1.0000. Then as long as your printer's set up right, should be able to print out an exactly scaled foldable layout of the item.

Carefully selecting what faces you want to be detached from the rest (scalpel tool selects the edges) gives neat profile shapes to work from. Or rather I expect them to be. Going to cut them out and glue them to some correct thickness wood.
February 05, 2010 01:29PM
Rob, Thanks for setting up the development page, I'm sorry I didn't see you post sooner. I've been concentrating on the openenergymonitor project that I've been working on (linked above) over the last month, but now that that's up an running I'm intending to do some more on the mendel build, so hopefully I will start updating the page soon smiling smiley

Sci, that sounds like a good approach, I will have a look, are you having any luck with your molds?

Trystan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 04:15PM by trystanlea.
March 19, 2012 11:56PM
Hi Trystan,

I just found your pics of your wooden mendal and was wondering how the final project turned out.

Have you printed any parts on it?

I am thinking of building one similar to this and would like to hear your views on the wooden parts.

I had thought of using as much wood as possible and deleting the threads altogether maybe out of ply.

Any thoughts, ideas appreciated.

My email is gregted at tpg dot com dot au

Greg
March 20, 2012 03:47AM
Hi all

I want to build a mendel from ply also and was wondering how yours all turned out.

Have you any pics of the prints yet?
March 21, 2012 12:31PM
this is an old old topic, but you're better off looking into a mendel90
March 24, 2012 09:27AM
I don't believe there is a Mendel90 version in wood but it sounds like a good idea. The acrylic frame could easily be built from good quality plywood, which is far easier then trying to fabricate corner peices in a normal Mendal out of wood.

The real question is how could you design a Mendal90 out of wood that doesn't require equipment that most folks don't have? Like a CNC router. So the support for the axies would need to be made from common ww machines like a table saw, band saw, jig saw, drill press, ect.

I havn't read much of this thread, maybe its covered here.
March 24, 2012 02:38PM
There certainly is a Mendel90 made from wood! [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

I made the first one simply by buying an MDF sheet cut up into four pieces free at the local DIY store. All I had to do was cut out the rectangle in the middle of the gantry and drill the holes using printed paper drill templates.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
rcs
March 24, 2012 04:25PM
+1 I think its a great model Rigid,simple and elegant, less parts etc mine has been running for 2 months with no problems.

Thanks Nophead for a grand design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login