i3 Single Sheet Thickness
January 08, 2014 07:23PM
The thickness of the aluminum plate doesn't have to be exactly 6mm, right? I'm in the US, so I'm planning on using 1/4", which is nearly the same. I've read through the forums and it seems like people are using different thicknesses, but I just wanted to make sure.

"First, it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done."

– Hudson Taylor
Re: i3 Single Sheet Thickness
January 08, 2014 08:06PM
Also, I'm getting it cut on a water jet, so I'm supposed to have it cut the holes at a smaller diameter and drill and tap it myself, correct? Is there a file that has this adjustment already, or do I need to go into the file here : [github.com] and make the changes myself? Thanks.

– Hudson Taylor
January 08, 2014 08:37PM
If anything, I would go even thicker on the plate if possible.

The minimum hole diameter is going to depend a lot on the water jet machine being used. I would check with the guy running it and see how small a hole they can do accurately. You may wind up hand drilling all the holes from scratch.
January 09, 2014 02:38PM
The water jet has an accuracy of .005", and the owner said he's pretty sure the smallest hole he can make is .013" (about a third of a millimeter). That seems accurate enough to me, although I don't have enough experience in water jets to know. If I'm going to be tapping these holes, I should make them smaller anyway though, correct? or are they supposed to be tapped at a size larger than 3mm, and that's why the drawings have the holes at 3mm?

Also, there are several drawings at the link in my previous post, and they have some significant differences. Is there a most up to date file I should be using?

– Hudson Taylor
January 10, 2014 08:44AM
The hole needs to be smaller than 3mm. Look on the tap for a hole size or drill to use. It will probably list something like "no. 32" and you will have to cross reference this to a drill diameter. If it is not on the tap, look up a metric tap chart on the internet. I would have the holes cut smaller than needed and then drill the to size. You will be tapping very small threads and a good hole will make all the difference in quality of threads.
January 14, 2014 12:53PM
Thanks, that makes sense. The only other thing I can't seem to find is an up-to-date drawing of the plate. I looked here: [github.com] which gives a link to here in the readme: [github.com] but this is a variation with larger bearings and smooth shafts, and I can't find the standard sized plate. The first link even says it's for the normal size in the title, but the description in the readme says otherwise. Anyone know where the standard 8mm smooth shaft plate design is? I have experience in CADD, so I can make modifications if necessary, but there should be a file somewhere I would think...

– Hudson Taylor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login