Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Custom Machined Metal Mendel

Posted by swighton 
Hey Swighton, Really nice work on the metal mendel. I was curious, in your finished model, the vertical support on the right of the photo. What material is that? Is that Delrin? I am just about to start making my first mendel, and I also have access to a great machine shop and was planning on machining my first pieces. Those bearing supports look like the most complex piece, I imagine delrin would allow for easier machining. Hows the rest of the project coming? thanks
Re: Custom Machined Metal Mendel
June 14, 2010 02:33PM
Hey!
Truly nice work on this setup! Is there any metric mesure drawings available for this? Guess there is a way of translating them I just don't know how.
Thanks for any pointers on this and congrats to your great work!
June 14, 2010 06:15PM
I'm very highly interested in these metal parts. I view them as a cheaper alternitive then paying 300 for someone to print plastic versions ( I have connections to a metal shop). Has anyone constructed this, and verified all the engineering is ironed out? I'm a software guy, I can put it together and enjoying doing so, but I'd have a hard time figuring out a mechanical flaw. Thanks! I've already forward the link to the shop.

Edit.
the wiki looks like it's only 1/3 completed.. after 6 months. That is worrisome about the completion of the project. Though I want to clarify, I build stuff for fun, I have no experience with metals, that's why I'm cautious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 06:18PM by L4nce0.
August 06, 2010 09:28PM
This is a small update from a ghost machinist here. I was trying to machine the 360 Z axis bearing and, since I do not have an indexing head, found it quite difficult.
This version is made from a hex bar instead of a rod and does not require a hex head.

Hope this can help someone
Attachments:
open | download - 360BearingFromHex.pdf (32.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login